Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

[RULES] New Field & LINK Summon

power_settings_newLogin to reply
+21
Trickster
DDS
JC the shadow hunter
Alisae
Linda-Senpai
Centrik
KawaiiMiku
ScottyAdams
jjh927
Bladecharge
CrimsonOverlord
Lux
MetaphysHunter
DanelerH
Dice Jar
Staxx
Booked
TricMagic
Galaksii
SilentKatana
Jv
25 posters

description[RULES] New Field & LINK Summon - Page 2 Empty[RULES] New Field & LINK Summon

more_horiz
First topic message reminder :

Basically a New Field + LINK Summon

[RULES] New Field & LINK Summon - Page 2 VJMP-New-Mat-400x300

The Newly Created Extra Monster Zone

You can only use one of them!

When the Duel begins, neither Extra Monster Zone is considered to belong to a specific player. When a player Special Summons a monster to one of them, that Zone then becomes treated as part of that player’s field, and the other then becomes treated as the other player’s field. The tactics of a Duel will change drastically depending on who can grab an Extra Monster Zone first! An Extra Deck Monster can only be Summoned to the Extra Monster Zone! But if you Summon a Link Monster to one of the Extra Monster Zone first, you can utilize it to its max potential!

*Extra Deck Monsters, like Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, and Link, cannot be Summnoned to the Main Monster Zone, beware!

The Monster Zone of old is now called the Main Monster Zone!

Pendulum Zones now take up the Left Most and Right Most Zones of your Spell & Trap Zones instead! And when they do, those Zones become Pendulum Zones!

[RULES] New Field & LINK Summon - Page 2 VJMP-New-Mat-Extra-Deck-Info-400x300

The Zones Pointed at by Link Markers Can be Used to Bring Out Extra Deck Monsters

Although Extra Deck Monsters can only be Summoned to the Extra Monster Zone Normally, if you have a Link Monster in the Extra Monster Zone, the Zones pointed at by their Link Markers can be used to Summon Extra Deck Monsters! So if you get out a Link Summon quickly, you can bring out Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz Monsters in succession. Of course, you can Summon another Link Monster in one of these Zones, so if you play your cards right, you can fill your entire Main Monster Zone with Extra Deck Monsters! The new metagame will require careful consideration of where to place monsters!

[RULES] New Field & LINK Summon - Page 2 VJMP-New-Rules-QA-225x400

Super Quick Q&A for the New Rules!

Q: If Special Summoned an Extra Deck Monster normally, and it goes to the Graveyard, and I want to Special Summon it with “Monster Reborn”, which Zone does it go to?

A: It goes into the Main Monster Zone, not the Extra Monster Zone.

Q: Can you use “Book of Moon” on Link Monsters?

A: Link Monsters cannot be face-down, so you cannot target them with “Book of Moon”.

Q: If your opponent’s only monster is in their Extra Monster Zone, can you attack them directly?

A: If there’s a monster in the Extra Monster Zone, unless some kind of effect is in play, you would have to attack that monster first.

Q: Can you destroy 2 Set Spell & Trap Cards in your Left Most and Right Most Spell & Trap Zones with “Wavering Eyes”?

A: The Left Most and Right Most Spell & Trap Zones are regular Spell & Trap Zones, and do not become Pendulum Zones unless you activate a Pendulum Card in them, or if a Pendulum Card is placed in them by a card effect. A Set Spell & Trap Card in either of those Zones cannot be destroyed by “Wavering Eyes”.

LINK SUMMON

[RULES] New Field & LINK Summon - Page 2 ST17-Decode-Talker-244x400
Decode Talker
Dark Cybers-Type Link / Effect Monster
LINK 3 2300
2 or more effect monsters
(1) This card gains 500 ATK for each monster Linked to it.
(2) When an opponent’s card effect that targets a card you control is activated: You can Tribute 1 of your monsters Linked to this card; negate that activation, and if you do, destroy it.

Look at those distinctive Link Markers! Use these Markers to develop brand new strategies!
It goes into your Extra Deck!

There are 2 ways of Link Summoning!!
>Send Materials to the Grave Equal to the Link Number!
You can Link Summon something from your Extra Deck by sending the same number of monsters that meet the material requirements written in the card’s effect box, whose total numbers equal to the LINK number, from the field to the Graveyard
>Decrease Materials by Using Link Monsters
Link Monsters are treated as the same number of materials as its LINK Number, however to use them you must match the requirements written on the card!

IN THE CASE OF “DECODE TALKER”
You can either
-Use 3 Effect Monsters
or
-Use a [Link 2] Effect monster and 1 Effect Monster

Pay Attention to the Direction of the Link Markers!
The Zones pointed to by each Link Marker and the cards in them will be affected by the Link Monster, and this will create new strategies!

They have no defense…!!!
Link monsters have no defense points and they have the special characteristics of being unable to change their battle positions or turning to defense position by effects.

Translated by The Organization

Source from でこど

description[RULES] New Field & LINK Summon - Page 2 EmptyRe: [RULES] New Field & LINK Summon

more_horiz
CrimsonOverlord wrote:
I noticed something with the arrow above the link mon. Can you invade your opponents field? Like its still ur mon, but on their field, taking up their space

If you'll notice in the image above, Decode Talker is in EM2, with an arrow pointing to the opponent's MM2.  In that zone is an opponent's monster (indicated by the position of the card), so that's presumably a "no".  I would also assume that becomes a zone that the opponent can summon a monster from the Extra Deck to.

description[RULES] New Field & LINK Summon - Page 2 EmptyRe: [RULES] New Field & LINK Summon

more_horiz
Agent of creation - Venus makes link summoning easy, fodder wise at least. Gives you 3 mons you can tribute for the summon.

more_horiz
First reaction is that Link summon is bad for the game, but once you realise what it doing for the game it isnt that bad. It's at first glance ruining old decks like Madolches, but it's learn to adapt with the new link monsters slowing everything down. I hope they never produce a game breaking Link monster that's a must have to play the game and they shortprint it. Knowing Komoney they will. 

Also Scotty you need to offer effect monsters to summon Link monsters.

more_horiz
KawaiiMiku wrote:

No, just Decode Talker has that requirement.  After using Venus' effect three times, you can send a Mystical Shine Ball to summon Link Spider (Link 1; one normal requirement; down arrow).  You can then send the other two Mystical Shine Ball and Venus for Gaiasaber, the Video Knight (Link 3; any monsters; down arrow, left arrow, right arrow).  This results in having two Linked Zones to the left and right of Gaiasaber.

more_horiz
Yeah but then you also have a Venus in your leftmost or rightmost slot and only two other slots to summon another extra deck monster with. With your normal summon used up, it's going to be hard to combo from there.

more_horiz
Venus is used in the summon of Gaiasaber, so the resulting field is Link Spider in EM1 and Gaiasaber in MM2 or Link Spider in EM2 and Gaiasaber in MM4.  Though you are correct that it would be difficult to combo, so you would probably have to rely on Seraphinite (or another double summon card) for an additional normal summon.

more_horiz
KawaiiMiku wrote:
First reaction is that Link summon is bad for the game, but once you realise what it doing for the game it isnt that bad. It's at first glance ruining old decks like Madolches, but it's learn to adapt with the new link monsters slowing everything down. I hope they never produce a game breaking Link monster that's a must have to play the game and they shortprint it. Knowing Komoney they will. 

There are some that state just 'monsters', so Shine balls can be used for those (As Dan touched on). Yea, my Dolche deck is hit hard by this, but as you said: it's about adaptation and evolution for the deck and figuring out just how to incorporate Link summoning into the deck's combos. And yes, Konami will create a game breaking link mon someday, we just know that much.

more_horiz
Every new mechanic ruins old stuff, i dont see the problem. Do you guys still play summoned skull beatdown? All decks are "fucked" now and need to adapt to the link strategy, which i like and dare i say is the best thing that happened to ygo as a game, cuz you now need to consider a lot of things and not just summon 5, set 5 turn 1 and gg like a robot.
Synchro made fusion obsolete,xyz made synchro subpar and so on. This mechanic actually improves the gamestate rather than just go faster and faster.
Again im super excited for this type of gameplay, so i cant wait for april

more_horiz
There is a little bit of a difference though in regards to XYZ/Pends/Synchros and this new mechanic. That being: those 'older decks' could easily incorporate XYZs and Pends into their strategy from Day 1 without having to change too much about themselves. Synchros too. They just had inherent flaws that meant that they either couldn't get the resources out to make them, or elected not to use them (which I disagree with), whereas for some decks, it's gonna require a serious playstyle change with Link summoning. My first impression was similar to Miku's (even more so, when you factor in that I play Madolches myself), but the more I think about it --- the more it opens up room for innovation in regards to deck building. I do hope Konami expand the extra deck tho, Space there is tight enough as it is. Also, Set 5 is still very much possible so it doesn't change that at all

more_horiz
ScottyAdams wrote:
There is a little bit of a difference though in regards to XYZ/Pends/Synchros and this new mechanic. That being: those 'older decks' could easily incorporate XYZs and Pends into their strategy from Day 1 without having to change too much about themselves. Synchros too. They just had inherent flaws that meant that they either couldn't get the resources out to make them, or elected not to use them (which I disagree with), whereas for some decks, it's gonna require a serious playstyle change with Link summoning. My first impression was similar to Miku's (even more so, when you factor in that I play Madolches myself), but the more I think about it --- the more it opens up room for innovation in regards to deck building. I do hope Konami expand the extra deck tho, Space there is tight enough as it is. Also, Set 5 is still very much possible so it doesn't change that at all

Its really the same thing. Instead of using 3 resources for a synchro summon, now you can link summon. Any deck can link summon with no special adjustement. You just need to use as many mons as the link specifies.
It also will slow the game down and make you think a little which i love. The only people crying about this are people who are used to "play 2 cards, go plus 6 and make a gg board". You can still combo heavy with links if thats still what you crave, using multiple links as the rules say.

But tl;dr i assure you people are always like this about ygo.
2FAST I QUIT, 2SLOW I QUIT, UUUGH ITS SO NEW FOR ME I QUIT, WTF KONAMI IS TRYING TO MAKE MONEY AGAIN I QUIT! 
IMMA GO PLAY BAKUGAN ;------;...... comes back after a week of calming down.....HEY GUYS LOVE YGO!
Ironically the new ygo anime is all about trying new stuff without being afraid of change just cuz its new. See you all in april

more_horiz
CrimsonOverlord wrote:
ScottyAdams wrote:

Its really the same thing. Instead of using 3 resources for a synchro summon, now you can link summon. Any deck can link summon with no special adjustement. You just need to use as many mons as the link specifies.
It also will slow the game down and make you think a little which i love. The only people crying about this are people who are used to "play 2 cards, go plus 6 and make a gg board". You can still combo heavy with links if thats still what you crave, using multiple links as the rules say.

But tl;dr i assure you people are always like this about ygo.
2FAST I QUIT, 2SLOW I QUIT, UUUGH ITS SO NEW FOR ME I QUIT, WTF KONAMI IS TRYING TO MAKE MONEY AGAIN I QUIT! 
IMMA GO PLAY BAKUGAN ;------;...... comes back after a week of calming down.....HEY GUYS LOVE YGO!
Ironically the new ygo anime is all about trying new stuff without being afraid of change just cuz its new. See you all in april

You will need to adjust your playstyle/deck, so that you can still make plays after the link summon and using your resources on that. You act like the game has no thought put into it --- which is an incorrect assumption. There is definitely a level of thought you have to put into playing the game to its optimum even in this fast placed gamestate. Does Link summoning open up no combos? Absolutely, as did all new mechanics. Of course, it's not to the level of a game like chess but it's not expected to be either (completely different ballpark there). Now, if Link mons had levels, it'd imo, would be better as you could extend plays and add on further combos. Another thing is this: XYZs/Synchros/Pends (or decks oriented around them) weren't necessarily prevalent in the metagame day 1, Link summoning (and even link oriented decks) will be. Of course, people complain about a lot of things, nothing we don't already know --- it's called reacting based off emotions, rather than rational processing.

more_horiz
I stopped playing. I now will just watch anime to see how characters handle these shits. I expect a 6 years old kid having mastered all the rulings.

more_horiz
The current game atm @scottyadams much became a muscle memory kinda game, going through the combos to make an optimal board. Ofc im not saying the game is braindead, im just saying links just add another layer of depth and complexity to it. Also every new mechanic brings adjustement so that you can keep up.
My only concern now is presumably decks like kozmos,monarchs might be stronger? We shall see how links outgrow that though.
Anyway people are way too impulsive over something without trying it, but hey thats the ygo community all these years.
Next year the new summ method will make people say they quit again, but as we all know it, no one does

more_horiz
CrimsonOverlord wrote:
The current game atm @scottyadams much became a muscle memory kinda game, going through the combos to make an optimal board. Ofc im not saying the game is braindead, im just saying links just add another layer of depth and complexity to it. Also every new mechanic brings adjustement so that you can keep up.
My only concern now is presumably decks like kozmos,monarchs might be stronger? We shall see how links outgrow that though.
Anyway people are way too impulsive over something without trying it, but hey thats the ygo community all these years.
Next year the new summ method will make people say they quit again, but as we all know it, no one does

Whilst yes, that is true --- There is still a 'read and react' process to the game. You have to consider the situation (yes, even going 1st. Does your opponent have Maxx 'C'? Or any hand trap that might cause you to take a different route?). You also have to be wary of misplaying and be ready to adapt as the duel wears on (more relevant going 2nd). Yes, it adds a new layer of depth and complexity to it, but wasn't this game advertised as a 'children's card game' at the beginning? I'm well aware it has evolved upon that, but sometimes, keeping it simple is actually the most effective way to go about it. No need to make it overly complex if you don't have to. And I know the same thing happens with all mechanics, that much should have been obvious. 

Kozmos, Monarchs, Infernoids get stronger, as do Yosenju. Those decks are very much beatable with siding and planning for them. As for quitting: Just because people keep an eye on the game, doesn't mean they are actively playing. I'm sure some do legitimately quit --- there are a myriad of reasons to do so. Their choice; if the new mechanic is what pushes them out, then so be it.

more_horiz
I still dont understand.

more_horiz
Linda-Senpai wrote:
I still dont understand.

What do you not understand about it?

more_horiz
So with tis new machanic do you think they're going to ease up on the banlist? Are we doing to see the return of cards like Mind Master? maybe rescue rabbit at 2? Dare i say... the triumphant return of Rescue Kitty? :O

more_horiz
DanelerH wrote:
Linda-Senpai wrote:
I still dont understand.

Everything,

Also why are you guys bitching and moaning about it being dumb? Even though I'm not understanding it, I can tell this is the greatest decision Konami ever made. It's their attempt to revamp the game in order to balance it, rather than flat out break it like they did last generation. This is exactly what Yugioh needed. I was hoping they would implement a card rotation system but this works too. They realized that the games greatest problem was that every deck and its mother could plow through the extra deck a million times a turn, and now they're attempting to fix that. Wtf do you guys have a problem with that for?

more_horiz
This game used to be like blackjack.
Now it's blackjack with so many gimmicks to the point where it's not even blackjack anymore but a completely new game.

more_horiz
Linda-Senpai wrote:
DanelerH wrote:
Linda-Senpai wrote:
I still dont understand.

Everything

Did you read my list of examples with diagrams on the first page of the thread?  If not, that might help.

more_horiz
Linda-Senpai wrote:
I still dont understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r1IDaOmeLM

more_horiz
Linda-Senpai wrote:
DanelerH wrote:
Linda-Senpai wrote:
I still dont understand.

Everything,

Also why are you guys bitching and moaning about it being dumb? Even though I'm not understanding it, I can tell this is the greatest decision Konami ever made. It's their attempt to revamp the game in order to balance it, rather than flat out break it like they did last generation. This is exactly what Yugioh needed. I was hoping they would implement a card rotation system but this works too. They realized that the games greatest problem was that every deck and its mother could plow through the extra deck a million times a turn, and now they're attempting to fix that. Wtf do you guys have a problem with that for?

It doesn't fix anything though. All it does is widen the gap between decks that can spam Link monsters whilst having resources aplenty to spam extra deck monsters in the same turn, whilst both forcing every deck to buy Link monsters in order to be able to play the game. It makes the gamestate more linear than it was before in that there are now certain staples certain decks need to run in order to actually function. I get the idea that limiting extra deck spam being limited fundamentally is a good thing, but this isn't a good implementation of that at all. It's fundamentally poor game design in all honesty.

more_horiz
SilentKatana wrote:
Linda-Senpai wrote:
DanelerH wrote:
Linda-Senpai wrote:
I still dont understand.

Everything,

It doesn't fix anything though. All it does is widen the gap between decks that can spam Link monsters whilst having resources aplenty to spam extra deck monsters in the same turn, whilst both forcing every deck to buy Link monsters in order to be able to play the game. It makes the gamestate more linear than it was before in that there are now certain staples certain decks need to run in order to actually function. I get the idea that limiting extra deck spam being limited fundamentally is a good thing, but this isn't a good implementation of that at all. It's fundamentally poor game design in all honesty.

That depends entirely on how easy it will be to spam link monsters, does it not?

more_horiz
Which in  turn, relies on your deck and the resources it has. We know how Link monsters are summoned (tho we just need clarity on whether tokens and pendulum monsters can be used for them), and the 'ease' of summoning them and continuing their plays depends on the deck. And then you have decks like Blue-Eyes/Mermails/Kozmos that really don't care about the new mechanic change (Blue Eyes might care a lil more than the other 2, tbh).

more_horiz
What would be good to know is if you can use face-down monsters to summon links.

more_horiz
JC the shadow hunter wrote:
Linda-Senpai wrote:
I still dont understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r1IDaOmeLM

So you send the materials from field to grave as if performing a Synchro summon? But don't the materials stay attached? Idgi. And to summon a link 3 monster, can the monsters used as material be any monsters, so long as it's 3 of them? And since you can only summon extra deck monsters where the thingies on the link monster point, does that mean that you can only have 3 extra deck monsters out at a time now? And since the zone thingy doesnt belong to either player at the start, does that mean that the opponent cant play a link monster until they destroy the opponents link monster?

more_horiz
Linda-Senpai wrote:
SilentKatana wrote:
Linda-Senpai wrote:
DanelerH wrote:
Linda-Senpai wrote:
I still dont understand.

Everything,

That depends entirely on how easy it will be to spam link monsters, does it not?

Gofu alone already nets you a link monster all by itself, and this is merely the first wave of Link monsters.

SS Gofu+Tokens, Link Summon a Link Spider with one Token, then Link Summon another Link Spider into the Linked Zone using the other Token. Then just use both Link Spiders to summon Missus Radiant. That leaves you with 2 Linked zones to summon extra deck monsters into, and a Gofu on board. Terrortop does a similar thing in which you can go for Invoker and a Beast Warrior, then make Missus Radiant. 

They really aren't hard to make, and again, they're only going to become better with time.

more_horiz
to answer @Linda-Sempai...

• 5 monster Zones
  • 3 spaces for the spell/trap Zones
  • On both sides of those, 2 Zones known as a Pendulum Zone when a Pendulum(Spell State) is within it
    (Can set and play spell/traps here, but cannot activate Pendulum monsters without an empty spot on at least one side.
  • Pendulum Monsters while there is a card within them)
  • 1 Field Zone

Between the Battlefield(Middle Zones)
The new mechanic...
2 Zones exist between the duelists. These are the Links that allow one to summon monsters from the Extra Deck. The first player to special summon from the Extra Deck can choose which one they will use throughout the remainder of the Duel.(Single)

Fusion, Synchro, XYZ, Pendulum, Link.
Linked Materials for the Special Summon of a Link Monster.

1. Link-1: One Monster fitting the type of card required
  2. Link-2: Two Monsters fitting the type of card required
  3. Link-3: One Link-2 fitting the type of monster required and 1 other fitting the type of monster required; Or, Three Monsters of the type of card required
  4. Link-4 on up: And so on, we Add

Link monsters have a level of zero and are color-coded Prism Blue. Whether this means they can Synch a level of the Tuner's level remains to be seen. They have Nine Arrows surrounding the inner border. The Number Lit determines their Link-#. The Zones these lit arrows point to Creates a Linked Zone. Once more Rulings are needed on this but for now...
The Monster Zones that become Linked Zones allow you to summon Monsters from your Extra Deck to them.
Note that this Applies Only and to All Monsters Being Summoned from the Extra Deck.

You can Pendulum Summon Monsters from the Hand; But...
Monsters summoned from the hand this way cannot enter the Middle Zones. However you can summon as many as the Main Monster Zones can fit. Extra deck Pendulum Monsters however, can be summoned to the Middle Zone(1/2) along with the rest from your hand. If that Zone is otherwise occupied, Summon to the Linked Zones instead. If there are none, you cannot summon Pendulum Monsters from your Extra Deck.

XYZ, Exceed Summon!

XYZ Monsters, These are summoned by Overlaying the XYZ monster on top of the Materials for it's summoning. as Such...
If a level 4 monster is within your Middle Zone, and a Level 4 Monster is on your side of the field, you can-

a.  Place the monster from the Main Zone in the Middle Zone(1/2) to overlay it, and Exceed Summon Example: Number 39 - Utopia, in
         the Middle Zone.

Notice something? Since there is either an level 4 Synchro and/or Pendulum in your Middle Zone, no other Linked Zones exist. This can be solved by simply having a Link Monster next to the other Level 4, with an arrow pointing to that Zone.

b.  If a Level 4 Monster exists with a Linked Zone, Move the other material to the Linked Zone to Overlay, and Exceed Summon
         Example: Number 39 - Utopia in the Linked Zone.

Accelerate, Synchro Summon!
Synchro Summons... Until we learn if Tuners can Link to Synchro Summon this will have to remain unanswered. Nevertheless,

1. If a Linked Zone exists, you can Summon Synchro Monsters as long as it would be empty due to the material within being used, or simply being open.
  2. You can Summon the Synchro Monster within the Middle Zone(1/2), if open.

Summon The Supreme King, Pendulumgraph Fusion!
Fusion Summons; If you haven't noticed yet, this next one will hurt.
If their exists a Linked Zone, you may use Fusion Summon. The summoned monster is placed in one of these spaces... Alternatively, you may place it within the Middle Zone(1/2), if open. In other words, as stated for Synchro Monsters, you can Summon Fusion Monsters as long as it would be empty due to the material within being used, or simply being open.

Revival of the Lost.
Monsters Special Summoned from the Grave are placed within the Main Monster Zones. Same goes for any Banished monsters. Will this hold true for Link Monsters as well? Most likely, since the Ruling only applies to the Extra Deck. Monsters summoned from the Main Deck go in the Main Monster Zones, as should be obvious by now. The Rule only applies to monsters in the Extra Deck.

more_horiz
SilentKatana wrote:
Linda-Senpai wrote:
SilentKatana wrote:
Linda-Senpai wrote:
DanelerH wrote:
Linda-Senpai wrote:
I still dont understand.

Everything,

Gofu alone already nets you a link monster all by itself, and this is merely the first wave of Link monsters.

SS Gofu+Tokens, Link Summon a Link Spider with one Token, then Link Summon another Link Spider into the Linked Zone using the other Token. Then just use both Link Spiders to summon Missus Radiant. That leaves you with 2 Linked zones to summon extra deck monsters into, and a Gofu on board. Terrortop does a similar thing in which you can go for Invoker and a Beast Warrior, then make Missus Radiant. 

They really aren't hard to make, and again, they're only going to become better with time.

I suppose those people hoping for this mechanic to usher in a slower format might be a bit disappointed.

Still this seems interesting, adds more complexity (or at least more steps with in a given play line) to getting out multiple extra deck monsters. Maybe while the mechanic is in it's infancy decks that are less reliant on the extra to attain their win condition might be a bit more viable. 

Can't really make a concrete judgement without playing under this new game-state. We'll have to see how things turn out in the near future.  

Or in other words; "take a step forward, and try!"

more_horiz
I like it, things are getting stale and this is a more active change to the game than pendulums were, yet Link monsters aren't as "auto include in every deck" as synchros and xyz were.

There will be workarounds and decks that are still fast, but his will nerf the "top speed" for a while. It may result in set-five-pass decks being more relevant than before, but what can you do?

ALL I NEED IS ONE BREAK SWORD TO HIT YOU WITH DARK REQUIEM SO FUCK A LINK MONSTER.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply