Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

descriptionWhat did this guy just say about that summon!? EmptyWhat did this guy just say about that summon!?

more_horiz
What is this guy saying about that summon!?

Breakdown:
===Topic 1: Explaining of Summons===
===Topic 2: Breakdown of Inherent and Special Summons by Effects===
===Topic 3: Breakdown of Other types of summons===
===Topic 4: Appendices===
===Topic 5: Works Cited===

-==Topic 1==-

In the following Article I will be explaining to you the different types of summons and what you can do to these said summons. Instead of just summoning them now, you will understand the different types of these said summons and know what exactly to do in the future. You will understand responding, how to respond, and when to respond to the monster summons. For example:

Karakuri ... idk beauty Model --- "Ninishi"

Ninishi's effect allows you to normal summon one extra karakuri monster this turn, in addition to your normal summon or set. (total of two normal summons in one turn) but only once per turn.
When the effect activates and you normal summon the extra one your opponent can not solemn warning the new summon.
Since Ninishi's effect is an ignition effect, which we will get to in another article, your opposing player had to solemn warning ninishi's effect, since the new summoning was a resolving effect, which we will get to in another article as well. Since all of this has happened, your monster gets away free and your opponent wasted their solemn warning - or at least they did at a regionals.

As you may already know, there are two types of summons you can perform on your turn and your opponnents turn: Normal Summons and Special Summons. You are allowed to perform a Normal Summon once per turn during your Main Phase 1 or Main Phase 2 if you did not perform a normal summon during Main Phase 1. Note also that Tribute Summoning and Gemini Summoning a Gemini monster DO count as your Normal Summon for the turn. Other than that, that's all there is to Normal Summons.
Pretty simple.

Next, we come to Special Summons. You are allowed to Special Summon as many times as you wish during a turn. However, you cannot simply decide to Special Summon something instead of Normal Summoning it, you can only Special Summon by card effects or game mechanics. There are many different kinds of Special Summoning. When you look at it from the viewpoint of there being Synchros, XYZ, Monster Reborn, and many other cards Special Summon, it seems like just too much, but it's possible to break down Special Summons into two categories: Inherent Special Summons and Special Summons By Card Effects.

-==Topic 2==-

Inherent Summons:
Special Summons that do not need an outside force to summon it. They are summoned either by game mechanics or by their own effect. In other words, these Special Summons do not start a chain.
Example: Cyber Dragon

Summons By Card Effects:
Special Summons that are summoned by an outside force, whether it be by another monster's effect, a spell effect, or a trap effect. Putting it simply, these summons start a chain which your opponent can "Chain" a card to your card.
Example: Monster Reborn

The reason is this: not everything that can negate Special Summons can negate both Inherent and Effect. In fact, VERY FEW cards negate both. It's usually either one or the other. For example, let's look at Thunder King Rai-Oh. Let's say you have Rai-Oh on your field, and your opponent activates Monster Reborn. What happens? Thunder King Rai-Oh's effect:

"During either player's turn, when your opponent would special summon a monster: You can send this face up card to the graveyard; negate the special summon and destroy it."

Thunder King DOES NOT negate these summons since the only thing that can negate the summon is a card that chains to the card's effect. These cards can be of any color, purple, green, blue, red, yellow, manilla, ect. ect.

Now back to the Thunder King Rai-Oh scenario. Chain Link 1: Monster Reborn. Can Rai-Oh decide to be Chain Link 1/2 and negate the monster's summon in the middle of Monster Reborn's resolution? No it can not. Which brings us to an important point:

NO PART OF A CHAIN CAN BE NEGATED AFTER THE CHAIN HAS STARTED TO RESOLVE, EVEN IF IT ONLY HAS ONE CHAIN LINK!
NPOACCBNATCHSTREIIOHOCL!!!!!!

Thunder King Rai-Oh CAN NOT negate Monster Reborn, therefore it cannot negate the summon of the monster that Monster Reborn has targeted.

Not remotely. You see, Thunder King Rai-Oh is only limited by not being able to stop Special Summons By Card Effects. Inherent Summons are fair game. I said Inherent Summons don't start chains, but WHY don't they and How can you tell the difference?There are two broad types of Inherent Summons as well:

Inherent Summons By Game Mechanics

Inherent Summons By A Monster's Own Effects

What is a special summon by game mechanics? Let's say you Normal Summon Debris Dragon and Special Summon Lonefire Blossom with it's effect. Then you tune them for Black Rose Dragon. What just happened there? Is there an effect on all tuners that you can send them and another monster whose total levels equal a Synchro Monster's level to summon that Synchro Monster? No, but that's what happened wasn't it? That's just the rules of the game. Synchro Summoning is a game mechanic. It is inherent because no outside effects are involved.

As for the other kind of Inherent Summons, they are distinguished by their ability to summon themselves. Cyber Dragon, and Master Hyperion are all popular examples of this. Nothing else summons them but their own condition of being special summoned, however not all monsters who summon themselves are inherent. Some types of summons require something to summon it. These types of effects can only be negated by the card Solemn Warning, and these monsters are Gorz, The Emissary of Darkness and Tragoedia. However, there are many more, but these are just two examples of this because these monsters special summon themselves when you take battle damage and since you take battle damage during the Damage Step, you can only activate Counter-Trap cards and cards that Reduce or Increase attack or defense in the Damage Step, however this isn't an article on the 7 steps of battle.

What have we learned so far?
If it summons itself, it's inherent, but there are exceptions.
If something else summons it, it's by effect, but there are exceptions.

There also are ways to trick a summon to be correct and to not be able to lose your monster that you summon. When I was using Blackwings, there was an easy trick to not lose your monster you have just summoned. Technically, if you summoned a Blackwing monster and had the card Black Whirlwind out on the field, your opponent would have to Solemn your summon, right?
No, this is not correct. It is an old Blackwing-trick that is very easy to do. When you summon the Blackwing monster, black whirlwind sort-of, protects the monster, but only if you activate Black Whirlwind's effect to add one Blackwing monster from your deck to your hand. This combo also works for different decks like Meklord Scraps and the rest of the decks with these kinds of combos.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You should really take a break now because of all the reading you've been doing. You've earned it for your information you've just read. We're only about halfway through, but go and relax for a minute or two.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

===ANDD Welcome Back!===
I hope you had a nice break, but back to learning 8D

Solemn Warning CAN negate Monster Reborn. Why? Let's read it:

"Pay 2000 life points. Negate the summon of a monster OR the effect of a spell, trap, or effects monster's effect that includes the effect of special summoning a monster, and destroy it."

"Negate the summon of a monster"
This just speaks for itself...
"OR the effect of a spell, trap, or effect monster's effect that includes the effect to special summon a monster."
This includes any summon basically...
Truthfully, Solemn Warning negates any summon ever done ever ever ever!

With Solemn Warning, Konami covered all the bases. Now let's look at something people often think to be equivalent with Solemn Warning: Black Horn of Heaven:

"Negate the special summon of one of your opponent's monsters and destroy it."

This card ONLY covers inherent special summons, which shows why it is only good as a side-deck card against certain decks. Since solemn warning negates all of the summons, but this only negates inherent summons, you have to see why paying 2000 life points is worth it. Mainly it is used to keep field control so your opponent can not summon any monsters in their turn.

However, Solemn Warning still can not interuppt chains. Here's an example for you with a Gladiator Beast combo, which is sort-of confusing, but mistaken by many.

Your opponent attacks you directly with Gladiator Beast Equeste while you have Solemn Warning face down and nothing else on the field. Clearly, he's going to go for Gladiator Beast Bestiari to pop Warning. So what do you do? Well it would be nice to not have to worry about Bestiari anymore and Warning stops all kinds of Special Summons, so the pro thing to do would be to wait until Bestiari comes out instead of negating Equeste's effect.
You would think this, but!!! Since Gladiator Beast Bestiari special summoning is a RESOLVING EFFECT, Warning can no longer butt-into the chain, therefore showing how you need to negate the effect, so equeste stays the in deck, since that is the cost for the effect.

Now a little more complicating of a deck: Scraps.
Today I'm going to show you a little combo with scraps where you will be able to keep a monster, but also keep control of the field and hand.

Example: I have Scrap Beast on my field, with Scrapstorm and Meklord Wisel in my hand. My opponent has a Warning face-down. I activate Scrapstorm targeting Scrap Beast, and my opponent has no response. I send Scrap Chimera to the graveyard, draw 1 and destroy Scrap Beast. 1 of my monsters were destroyed, so the condition to summon the Meklord has been met, but at the same time, Scrap Beast's effect to retrieve a Scrap monster can also be activated. Since both are optional effects, I get to choose which effect activates first. Because Solemn Warning has to be chained directly to the effect that special summons, I can be smart and place Meklord Wisel as Chain Link 1, and Scrap Beast as Chain Link 2. That way, my opponent is not able to activate his Warning, since he can't "butt in" between two Chain Links, and I can resolve my effects without interference.

Got it? If not read and re-read a couple more times just to get it lodged into your head, but only if you use scraps.

-==Topic 3==-

Now, I won't go into much detail of the next few types of summons since they should be pretty easy to know about. Really only new people to Yugioh should check out Topic 3.

Normal Summoning: Normal summoning a monster in Face-Up Attack Position.
This is the most commonly used summon

Flip Summoning: Setting a monster face-down defense position and then in the next turn flipping it into face-up attack position. This is the second most commonly used summon.

Fusion Summoning: Summons conducted by "Contact Fusion" a fusion that does not require the card Polymerization. The other types of fusions, however, require a card to summon them.
Example: Elemental HERO Fusion Monsters.

-==Topic 4==-

Normal Summons:
A. Normal Summons
Example: Celtic Guardian
B. Tribute Summons
Example: Dark Magician
C. Gemini Summons
Example: Elemental Hero Neos Alius

Special Summons:
A. Inherent Special Summons
1. Monster Effects That Special Summon Themselves
Example: Cyber Dragon
2. Synchro Summons
Example: Stardust Dragon
3. XYZ Summons
Example: Number 39: Utopia
4. Contact Fusions
Example: Gladiator Beast Gyzarus

B.
Special Summons By A Card Effect
1. Monster Effects That Special Summon Other Monsters
Example: Tour Guide From The Underworld
2. Special Summons By A Spell Card's Effect
Example: Fusions That Need Polymerization
3. Special Summons By A Trap's Effect
Example: Call of The Haunted

-==Topic 5==-
==Works Cited=

http://TDGA.forumotion.com//t2100-what-the-heck-is-inherent-a-comprehensive-guide-to-the-summons-of-yugioh
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Normal_Summon
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Tribute_Summon
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Flip_uSummon
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Synchro_Summon
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Xyz_Summon
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Fusion_Summon
======================================================================================
So by now you must've gained so much information. Please, feel free to check out the above links of my Works Cited page. All of the above articles, from wikia and from tdga, helped a lot to make this article. Thanks for reading 8D!
======================================================================================
Be smart, gain control.
~Harb

descriptionWhat did this guy just say about that summon!? EmptyRe: What did this guy just say about that summon!?

more_horiz
wow, first time readinbg at article, at first i was getting overworke becaue i didnt get anythng then i realized i did... i feel like a noob now :I... anyqway, i have a question, if you use starligh road to special summon stardust dragon, and you negate an effect that destroy, can you special summon it at end phase?

descriptionWhat did this guy just say about that summon!? EmptyRe: What did this guy just say about that summon!?

more_horiz
No train.
since stardust was never properly summoned, the first effect can activate since the effect has the cost of tributing stardust, but only because stardust resolves the negate of the destroy effect in the graveyard.
After that, you arrive at the point at the end phase. Since stardust was never properly summoned, the effect does not activate and you can not get it back.

To put it simply: No

more_horiz
What did this guy just say about that summon!? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5uBdbNPT3M_Baa163HmWYlQkOhmtanmk3R0zR8wKmFElrK_zz :<

more_horiz
Anyways, thanks for reading.

more_horiz
is there a thump up system in this forum? o-o

more_horiz
Yea the little + at the right side of a post.

Good article Harb Wink

more_horiz
thanks ;3

Where's my DP? -.-

more_horiz
I do not get how people can write an essay over a card game.
Anyways, nice article.

more_horiz
It's not on the card game, it's about the rules of the card game.

more_horiz
That's even worse o.o
I find it hard to write this much over any game.
Especially rules.

more_horiz
It's not really hard.. just go into deep explanation of things that are not that hard to understand...

more_horiz
nice article, and here I am preparing to write about the same thing >_> that i said i would >_>

more_horiz
Didn't see your post in the article team sub-forum. I've been typing this article for the past week or so.

more_horiz
Great article, just 1 thing though. You mention a trick that lets you protect your Blackwing monster if you have Black Whirlwind on the field. That is partially correct. Your opponent can still Solemn Warning the Blackwing Monster's summon, or use Bottomless/Torrential to destroy the monster, so that you also don't get to search, but back in the day when Royal Oppression was around, there was a trick with Blackwing - Blizzard.
Similar to the Scrap example you gave, when Blizzard is summoned, both his effect and Black Whirlwind activate at the same time, so you can place Blizzard as Chain Link 1 and Whirlwind as Chain Link 2. Because of that, he can't use Oppression since he has to chain it directly to Blizzard's effect.
If you opponent has Warning, he can just use it to negate the initial summon, which is before Black Whirlwind would get a chance to activate, and with things like Bottomless or Torrential, it will just be chained to Whirlwind's effect, and then resolve backwards like normal.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply