Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

Football thread

power_settings_newLogin to reply
+3
ScottyAdams
Pepchoninga
Lux
7 posters

descriptionFootball thread - Page 2 EmptyFootball thread

more_horiz
First topic message reminder :

Football thread - Page 2 Uefa-champions-league

Note: this is the thread about the REAL football!

So with another exciting season approaching...let's get into heated conversation!

I'd like to say a few words before that, though. 

Please do not go too hardcore when commenting with trolls and stuff. We'll be trying to hold a nice discussion here!

We'll be covering all sorts of leagues and Champions League, of course. Feel free to discuss anything related to Football.

descriptionFootball thread - Page 2 EmptyRe: Football thread

more_horiz
Pogba's re-debut for United has been delayed, as he is suspended for the opener v Bournemouth. Goes back to the yellows he received in last season's Copa Italia.

more_horiz
Lol that is so dumb...but anyways Pogba was probably bot gonna start the first game anyways. He needs some time to settle in...

Also today marks the start of the new Premier league season! YEIIIIII! What do you think?

more_horiz
Let me predict some results of today ^^

Hull City - Leicester City = 1-2 or 0-2

Crystal Palace - West Brom = 1-0

Burnley - Swansea = 1-2 

Everton - Tottenham = 2-2

Middlesbrough - Stoke City = 1-0 

Southampton - Watford = 3-2

Manchester City - Sunderland = 3-1

I know I'll get most wrong but who cares Football thread - Page 2 3974120512 

more_horiz
Well lol score wise probably yes, but the jeneral outcome not so much. Let me give a little analyzes for myself. 

Hull City vs Leicester - 0-1 - I think that Leicester will be in control for most of the game, since they are the better team in paper, and Hull haven't really made any significant transfers in this window to show that they are coming to the premier league with something more then fighting to stay up in mind, so i do see them returning to the championship next year. The reason that i think that the score will be low is because for me Leicester will take time to return there confidence in front of goal and that will lead to less dangerous chances created throughout the game. Overall i do see a comfortable win for the premier league champions without many chances.

Crystal Palace vs West Brom - 3-1 - both teams have made some good signings and have been linked with a lot of talent tho i do see last years FA Cup runners-up making a great comeback from 0-1. 

Burnley vs Swansea - completly agree with your prediction and don't have anything to say really.

Everton vs Spurs - 0-1 - I think Pochetino's men will start with a closely edged victory under reconstruction Ronald Cooman side. Judging from the performance that the Toffies gave at the Wayne Rooney testimonial they haven't found there full synergy in the attacking 3-rd tho are still very well defensively. But a still hungry and ambitious Spurs side that may not get all the results against the big temas this season will be keen to capitalize on this opportunity and get a good 3 points.

Middlesbrough vs Stoke City - 2-1 - Interestingly enough i do agree that that the newly promoted side will come out victorious. They have done some very impresive buisness over the summer sighning big stars like Victor Valdes (GK) and pretty sure Negredo (ST). With that and a hungry and motivated to archive big things in the premier league side that wants to go the path that Leicester did as much as they can, for me they will be this years surprise team and will shock Stoke City with a close win.

Southampton vs Watford - 0-0 - both teams are with new managers and haven't done any significant buisness, so i think it will be a very slow and uneventful game with minmal chances and highlights.

Manchester Shitty vs Sunderland - 1-0 - For the first game of Pep Guardiola as a manager in the PL and the return of the infamous David Moyes i think we will see a lot of chances from both sides, a lot of great saves from the goalkeepers and glimpses of a new Man City playstyle that would transform them into a wrecking machine (hopefully not) as the season progresses. In the end tho Sunderland will fall over the constant pressure and the match will be settled in favour of Mangalchester Shitty...

This is just a long way to say i mostly agree with your predictions (at least the outcomes) and i just wanted to write ^^

Last edited by Pepchoninga on Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
Just a quick update on how the games today finished (and how wrong i was in my predicitons...) *cough*Double posting to op...*cough* 

Hull City vs Leicester - 2-1 - Surprising result that could mean that the accusations of Leicester being a one season wonder might just be true unfortunately

Burnley vs Swansea - 0-1 - An unsurprising result really. Nothing more to add

Everton vs Spurs - 1-1 - Lux get's this one.This was the game i personally watched and i have to admit after seeing how well Everton started I didn't see a way back for Spurs, but after the break we saw a beast team started I didn't see a way back for Spurs, but after the break we saw a beast team. That goal by Lamela...guy sure knows how to bang them in beautifully. Props to Everton for the solid defensive work and sparks of great play in the first half and beginning of the second.

Middlesbrough vs Stoke City - 1-1 - A solid header by new signing Negredo in the first minutes on his debut (Funny, the guy definitely likes to make good first impressions...Goal with his first shot for Man City and now a goal on his debut with his first shot (header) for Middlesbrough.) put the Premier league newcomers up-front tho in the second half a free-kick by Shaqiri made my prediction for a winning start for Middlesbrough only a dream. Tho apparently, Middlesbrough did have another chance to score a second that hit the woodwork. Unlucky lads!

Southampton vs Watford - 1-1 - I was apparently proved wrong with my statement that the game will be relatively uneventful and that the business of the teams was not anything significant. The game was full with chances from start to finish also decorated with a Ben Watson red card and a stellar performance by Southampton's Sane replacement - Nathan Redmond. I see good times ahead for both teams in the coming season.

Manchester City vs Sunderland - 2-1 - That was the second game of today that i watched and i have to admit the presence of Guardiola was seen very brightly in this game. A penalty in the first 4 minutes was given to Man City and Aguero opened his goal tally of the season by slothing it home from the penalty area. A total domination of possession followed until Defoe equalized with 20 minutes to go. But as fate has it, poor David Moyes's raid on Manchester United youngsters (Januzai and Paddy McNair on loan and Donald Love on a permanent deal) were only his doom when McNair put a goal into his own net as a result of the constant pressure of City. John Stones started in defence and i have to admit he was solid. City's possession was 76.9% compared to Sunderland's 23.1% and City's completed passes was counted to 678 compared to Sunderland's 188...Make whatever you want for the game. Overall tho the stats don't really reflect the performance that Sunderland gave and i think that if they continue to build upon there performances we can see them comtorably in mid-table by the end of the season.

That is all for today's coverage of the games. What are your thoughts?

more_horiz
Sunderland won't be mid-table. They'll survive but it'll be more of the same for them as it has been the previous few seasons.

more_horiz
Nothing much to say.

I call the two Manchester title contenders, with Chelsea finishing not so much far behind them, and Liverpool and Arsenal fighting for the 4th place.

Chickens go back to EL and Leicester to the middle of the table.

more_horiz
Well i think Sunderland had a pretty solid showing against Man City even tho the start clearly didn't show that. And let's not forget that Moyes are actually a pretty decent manager when he finds his ground and if he is let to. (I know i might be saying it because he was a United manager and once a red devil you are alaways gonna be on my good side) but after all he was tipped by Fergie himself, even tho he didn't live up to the high expectations. 

Still standing my ground on the Chelsea situation but we will have to see how they perform on Monday. Today we have to interesting games, especially Liverpool vs Arsenal. The game could give us an inside on who may, or may not end up in the champions league places. All an all, here is my prediction i guess.

Bournemouth vs Manchester United - 0-2 - I predict a solid start for my boys on ere opening fixture. I think that Bournemouth are a team that really would need to step there game up if they want to settle in the premier league as a regular. There showing today could be very important as to what what we should expect from them in the coming weeks. A somewhat comfortable mid-table finish, a low clutch relegation threatened place or straight up relegation battle and posible fall to the championship. United will probably go with a pretty similar lineup as to what we saw at the Community Shield victory apart from Lingard maybe who is still in doubt as he did get a knock during the game, but seemed relatively ok afterwards. 

Arsenal vs Loserpool - 2-2 - Considering the high tempo intensive attacking football that we know both teams do use as seen in there pre-season game, I can definitely see us having a great high score game on our hands today. Both are very similar teams in terms of mentality for me, and if there is a winner it will be the one that truly wants it more. As i do see the similarities of the two teams not allowing to see a clear winner in the fixture i think that even tho they will put a couple of goals in each other's nets it will end in a stalemate.

What are your predictions?

more_horiz
This United seems to be a SERIOUS title contender. A beautiful goal by Zlatan too. I'm still holding on to my opinion that two Manchester's have the most chance to win the title. Which one is more likely to win, we'll see. 

Excited to see Liverpool and Arsenal. And of course, Barcelona tonight in super cup against Sevilla.

Writing this, Bournemouth just scored against United. 1-3 it is Football thread - Page 2 3974120512 

more_horiz
United looked a bit shaky in the beginning of the first half, but so far so good...would've liked to keep a clean sheet but Bournemouth deserve it at least as a consultation...They have played good so far.  Zlatan...GOD...Also to all the haters that say Rooney needs to be dropped...FUFootball thread - Page 2 4204681869 Glory Glory MAN UNITED ^^

Barcelona vs Sevilla - 1-2 -Obviously Sevilla will be eager to win after losing to Real Madrid last week and will definitely want to get at least that trophy in there cabinet . I think that this combined with the absence of some players for barca (Neymar the diver lol  Football thread - Page 2 1151057309) and the somewhat shaky defending during pre-season will be enough for Sevilla to get the trophy. ^^

more_horiz
On Moyes, he is a decent manager, but so is Big Sam. Sunderland have played to their talent in recent seasons, which is Why I cannot see them doing too much, but hey, football is unpredictable at times.

Also, Anyone want Alberto Moreno? He's not a good LB, at all. More of a winger tbh, with absolutely terrible (read: non-assistant) defense.

more_horiz
Sunderland to win MVP award of the year lol...also no bad words for new England manager big Sam...

Yeah lol, give him to Liverpool, they are pronouned for there terrible defenders...oh wait...Football thread - Page 2 1151057309Football thread - Page 2 1151057309Football thread - Page 2 1151057309

more_horiz
Moreno is awful. You need to replace him soon. 

And what a crazy game at Emirates. Liverpool showed better football than Arsenal, but I don't then they should be happy that they allowed Arsenal a chance to come back into the game. 

And Pep your prediction in Spanish Super Cup is absolutely joke. They lost last week so they'll win this time? So why did they lost 3 European Super Cups in a row? I'm little bit furious because you said that, as I am Barcelona supporter (so I'm little bit hot heated because you have said that Football thread - Page 2 3974120512). But come on, it's Barcelona we are talking about. Messi and Suarez, the best striker and the best player in the world are more than capable of doing that. But, the game lasts 90 minutes, hope I won't get shocked  confused

more_horiz
If any team could mess that up, it's us. At least we got the 3 pts, tho this is why we're not gonna win the league honestly. We have these stupid lapses at times; allow teams back into games, when we should be finishing them off.

more_horiz
Yeah, I remember I said once no matter how much you score you can concede equally much Football thread - Page 2 3974120512 

more_horiz
Pretty much, yeah.

more_horiz
Arsenal vs Liverpool - 3-4 - Stunning match. I think we saw exactly the prons and cons of Liverpools side and exactly why we might just not see Arsenal in the CL next season. Brilliant counter attacking football by Liverpool and some very nice goals by Sane and Courtinho. That is what you get with Kloop. Entertaining football at it's best. Even at his time in Dortmund they were always the team that consided almost as much as they scored (both very high lol). It is a very rare thing to see in the modern era of football when you have tactics like "Park the bus" and "Ticki-Tacka" that focus on keeping a solid defensive line after scoring a couple of goals and keeping possession and making fast one-two passes to overflow the opposition's box to score from various angles respectively. Kloop's idea is very different. He gets players with great stamina and work rates and plays a high-tempo non-stop attacking football with little rests and tactical changes in between. This is what won him a Bundesliga title and a CL league trophy at Dortmund, but it was also the same thing that lost him his job in the end. That's why they are not gonna win the league this way. They can get those big results against the big teams, but next weak could lose to Burnley (No disrespect to any Burnley fans). Players get easily tired after such high-tempo games witch leads to inconsistent results. Tho there is another problem with Liverpool that Kloop didn't have as much at Dortmund. The defense. As Scottsy said it was stupid for them to give a chance to Arsenal to come back in the game with some silly defending. Off course this could be because the players were quite exhausted, but let's be honest, we all know liverpool have defensive problems. So unless Kloop does something to change that, they might have some problems especially knowing Liverpools track record with injuries. On Arsenals side of things it's much of the same really. We saw some pretty similar playing styles today but also saw who's was better working. Arsenal remembered how to kick the ball in the final act of the match but it just wasn't quite enough to be the draw. Also we saw that there defensive problem is just as big considering there injuries as well so the signing of Mustafi looks crucial to there season. 

You know Lux i give my opinion. After seeing some of Barca's pre-season games they have somethings to work on. In my honest opinion Sevilla will come with the determination to finaly win and i think if they have the right mind-set there lost to Real Madrid might be just what they need to break Barca. The game will show. My prediction so far have turned terrible wrong till now, so I'm probably gonna be wrong, but who knows. Results are spoken better with action then with words. 

Also there is another pretty big game to cover today ^^
Borrusia Dortmund vs Bayern Munich - 2-3 - I'm a Dortmund fan and i would definitely like to see them lift the trophy today, tho i do believe that Bayern will come on top. It's always very hard to predict this derby since for me the teams have shown that they can defeat each other equally well. The transfer buisness that Thomas Thuchel has done so far is class, continuing the Dortmund tradition of taking young relatively unknown talents and making them into world-class players (that are then snatched by Bayern unfortunately...), has been great, tho after the departure of Mikhtariyan and Hummels the team was left with a lot less already world-class material so i think that at this stage at least raw talent (even with Reus and Aubameyang) will bow down to the star filled team of Bayern, especially wih the addition of former Dortmund captain Hummels and the young Portugess golden boy witch name i forgot Football thread - Page 2 3974120512 . Let's not forget that Bayern replaced Pep Guradiola with one of the finest tactical minds in the modern era of football - Carlo Anccelotti. Overall i do see a high-score game that will ultimately end with a triumph for Bayern Munich ^^

more_horiz
one thing: Klopp didn't win the Champions league with Dortmund. They made the final in 2013, but lost 2-1 vs Bayern.

more_horiz
Oh yeah dumb mistake...Dortmund have won it only once in 1997...

more_horiz
Yepp.

more_horiz
To much stuff to write, to little time to spam Football thread - Page 2 3974120512 

more_horiz
20 minutes until the game starts, let's go! 

more_horiz
Lol your friendly-neighborhood super (bad) reporter will keep you updated on how the game progresses, because clearly i don't have anything better to doFootball thread - Page 2 3974120512 

more_horiz
Why would I need you to update me about the game when I'll be watching it myself? Razz 

more_horiz
Cuz i need to try and think im usefull for something

Update:
Borussia Dortmund 0-1 Bayern Munich - GOAL! Arturo Vidal scores after missing first-half strike! 

more_horiz
Wohoo!

We showed some good football against tough opponent. Suarez still proves his a madafaking beast, Messi is doing Messi things. Impressed by Mascherano, Bravo and Munir at tonight's game. Others did quite well job too.

Also hope that Iniesta's and Mathieu injury's aren't nothing serious. We need our captain on the pitch.

more_horiz
Barcelona vs Sevilla - 2-0 - Well lol, point taken, don't bet against Barcelona...watched the second half, and i guess that was when the fun stuff started. Briliant goal by Suarez, great turn and a predator finish as always tho i was really impressed by new signing Denis Suarez, who not only provided that wonderful ball that lead to the first goal but also put a good shit as a whole. Munir a great talent, and an absolute superstar in the making. Messi is Messi and i'll stop there lol. Sevilla didn't have the spirit i tipped them to have and that was a little bit disappointing. From what i saw, Sevilla didn't really test the Barca defence that much. Congrats to you lol...

Bayern Munich vs Borrussia Dortmund - 2-0 - Even tho Tuchel men played better in the first half and had some golden chances, they definitely didn't put the fight i was expecting them to. Dembele again showed tremendous talent, tho his end product just isn't quite there. Aubameyang didn't impress either with a couple of doggy shots. On the other hand Bayern's defence in the game as a whole sometimes lookecd all over the place. I think Hummels was a little confused for witch team he was playing and Lahm lost his target on a couple of ocasions that could've led to pottetial goals. Vidal had all the best chances for Bayern in the whole match, missing a sitter after a great save by Burkh in the first half, but not making the same mistake after he capitalized on a parried ball in the second to open he scoring. Muller sealed the win after a corner wasn't dealt with and he slot the ball in the back of the net from close range. Interesting game never the less.

Last edited by Pepchoninga on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
Mascherano was the end for all Sevilla's attacks Football thread - Page 2 3974120512 

Sevilla was much more around Barcelona's box in the first half. They haven't done anything worthy, though. 

more_horiz
yall get me everytime. i always think yall are talking about NFL

more_horiz
STX wrote:
yall get me everytime. i always think yall are talking about NFL

You disgrace Football thread - Page 2 4204681869

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum