Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

Football thread

power_settings_newLogin to reply
+3
ScottyAdams
Pepchoninga
Lux
7 posters

descriptionFootball thread - Page 5 EmptyFootball thread

more_horiz
First topic message reminder :

Football thread - Page 5 Uefa-champions-league

Note: this is the thread about the REAL football!

So with another exciting season approaching...let's get into heated conversation!

I'd like to say a few words before that, though. 

Please do not go too hardcore when commenting with trolls and stuff. We'll be trying to hold a nice discussion here!

We'll be covering all sorts of leagues and Champions League, of course. Feel free to discuss anything related to Football.

descriptionFootball thread - Page 5 EmptyRe: Football thread

more_horiz
Honestly, Sevilla just ran all over us in the 2nd half. 1st half, both teams were going right at one another; creating and taking chances, although I feel we were slightly the better team overall. Took an early lead, Sevilla picked it up and made it 2-1, then we made it 3-2 with some neat play. Sevilla equalised just before the half and after the break, were the better team for the majority of it. Gerard's goal was good, but merely consolation at the end of the day. Definitely a game I recommend people watch.

more_horiz
Well overall it really did seems like a great effort from your team,even tho on paper you would probably say (at least to my knowledge) that Sevilla should be winning no problem. With a very nice manager at your help, this might be a good season for Espaniol.

more_horiz
Welp there are a couple of interesting games today as well, so let's cover them lol...

Premier League:

Sunderland vs M'boro - 0-2 - Welp, Moyes will have to wait a bit more to get any points in the league. I did say that for me Middlesbrough will be the underdogs this season, all though Hull City are well competing for this title. With the great sighnings they have made I do think they will come ut victorious as Sunderland will definitely be fighting relegation unfortunately if they don't try to strengthen there side with more then Mn United rejects...

West Ham vs Bournemouth - 2-1 - After a disappointing loss to Chelsea I thinkt hat the hammers will be eager to get a victory against a struggling Bournemouth side in my opinion. Even tho West Ham have made some sighnings it's obvious that they might not be able to compete with the growing competition of the big teams, so it is very important to win fixtures like this one if they wanna keep a relatively good finish in the table.

Now there are also very interesting fixtures in La Liga but I'm just gonna predict the score Razz

Sporting vs Atletic Bilbao - 1-1
Real Sociedad vs Real Madrid - 0-4
Atletico Madrid vs Alavés - 3-1

There is also the interesting game of Milan vs Torino witch i think will finish 1-0 in favor of Milan ^^

more_horiz
Brondby won 7-0 against AGF too in the Superliga.

La Liga results:

gijon 2-1 bilbao
r.Madrid 4-0 Sociedad
Athletico 1-1 Alaves

more_horiz
Also, seen people say 'Zlatan is the best striker in the premier league'. Did Aguero die and I not hear about it or something? Because Aguero > Zlatan

more_horiz
Lol, i git a score right Football thread - Page 5 2966412087

Also, you can't compare Zlatan to Aguero, they are very different style of strikers...at the end of the season we will see who's stile will be at the end of the season...

more_horiz
Oh sh*t, just realised I wrote 4-0 instead of 3-0 for the Madrid game lmfao. Twas only 3-0 lol.

and true haha.

more_horiz
Meh lol...yeah...Bale 2 and Asension 1...mah bad...

Tho i think Ibra-Kadavra is better welp Razz

more_horiz
I honestly prefer Aguero because dude is injured like all the time and still racks up 20+ goals in a league per season. Though they are both arguably in Top 3 strikers in the world (yup better than Lewandowski in my opinion) behind Suarez, of course. We'll see which one grabs the glory this season. 

And seems like Neymar and his gang bringed joy to his nation with so wanted home Olympic Gold medal. 

more_horiz
Yepp, and Neymar won't be back for Barca until after the upcoming international break. Been given an extended period of time off. 

And I have it Suarez, Aguero, Lewa with Zlatan marginally behind them.

more_horiz
Yeah, it would not make sense them to come back for one match and then go back to Brazil Football thread - Page 5 3974120512

Well my power rankings considering the goals they're racking up and their contribution to the team is something like this:

1. Luis Suarez - Not only because he plays for Barcelona but he has scored 88 goals in like 97 or 98 matches and also added 43 assists. His ego is not bigger than team's desire that's why he's a part of infamous "MSN", he's not selfish to pass the ball to the team-mate who is in a better position. 

2. Sergio Aguero - I put Aguero at the second more because I am being subjective than objective, but Ibrahimović or Lewandowski might be better. Manchester City has been shit without Aguero last few seasons and he is prolly the one of the greatest players City ever had. One of very few players I consider in EPL that has the quality to play in Barcelona or Real Madrid. 

3. Zlatan Ibrahimović - Whenever he comes, he scores. 

4. Robert Lewandowski - Only reason why he is not above in this list because unlike other three, he didn't contribute to Bayern much more than strikers before him did. True, he is scoring more than them. But when Mandžukić was playing in front he was teaming excellent with Robbery, providing them more space and security. If Lewandowski manages to win UCL with Bayern anytime soon he might go up on this list.

5. Karim Benzema - Madrid fans do not realize that Benzema is perfect striker for their team. Unlike CR7, Benzema will pass to the player in better position and he understands Bale's and Ronaldo's movement very well. He can score in any way he needs (header, left foot, right foot, bicycle kick, volley etc.). If Madridista's start to appreciate him more he might become even better. 

Honorable mentions;

Paulo Dybala - If he continues to perform like he did so far for Juventus it will not be a surprise if we see him in Top 5 soon.

Harry Kane - Two seasons with +20 goals in EPL did put some reputation at his name. 

Antoine Griezmann - I actually want to put him tie with Benzema at the fifth place. His accomplishments (both invidiually and team's) in last two seasons speak for themself. 

Diego Costa - If he fix his fucked up charisma (I know he won't, but that even makes him better, if he doesn't get red) then he would be very dangerous. 

more_horiz
Welp, my list is basically the same, just apart from the placings.

1. Luis Suarez - Undoubtedly the best striker in the world, and definitely in the top 3 best players in the world atm. Just looking at his 17 goals in last 6 games, tell you more about this guy then i can with words. Off course many of his goals are simple tap ins, or easy finishes created by Messi, Iniesta and the rest of the gang, but he has also showed that he can finish unbelievable things. He understands the flow of the game perfectly, know where is where, knows when a teammate is making the better run, and even so, he can finish all sorts of things. Free-kicks, outside of the box, inside the box, penaltys, header...Overall the complete striker.

2. Robert Lewandowski - I could've been biased and put Ibra at 2-nd but for the sake of what i really think I can't. People overlook Lewandowski and his contribution and control of the game...he is an out-and-out striker that waits on the edge of the box and gives the finish touches of an attack, either by finishing it with an extraordinary ease, or offloading it for a smart assist. He also drops deaper to help some of the counter attacks and take the ball, then pass it to the fast wingers and immediately goes and waits for a cross. I usually watch a lot of Bayern games when i can, just from interest, and I have no doubt that this guy is a World-Class striker. 

3. Zlatan Ibrahimovic - Really the word that can explain this guy is athlete. He is more then just a footballer. He is 34, soon to turn 35 and still score goals...and let me just tell you, he scores good goals. For me, he is one of the finest finishers football has ever seen. 50 goals in League 1 last season is an extraordinary number. And while I don't see him hitting it in the Premier League, this guy definitely can still teach those great 28 year old players "At there prime" what age really means ti a true athlete.

Arsenal. Giroud - Best player Lmao Razz

4. Sergio Aguero - Now I don't like the guy, mostly because of that he playes for Shitty. But no denying his class. It's true, he is somewhat of an injury prone, witch for me is what keeps him from reaching that Barcelona/Real Madrid level tbh. He does score whenever he is fit. He is quick, deadly and makes silent and unexpected runs that tricks the opponents. Usually City's tactics were getting the ball to him, and then he scores...so when he wasn't there, it was a problem. This season tho, I don't think he will get that much goals, since Guardiola and his ticki-tacka football won't allow it. Still if he stays fit, he is in no doubt to 10-20 best footballers atm.

5. Antoine Griezmman - For me he is just as better as Benzema (Who i would tie with Higuain at 6 place) if not better. He is young, has incredibly potential, that is escalating quicky. Arguably the best player not only for France at the Euros, but at the Euros itself. A goal machine for a very defensive minded Atletico Madrid side and a tricky creative player that can score a number of ways. In 3-4 years time this guy will not only be seen higher on my list, but on the lists of the best players in the world.

6. Karim Benzema - A underrated player in my opinion, and very much so a great one. Only reason why he isn't in the top 4/3 in many people's eyes is because he has a Ronaldo playing alongside him. Really he does overshadow other players and doesn't let them shine, witch is really one of the things that Messi has over him. But that is a diffrent conversation. Benzema is a masterful finisher, that can score the most wonderfull of goals. He is my eyes is also more of a CF style player, sitting a little deaper and contributing the ball in the final third before taking his place in the box. This is a very helpful ability in a team where Ronaldo plays. In many sences he plays like Rooney did back when Ronaldo was at Manchester United. But as much as he is a tech support, he is also a goal machine, given the chance.

6.5 Gonzalo Higuain - Yeah he might be a little chubby atm, but in reality he is one of the most polific strikers in the world. Setting records in the Seria A with incredible number if goals. He is the type of poacher that you want in your team. He scores whatever you want, however you want it. Only thing is, he is not that great at assisting goals in my opinion. While he is a tiger infrint if goal, he doesnt really know how to offload the ball to another player who is in a better position then him. Also there is the fact that he does fade in the big games witch is something he will need to work on, if he is to ever truly announce himself as one of the world greats. 

more_horiz
Lewandowski is fourth on my list because as I have said I also consider contribution to the team and you can't deny that Mandžukić's contribution to Bayern was HUGE when he was playing. He was a defensive beast, leaving much space to Robben and Ribery because he dragged two players to himself. Lewandowski kinda waits for the ball and then scores a goal in any possible way he can :D 

Of course, the philosopy of Bayern then and under Pep is different. But Jupp's Bayern was much more dominant too. 

more_horiz
Lewandowski is a box maestro...and he does drop in to help with the defense...

more_horiz
Rostov laying Ajax to waste in the 2nd leg. Mounchengladbach doing the same to BSC Young Boys lol. Zagreb v RB Salzburg looking as if it'll need extra time to decide it (2-2 on agg, both teams with 1 away goal). City are also academically through. Kobenhaven are tied at 1-1 with APOEL, but won the 1st leg, so the advantage is theirs.

more_horiz
Welp Bulgarian team Ludogoretz are in the CL, yeiiiii...hopefully i get some big teams to watch Football thread - Page 5 3974120512 

more_horiz
@Lux, Zagreb are also through to the group stage of the CL. 2-1 AET on the night v Salzburg, 3-2 on agg.

more_horiz
Who cares, Ludogoretz for the win Football thread - Page 5 3974120512

more_horiz
Group A

PSG
Arsenal
Basel
Ludogrets

Group B

Benfica
Napoli
Dynamo Kyiv
Bestikas

Group C

Barca
Man City
Munchengladbach
Celtic

Group D

Bayern
Athletico
PSV
Rostov

Group E

CSKA Moscow
Leverkusen
Spurs
Monaco

Group F

Real Madrid
Dortmund
Sporting CP
Legia Warsaw

Group G

Leicester
Porto
Club Brugge
Kobenhavn

Group H

Juve
Sevilla
Lyon
Zagreb

^ Group stage draw for the CL.

more_horiz
Welp interesting groups, let's give thoughts and predictions Razz 

Group A:
Now I will be having some pretty good teams to go watch, even tho i was hoping to get Real Madrid or Barca tbh...PSG Are probably gonna be good, tho with the record of Unai Emre in the champions league, you might just see them pop in Europa League welp Football thread - Page 5 3974120512. While admittedly PSG are a better side the Sevilla in my opinion, I think that PSG might end up giving the leaders place to Arsenal. Yes, Arsenal are still a pretty strong team, even without any good signings, and usually tend to do good in the group stages of CL. Basel are an ok side tho one that could definetely see fighting with my team Ludogorets for the Europa League spot. The're star player is Embolo, who is still a teenager, so i think that they will surely struggle against PSG and 4-nal for points. My team wanted a hard group, they got a hard group...I would love them slipping into the Europa League spot, mostly because then that means there would be a possibility they could play United witch means they will come to Bulgaria <3 All and all here are my predictions. 

1. Arsenal
2. PSG
3. Ludogorets
4. Basel

Group B:
Arguably one of the easiest groups. Benfica definitely has a spot in the knock-out rounds, seeing that Dynamo and Besiktas are mediocre teams at best.Napoli haven't really strengthened after the selling of Higuain (Milik is not a proper replacement tbh), so they will need to focus either on Seria or CL if they want to fight for top of the group.

1. Benfica
2. Napoli
3. Dunamo Kyiv
4. Besiktas

Group C: 
Best group in my opinion. Barca will be met with a new Man City that will play a football very well known to many of the old Barca crew, and it will definitely be a big battle for the top spot. If Man City decide to risk it, they will most likely have to lower there push in the league to beat Barca to first place and I'm not sure Guardiola in his first season will be wanting that. Bor. M (To lazy lel) are a good team that will probably be able to take some points from Barca and City if they have the mentality and will definetely be able to run over Celtic, who unfortunetely will most likely have to settle for last place.

1. Barcelona
2. Manchester City
3. Bor. M Razz
4. Celtic

Group D:
Another AMAZING Group. You have 2 of the 6 best teams in Europe fighting for the 1-st place and for me it will be only a matter on who wants it more. Atletico started the season shakily with a draw to newly promoted side, while Bayern comfortably beat Bor. Dortmund to the German Super Cup. PSV are obviously gonna be underdogs of the group and will most likely have to settle for an Europa League spot this year, witch, given there opponents. will be something they will be satisfied by. 

1. Bayern
2. Atletico Madrid
3. PSV
4. Rostov

Group E: 
A decent and pretty interesting group in my opinion. CSKA will definitely be looking to try and slide into the knock-out stages and with opponents that are around there level, i think this could be the're year.t this will mean they will most likely have to sacrify a good league finish. Spurs for me will try to do good in the CL as the competition in the Prem this season might be too much for them to be able to get into the group stages again. Monaco are a great team with good player, and i think it will be enough to secure them a Europa League spot.

1. Spurs
2. CSKA Moskow
3. Monaco
4. Bayern Leverkusen

Group F:
Another group that will have interesting matches. This year i see Dortmund easily getting into that second spot and going into the knock-out stages. Real will be topping the group without extensive problem. Sporting while a team with very talanted players, will probably not be able to take any points of off both Dortmund and Real. Legia will have to pass on any European competition unfortunetely.

1. Real Madrid
2. Bor. Dortmund
3. Sporting CP
4. Legia Warsaw

Group G:
Leicester were definitely smiled upon in the draw. While i see Porto wooping their asses, I think Renieri's men could get enough points of the other 2 clubs, to qualify. Brugge will not really pack a punch against both the Prem Champions and Porto in my opinion and will probably have settle for an Europa League. 

1. Porto
2. Leicester
3. Club Brugge
4. Kobenhavn

Group H:
For me the most tight group probably. Juve will have some very tough matches on there road to 1st position, tho the dept of there squad probably will allow for a full on assult on both league and CL group. Sevilla look shaky atm, after seeing how easily they got dispatched by Barcelona, they will need to find their priorities if they want to yet again not fall in the Europa League. Lyon are a underated side with some class players, led by an absolute goal machine in the face of Lacazette, and even tho the departure of Umtiti probably hurt them, i think they will be able to slip into second place, against the odds. 

1. Juventus
2. Lyon
3. Sevilla
4. Zagreb

more_horiz
Group G is very much open. Raneri will have to get LCFC to perform against both Brugge and Kobenhavn if they are to progress, as both can provide a spanner in that group. It's the best draw they could have hoped for, but by no means a walk in the park for them. Group C is very much juicy tbh.

more_horiz
A walk in the park? No. But a realitvly easy work for them? Yes, if they get the same Leicester from last year.

more_horiz
if we get the same LCFC as last year, sure. It's easier than other potential draws, but still a group where anything can happen.

more_horiz
I di agree, we will have to wait...

more_horiz
LOL, West Ham. Lost 0-1 at home to Astra (Romanian champions, who are honestly playing poor this season), so no Europa league group stage for them (1-2 on agg). Oh, and this is the 2nd consecutive season Astra have eliminated West Ham from Europe.

more_horiz
Wow wut? West Ham not doing good atm welp Football thread - Page 5 3974120512 

more_horiz
Premier league football today welp Razz forgot a preview, cuz laziness...Leicester won a game lel, 4-nal drew with Spurs and more in the review later...

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED.

Bayern beat some team 6-0 yesterday, with Lewandowski getting a hat-trick (Suarez would be proud) and Muller getting a hat-trick of assists, also what a screamer from Alonso 0_0 

Some older news: Ronaldo won the best player in europe for the 2015/2016 season.

Also Europa League group stages got out, gonna cover them soon as well (cuz i love posting in here...) 

more_horiz
Haven't been posting much lately in this topic because of Mafia.

Yeah, very glad Dinamo has made it to the CL. We got a pretty nice group too, we can be competitive, especially after solid last year's perfomance in CL. 

And I'll just ROFL at Ronaldo's award. Not TOTALLY un-deserved, but quite a lot.

more_horiz
Yeah, when is mafia back ffs...

You do have some winable games, and for me can get into Europa league...

Ronaldo p's award is not completely deserved, but is understandable...tho for me Greezman was the better player in Europe as a whole...

more_horiz
Among the top three, Griezmann deserved this award the most. He's been great. Ronaldo was shit tbh. When he didn't score a goal he would be among the worst players on the pitch. Scored his goals in CL against Malmo, Wolfsburg (that match of him was good though) and Roma. He was possibly the worst player in the final (Griezmann totally over-shadowed him).

At EURO's he had 20 shots after first two games & 0 goals. Had a good match against Hungary. Did nothing against Croatia. Did nothing against Poland. Stole the show in final from other players (including the scoring hero Eder) and coach by his idiotic acting by the sidelines during the Extra Time. Griezmann was also the Top Scorer and the best player of the tournament imo. I can name 3 better Portugal players than him at the EURO's.

And for idiotic Ballon D'Or, I don't really understand how people expect him to win that one. Messi & Suarez shitted over CR7 in 2016. Both by perfomances and statistic.

I was little bit furious when writing this post but this is how I feel. The Ronaldo we had in 2016 is not the good Ronaldo from the past. 

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply