Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

Football thread

power_settings_newLogin to reply
+3
ScottyAdams
Pepchoninga
Lux
7 posters

descriptionFootball thread - Page 7 EmptyFootball thread

more_horiz
First topic message reminder :

Football thread - Page 7 Uefa-champions-league

Note: this is the thread about the REAL football!

So with another exciting season approaching...let's get into heated conversation!

I'd like to say a few words before that, though. 

Please do not go too hardcore when commenting with trolls and stuff. We'll be trying to hold a nice discussion here!

We'll be covering all sorts of leagues and Champions League, of course. Feel free to discuss anything related to Football.

descriptionFootball thread - Page 7 EmptyRe: Football thread

more_horiz
I hope that you didn't indirectly mean to tell that Pogba is better than Modrić and Kroos. 

more_horiz
Pogba's at his best off the ball, carving space. I should also mention, he's incompatible with Rooney, as he is at his best in a midfield 3, not a midfield 2.

more_horiz
@Lux, I was just countering Scotty's claim. 

@ScottyAdams, I don't think you have watched enoug of Pogba then. Pogba is as wondefull in attack as he is in defence and without the ball. He is also not they player that will always move and find spaces/create them, as this is not in his mentaility as a footballer. He is a Roy Keane in every asset. He can do it all. He CAN, unfortunetely is the key word. Why he isn't doing it is the question. 

more_horiz
I've seen plenty of pogba. I know exactly what he does. And Pep, Modric and Kroos aren't goalscoring midfielders either lmao, so don't see what there how that is relevant. Roy Keane was similar to how I described. Keane was never a goalscoring midfielder either lmao (Only scored 33 goals in 300+ games with United). What United need alongside him, is a Paul Scholes/Ryan Giggs sort of payer, which I have said all along. Someone to make plays; allow Pogba to be creative in his movement. Also, the 'best in a midfield 3' comment is fact --- go watch him at Juve.

more_horiz
I said it to exactly since you said he isn't a goal scoring midfielder. With what I said I just wanted to say I do not agree with this statement. Ryan Giggs isn't even that much of a midfielder >.< Pogba is there to make the link between defence and attack with his wonderful skills and physicality. If we get the Pogba of Juventus, I actually think a midfielder like Fellaini would be the best option. 

more_horiz
Let's see if Pogba will work-out or no, he might need more time to adapt (even that would be stupid cuz he was already in Manchester). Modrić needed 7-8 months to really become the main dude in Real Madrid.

And Iniesta is Iniesta, I think that Modrić is the only one who can be compared to him matching his playstyle and his quality. 

more_horiz
Actualy Pogba never really had that much time to adapt to real Prem football. 

Let's not forget the game has changed and also the price tag does probably give that extra pressure. 

As you said, time will tell. 

more_horiz
Imho, I'd put Pgoba in Rooney's place, and get 2 proper midfielders out there with him (as, you know, Juve did). Rooney needs to be dropped tbh. Good player, United Icon but right now, based on form, he needs to be benched. Again, Pogba's better in a midfield 3, as he is more able to do his game with 2 'proper' midfielders backing him up. I covered the pricetag; the fact it has been a factor, in regards to expectations. As has re-adjusting to the Prem (heck, even KDB needed time to readjust to the prem when he was bought by City). And Giggsy was used as an example when he did play Central.

more_horiz
Well I think Rooney should paly, cuz if he is out, we lose our leader. He is in a bad state of his career and we should back him up for success. I will belive in my favorite player till I die and would never want him to be dropped this way. 

As said Pogba CAN play everywhere. In any midfield. He has showed it for France (not at the Euros tho), where he never played in a midfield 3. All he needs is faith and time to get going. When this happens, he will show his true colors. 

more_horiz
Rooney is a striker, not a midfielder. I don't why has he been switched to midfield position, but he'll lack of form as long as he is not playing at his true position. 

more_horiz
Actually Rooney was never a striker. His natural position is a CAM. I will have to admit, ironically, Rooney is at his best when he is befind and supporting a better player then him. Tho he is the spirit of United. He can play everywhere and will do it for team, giving his all in the process. He is always making assists, popping with some important goals and dictating the play. He does make mistakes, but people take only them from his performances and mark him as a shit player. Let's not forget that many of our players are underperforming atm, so we should judge Mourinho's tactics and not the players (as sad I am to say this.) 

more_horiz
So we are just going to ignore the fact that while he's been striker (in SAF era) he's been one of the most consistent and best United players over and over with +20 goals every season in the league? So yes, Rooney WAS a striker. If you do not believe me, check his position in earlier FIFA games Football thread - Page 7 1554389127 

more_horiz
I think you didn't understand what I meant he can play everywhere. Rooney was always either the supporting striker in a 2 striker formation (Tevez, van Persie, etc.) that was going more into 4-4-1-1 or some variation of that, or a clear CAM, or sometimes even a winger. But he is not a clear striker that can lead the line by himself. He is no Lewandowski, nor Suarez. He is the supporting player. The player that will be the engine of the team up and down. THAT, didn't stop him from scoring 20+ goals every season (which isn't really correct since he has had around 2-3 of those at best), just shows how good he really was. 

more_horiz
Nobody's saying Rooney is shit, we're saying he's PLAYING like shit, and he is. There's no escaping tat fact. Yes, a lot of United have under performed to this stage, but the onus is now on Mou to get the team balance right; imo, that includes making the tough call on Rooney. It might turn out to be the spark he and the team needs, in order to get everything on track. Rooney's a United legend, but even he should not be immune from criticism/being dropped when form calls for it.

more_horiz
I will fight you on Rooney till I die. 

He is not playing shit. Our tactics are not any good. I don't see the big difference in our playing stule expected from Mourinho. I'm sticking by him, but that doesn't mean I think the way is dropping Rooney. Is our glue...

more_horiz
Rooney is only 30 but his form is shit for past 2-3 years. Maybe he should get benched for the time being. 

more_horiz
Gaffa will deside this. Today we play Leicester.

Also is it just me, or has this turned into a "Criticism for Man U" thread? 

Go get a life sucker, we will come back stronger...

UNITED WE STAND. 

more_horiz
Andddddddddddddd ... FINALLY Jose shows some balls and makes the hard call.

Rooney has been dropped.

Lil surprised Schindelin isn't getting more of a go, but eh.

more_horiz
United actually looking brilliant today, has to be said. Sure, lcfc are defending like shite but United doing what needs to be done. Pogba looking good also.

WAYHEY, Pogba scored lol.

4-0 and not even HT

more_horiz
See? No Rooney = results

more_horiz
Yeah lol.

4-1 now. 

Oh, and Zlatan hasn't even needed to score either lmao (Smalling, Mata, Rashford, Pogba with the goals)

more_horiz
Great game...

Good to see Rooney getting some rest  Football thread - Page 7 1151057309

more_horiz
There ya go. Fantastic performance by Liverpool. Yes, it's Hull, but it's us --- if you know us, you'd know these games tend to slip us up lmao. Good to see us put it all together. 5-1.

more_horiz
Enjoy it till it lasts. Soon you are gonna slip Razz But don't worry, next year is yours Football thread - Page 7 3974120512 

Swansea - Manchester City - 3-1
Spurs - Middlesbrough - 2-1

more_horiz
Top 4 is good enough for me from this season tbh.  Just as long as we keep consistency. We got you lot in 2 games (International break in-between now and then); you guys are the only 'big team' that seem to give us issues.  

As for the City game: Swansea matched them for 60 minutes, then City turned up a gear and then simply kicked away.

more_horiz
Today is the day for matches.

42 minute - Arsenal vs Chelsea - 3-0 

more_horiz
I mean, 2 witches hats wold be better than Cahill/Luiz at CB lmao. They need JT back.

more_horiz
Too bad they picked the wrong CB from PSG Razz 

more_horiz
Yeah lol.

more_horiz
Real Madrid 1-1 Las Palmas
Barcelona 5-0 Sporting Gijon

Nice day, we reduced rivals lead to 1 now, and a dominant win without Leo! I love the depth in our squad. 

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply