Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

DA Mafia: Suggestions + Q&A

power_settings_newLogin to reply
+12
username290
ZeroPassion
Endless Sorcerer
ScottyAdams
Galaksii
niney16
DMK
CrimsonOverlord
Omega Ophion
Linda-Senpai
Lux
faervel
16 posters

descriptionDA Mafia: Suggestions + Q&A - Page 4 EmptyDA Mafia: Suggestions + Q&A

more_horiz
First topic message reminder :

If you have any suggestions for roles to be used in future games, leave them here and I will consider them. If you have any questions regarding the game of Mafia, ask them here and I will answer them, so long as they are not concerning an on going game.

descriptionDA Mafia: Suggestions + Q&A - Page 4 EmptyRe: DA Mafia: Suggestions + Q&A

more_horiz
All we need is for the doctor to make an amazing play and save sombody. Also Crim the gun was going to you. Who would you have shot? Also to not make this post pointless, I think that the gun should be fired at night and not at day.

descriptionDA Mafia: Suggestions + Q&A - Page 4 EmptyRe: DA Mafia: Suggestions + Q&A

more_horiz
I would have shot hazmah.

more_horiz
I agree that we should either still be able to lynch on the day the gun is used or move it to a night action.  Putting the lynch in the hands of one person, regardless of faction, does not seem like the best idea.

more_horiz
I honestly hadn't even realized that the roles description prevented lynch in the day. I will change it after this game.

more_horiz
Linda-Senpai wrote:
I honestly hadn't even realized that the roles description prevented lynch in the day. I will change it after this game.

DA Mafia: Suggestions + Q&A - Page 4 1144978906

Yeah vigging and preventing the lynch for the day BECAUSE of it isn't 100% healthy.

Generally roles that prevent lynching for a day are always bastardy and never should be given out willy nilly.

more_horiz
What are the other forums where I can play mafia?

more_horiz
Lux wrote:

http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/database/mafia-communities/

I just found this on their site since they have a huge mafia competition from several communities, and DAMN there are a lot, especially in other languages too.

There's also duelingnetwork forums, although you need to have an account from DN to actually access DNF.

more_horiz
ZeroPassion wrote:
Lux wrote:

http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/database/mafia-communities/

I just found this on their site since they have a huge mafia competition from several communities, and DAMN there are a lot, especially in other languages too.

There's also duelingnetwork forums, although you need to have an account from DN to actually access DNF.

Thanks my man. I've signed-up but I'll check it more once I get back home.

more_horiz
I'm going to do an analysis on a few roles now that the game is over and try to change a few mechanics. Please wait a day or two (currently on phone) before starting a new game so I can help improve the game's mechanics and roles in order to create better Mafia games.

more_horiz
hazmah wrote:
I'm going to do an analysis on a few roles now that the game is over and try to change a few mechanics. Please wait a day or two (currently on phone) before starting a new game so I can help improve the game's mechanics and roles in order to create better Mafia games.

This is only the second Mini Mafia game hosted so far, so keep in mind that the roles are all still being tested.

I'm likely going to make the Mason Leader able to recruit every night due the smaller size of our games, and the Gunsmith will be changed so that there can still be a lynch during that day.

more_horiz
Oh, it's not just the gunsmith (in fact, I don't really have an opinion on that) nor the mason leader. It's other roles.

more_horiz
Role idea:  Whisperer
Faction:  Evil Neutral
Once per night (or every other night), the Whisper chooses someone to whisper and a second target, but is not allowed to pick the same first target twice.  The next day, the first target must try to convince everyone to lynch the second target.  If the first target has a gun, it must be used on the second target at some point during the day.  The whispering ends once the day ends.  The first target is not allowed to say xe was whispered until the whispering ends.  The Whisperer wins either if xe lives and Town loses or if one of the second targets is lynched or shot.

Example:  I'm the Whisperer and I choose to whisper Crimson with Lux as the target.  Crimson tries to get Lux lynched the next day, but fails to do so.  The next night, I am not allowed to whisper Crimson, so I choose to whisper Debi with Hazmah as my target.  Crimson is now able to say that xe was whispered the previous day.  Coincidentally, Debi has a gun, so Debi must shoot Hazmah.  Since one of my second targets died, I met my win condition.

more_horiz
DanelerH wrote:
Once per night (or every other night), the Whisper chooses someone to whisper and a second target, but is not allowed to pick the same first target twice.  The next day, the first target must try to convince everyone to lynch the second target.  If the first target has a gun, it must be used on the second target at some point during the day.  The whispering ends once the day ends.  The first target is not allowed to say xe was whispered until the whispering ends.  The Whisperer wins either if xe lives and Town loses or if one of the second targets is lynched or shot.

Example:  I'm the Whisperer and I choose to whisper Crimson with Lux as the target.  Crimson tries to get Lux lynched the next day, but fails to do so.  The next night, I am not allowed to whisper Crimson, so I choose to whisper Debi with Hazmah as my target.  Crimson is now able to say that xe was whispered the previous day.  Coincidentally, Debi has a gun, so Debi must shoot Hazmah.  Since one of my second targets died, I met my win condition.

While this role is definitely unique, this is more reliant on othe people's skill rather than your own which contradicts the basis of the game. It also has too many wincons and it should be one or the other. Also how do you make the first one "try" to lynch the second. Like how much do they have to "try". It's too vague.

more_horiz
DanelerH wrote:

For Tracker's and Watcher's sakes, only the first target is visited.  In the example, I visit Crimson during Night 1 and whisper "kill Lux."  On Night 2, I visit Debi and whisper "kill Hazmah."

more_horiz
hazmah wrote:

ginormousego/10

p_p

more_horiz
oh I can't edit posts

lol

I'll help out w/ looking at the roles, although a dif time.

more_horiz
DanelerH wrote:

Eh I dont really like this cuz it relies on the whispered target complying. It's like the Blackmailer role that made someone unable to do anything in the day other than vote for a lynch or skip day. Everything gets fucked up if they choose to simply not comply with it.

more_horiz
You could make a medium that has access to dead chat? It would be better in longer games, But if you make a retributionist which once a game can bring somebody back to life they cant be in the same game as the retributionist would know who the medium is.

more_horiz
Omega Ophion wrote:
You could make a medium that has access to dead chat? It would be better in longer games, But if you make a retributionist which once a game can bring somebody back to life they cant be in the same game as the retributionist would know who the medium is.

I am vs this one...the real issue is 1st of all it kinda kills the deadchat idea since they can't talk about anything spoiler at all cause one of them might get revived...and honestly people tend to go afk after they die but this forces them to stick around just in case they MIGHT get revived...let'em rest in piece dammit...It's just too much trouble for an idea that isn't that great imo...

more_horiz
Yeah I'm not making any roles that revive dead people

more_horiz
And Linda, this is one childish idea but also a bit cool. How about players get points after every round according to their perfomance? You could call them Mafia Points. It would be something like reputation points, just for mafia. Of course MVP and other users who were awarded with a title would get more points after a round. There can be negative points too (like if you perform badly then you lose some points...). Thoughts?

more_horiz
Eh I dunno about that I think the rewards already do that well enough

more_horiz
These rewards get forgotte  after few days, giving them some sort of meaning would be nice. How do others feel about this?

more_horiz
I never forgot when I won MVP and Best Citizen on Marriland D: tho those were 20+ people games with highly experienced players, so

more_horiz
But still  DA Mafia: Suggestions + Q&A - Page 4 576792747

more_horiz
Mafia points

What would be Mafia Points? 

Mafia points would be like sort of reputation points, just for game called Mafia. Every user who competes in Mafia will get Mafia Points based on their perfomance. So, if you win a "MVP" award, you will get more points than the others. You can also lose points if you don't perform good or do something against the rules during the round of Mafia.

How do I win Mafia Points?

Mafia points will be rewarded by the game host who will choose how many points will they give/take away from a player. Maximum points won/lost can be 30 per round (unless you win an award). If you win an award, you would get 10 additional points

What's the purpose of Mafia Points?

The purpose of Mafia Points is very simple. More Mafia Points you got, the more experienced/better player you are. It's also a next level of competition among the Mafia games. 

more_horiz
 More Mafia Points you got, the more experienced/better player you are.

I don't really like how I use words here.

I'll re-write it to:

The purpose of Mafia Points is very simple. Regardless does your faction win or not, if you perform well, you will get many points. It's also a next level of competition among the Mafia games. 

more_horiz
I'll bring the suggestion to the administrators and see if it can be implemented as a profile field. But the way you have it means I have to carefully analyze everyone's play even more x.x

more_horiz
DA Mafia: Suggestions + Q&A - Page 4 4166208733

My dream came true! 

more_horiz
Hmmm, I'd like to talk about roles for a second.

First, Auditor. Why does it change a Mafia role to Mafioso? Like, what does it mean? If it makes said Mafia person lose their role, that's bad to become a Mafioso then it's counter-productive. You're being detrimental to the Mafia, which is the most anti-town faction. If it means Mafia gets a second NK with Mafioso... then stop. Like, seriously.

Second, Survivor is the stupidest role ever. It literally serves no purpose. This is the role that in my honest opinion requires the least amount of player skill, if any skill at all. Hence imo it should just be removed. If you need a fodder role just go the citizen route. At least that role has a purpose.

Third, I would like to put forth an idea called the Lawyer. It can work for both town and Mafia and it basically prevents the lynch for that day. During the day the lawyer can decide to make the lynch effectively useless. Of course after D2 it becomes Null and it is revealed to town that their is a Lawyer (the revealing can be changed). This is too prevent a bastardy ending to a game. It also makes the user feel a sense of urgency and forces him to assess the pros and cons rather than just going for an end game win with both Mafia and Town.

If a Lawyer is used, the user is revealed (regardless of town or Mafia) to the players. This is to add another thing to the pros and cons.

Now for game mechanics.

First, Mafia should have daytalk. The reason why is because it ruins the main niche Mafia has--Teamwork. One could say you could hint to your partner, but that's just honestly really bad. Give me one consistent way to do that that is also viable. And on its own Mafia don't really have any advantages. If people see this, I hope you come out of your shell and don't just say this makes the game harder. In fact in some instances it makes it easier as its easier to spot connections.

Second, you should use quicktopic. It is just better. I mean, it's simple to make, and it allows non-mafia members to see it after the game has ended. This allows people to understand why the game went such a way and why the Mafia members did what they did.

Third, I suggest diversity in the games you host. Having the same setup every game is just... boring.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply