Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

DA Mafia: Suggestions + Q&A

power_settings_newLogin to reply
+12
username290
ZeroPassion
Endless Sorcerer
ScottyAdams
Galaksii
niney16
DMK
CrimsonOverlord
Omega Ophion
Linda-Senpai
Lux
faervel
16 posters

descriptionDA Mafia: Suggestions + Q&A - Page 5 EmptyDA Mafia: Suggestions + Q&A

more_horiz
First topic message reminder :

If you have any suggestions for roles to be used in future games, leave them here and I will consider them. If you have any questions regarding the game of Mafia, ask them here and I will answer them, so long as they are not concerning an on going game.

descriptionDA Mafia: Suggestions + Q&A - Page 5 EmptyRe: DA Mafia: Suggestions + Q&A

more_horiz
hazmah wrote:
Hmmm, I'd like to talk about roles for a second.

First, Auditor. Why does it change a Mafia role to Mafioso? Like, what does it mean? If it makes said Mafia person lose their role, that's bad to become a Mafioso then it's counter-productive. You're being detrimental to the Mafia, which is the most anti-town faction. If it means Mafia gets a second NK with Mafioso... then stop. Like, seriously.

Second, Survivor is the stupidest role ever. It literally serves no purpose. This is the role that in my honest opinion requires the least amount of player skill, if any skill at all. Hence imo it should just be removed. If you need a fodder role just go the citizen route. At least that role has a purpose.

Third, I would like to put forth an idea called the Lawyer. It can work for both town and Mafia and it basically prevents the lynch for that day. During the day the lawyer can decide to make the lynch effectively useless. Of course after D2 it becomes Null and it is revealed to town that their is a Lawyer (the revealing can be changed). This is too prevent a bastardy ending to a game. It also makes the user feel a sense of urgency and forces him to assess the pros and cons rather than just going for an end game win with both Mafia and Town.

If a Lawyer is used, the user is revealed (regardless of town or Mafia) to the players. This is to add another thing to the pros and cons.

Now for game mechanics.

First, Mafia should have daytalk. The reason why is because it ruins the main niche Mafia has--Teamwork. One could say you could hint to your partner, but that's just honestly really bad. Give me one consistent way to do that that is also viable. And on its own Mafia don't really have any advantages. If people see this, I hope you come out of your shell and don't just say this makes the game harder. In fact in some instances it makes it easier as its easier to spot connections.

Second, you should use quicktopic. It is just better. I mean, it's simple to make, and it allows non-mafia members to see it after the game has ended. This allows people to understand why the game went such a way and why the Mafia members did what they did.

Third, I suggest diversity in the games you host. Having the same setup every game is just... boring.

The Auditor changes a Mafian to a Mafioso as a downside to the role, so that they have a risk of messing up. It does NOT give them a second night kill. 

The Lawyer is an interesting idea, but would it be Town or Mafia, or would they both have their own version of it?

I have no experience with Quicktopic, but two years ago when I originally brought Mafia to DA I suggested that we use a seperate website for night chats and I was told no because we won't be using anything outside of this forum itself. That one is out of my power.

I don't know what you mean by having the same setup. I have never used the same setup for multiple games asides from in Wolf Mafia, and that was a very basic game solely to get everyone used to the basics.

descriptionDA Mafia: Suggestions + Q&A - Page 5 EmptyRe: DA Mafia: Suggestions + Q&A

more_horiz
Q: What's modkill? 

more_horiz
A: A modkill is when a player is killed by the host due to inactivity, breaking rules, etc.

more_horiz
And he's not being replaced? 

That seems to hurt his faction a lot. 

more_horiz
There are times when a player simply can't be replaced.

more_horiz
Can we have a Dead Chat for this game, as well?

more_horiz
DanelerH wrote:
Can we have a Dead Chat for this game, as well?

more_horiz
Suggestion: Mafia Live. Could be hosted in a chatbox (or some other suitable place, Linda doesn't have to be the host necessary. 

Another suggestion, have a Mafia Night chat somewhere outside DA. Someone has already bringed this up (I think that it was hazmah) but Pep has noticed something (very well noticed btw). User's post count keeps rising, even while other users cannot see the Night Chat and who is in the Night chat, the post count will still rise and can be used as an advantage and kinda cheating. 

more_horiz
Lux wrote:
Another suggestion, have a Mafia Night chat somewhere outside DA. Someone has already bringed this up (I think that it was hazmah) but Pep has noticed something (very well noticed btw). User's post count keeps rising, even while other users cannot see the Night Chat and who is in the Night chat, the post count will still rise and can be used as an advantage and kinda cheating. 

We will not be using outside sources for our Mafia games. As for the method of cheating, I was always aware of that possibility, but if you are to go as far as to continuous check every Mafia participants post-count, then why even play the game? All that does is ruin any fun you would otherwise have trying to legitimately deduce who is apart of the Mafia.

more_horiz
NightBot wrote:
Lux wrote:

We will not be using outside sources for our Mafia games. As for the method of cheating, I was always aware of that possibility, but if you are to go as far as to continuous check every Mafia participants post-count, then why even play the game? All that does is ruin any fun you would otherwise have trying to legitimately deduce who is apart of the Mafia.

May I ask why an outside source such as quicktopic cannot be used?

more_horiz
Because I will say, mechanical gameplay errors are one of the things players will look for, such as role pm wording / win conditions if they are not explicitly said. While those are more game related an be a result of not seeing how a game could be broken for one side, a site "error" is more severe and would be the cause of bias if noticed, furthering a case upon a player for reasons outside of a game thread and more of the mechanics. It's never a good situation to be in, and it cannot be ignored since once you see it, you're gonna have a hunch.

Quicktopic is safe from how DN has used it. It's literally just a site to host private conversation topics to yourself.

more_horiz
@Anzo doesn't want outside sources to be used for DA's Mafia games.

more_horiz
Lux wrote:
Suggestion: Mafia Live. Could be hosted in a chatbox (or some other suitable place, Linda doesn't have to be the host necessary. 

I've already been considering Mafia Lives, but I'm still unsure on how it will work in the chatbox.

As Botto has already said, Anzo will not allow me to use any outside sources for this game.

more_horiz
Linda-Senpai wrote:
Lux wrote:

I've already been considering Mafia Lives, but I'm still unsure on how it will work in the chatbox.

As Botto has already said, Anzo will not allow me to use any outside sources for this game.

You could still have a hidden topic for it.  You would just have to impose a smaller time limit for the night actions.

more_horiz
DanelerH wrote:
Linda-Senpai wrote:
Lux wrote:

You could still have a hidden topic for it.  You would just have to impose a smaller time limit for the night actions.

I'm not understanding what we're talking about here. All Night Chats already have their own hidden sections, it's been done like that from the start.

more_horiz
Linda-Senpai wrote:
DanelerH wrote:
Linda-Senpai wrote:
Lux wrote:

I'm not understanding what we're talking about here. All Night Chats already have their own hidden sections, it's been done like that from the start.

Just ignore that.  I misread what was being talked about.

more_horiz
The Mason leader can now use its Night Action every night, even if he/she fails to recruit a member. Unlike previously, where they had to wait a night before being able to preform their Night Action again if the recruitment was successful.

more_horiz
Can you give us a date or anything for next game? It would be nice. 

more_horiz
Can we please host the next game now? No reason for this hiatus really

more_horiz
Yeah, I'm up for a game as well.

more_horiz
New role (created by none other than @Debi and @Lux cheers

The Bomber
-It would be an Evil Neutral role
-It would be able to give a bomb to the chosen player A
-Player A would get rid of the Bomb by lynching another player (Player B)
-Player B would get rid of the Bomb by lynching another player (Player C)
-Player C would die. 
-You get notified by a host via PM if you would be given a Bomb
-Bomber wouldn't be immune to bombing (he can also die to bomb)
-Bomber's win condition would be to be the last person alive
-The Godfather would be immune to the bombing
-An auto-vest would protect a player from getting bombed
-When the bomb gets to the Player C, the host would make a post that Player C got killed via bombing, unless Player C is as mentioned, The Godfather or has an autovest. In that case, no post would have to made. 
-When investiated, the Bomber would show as Evil Neutral
-

more_horiz
what do you mean with lynching?¿

more_horiz
I mean that it would be like a virus. 

I get bomb from The Bomber, and the first player I lynch gets the bomb. 

more_horiz
P.S. I forgot to add some things.

If the player makes no lynches, he'll get bombed at the end of the Day.

And I'm open for a suggestion on the next scenario:

What if Player A has made a lynch and doesn't change it? 

If he changes it the bomb would be given to the player he lynches. 

more_horiz
Guys don't ignore this >.< 

more_horiz
That means the bomber is kinda obvious. The one who lynches just to pass the bomb. Also those win con are hard already

more_horiz
It is very interesting actually. And no it wouldn't be obvious as nobody would just lynch out of nowhere just to get rid of the bomb if it's not in the final minutes..lit would give a bit of an intensive feel. 

But I agree with @CrimsonOverlord that the win condition is literally impossible. Maybe he should show as innocent for it to be easier for him to actually have a chance.

Also i think that if the one with the bomb already made a lynch he will hve to make a new one for him to be able to give the bomb up...also there should be infinite amounts of time a person can give up the bomb to somebody e
Se imo to make it more interesting. 

more_horiz
Pepchoninga wrote:
It is very interesting actually. And no it wouldn't be obvious as nobody would just lynch out of nowhere just to get rid of the bomb if it's not in the final minutes..lit would give a bit of an intensive feel. 

But I agree with @CrimsonOverlord that the win condition is literally impossible. Maybe he should show as innocent for it to be easier for him to actually have a chance.

This can be changed then! 

Also i think that if the one with the bomb already made a lynch he will hve to make a new one for him to be able to give the bomb up...also there should be infinite amounts of time a person can give up the bomb to somebody e
Se imo to make it more interesting. 

But how could one get bombed then? 

more_horiz
But tbh though, I find the Win Condition fair.

If one player gets bombed, one get killed and one get lynched the odds are pretty even. 

more_horiz
Is interesting but I dislike it cause the role itself can just watch the chaos while others are going through hell (#LazyRole)

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply