Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

descriptionMonster Effects EmptyMonster Effects

more_horiz
I'm having trouble understand, Ignition, Continuous Effects, and Priority. I've looked at YuGiOh Wiki's and saw 13 paragraphs that explained very little or was too complicated for my tiny brain to understand. I'm very lazy person to try to get a Thesaurus and comprehend the Egyptian Hieroglyphics that ejaculated upon my eyes. So, DuelingAcademy, do me a favor and give me a TL;DR summary of the meaning of Ignition, Passive (Continuous Effects), and Priority?

Loves n Hugs, Bluecheese

descriptionMonster Effects EmptyRe: Monster Effects

more_horiz
Ignition Effect: It's a kind of Monster Effects that is OPTIONSL, means you can choose weither you want to use that effect or not when you are able to use it.

Continuos Effects: WTF >_< simple xD, Like Jinzo, Spirit Reaper, or any Monster effect that is activated while he is on the field, most likely it's not options means you gotta use it (The effect will be activated when that monster is summoned, Includes Normal S., Special S.)

Priority: Peace of cake, take for example Debris Dragon or Lonefire Blossom. When you summon a monster (let's say Lonefire Blossom) you can call Prio aka Priority if you didn't call priority then you can't USE priority, this is an important call because if you didn't call it your opponent will be able to destroy it and you won't be able to use effect.
Another example, let's say you summoned Caius The Shadow Monarch, you called PRIORITY and used his effect. After that your opponent can activate for example Bottomless Trap Hole and destroy Caius the shadow monarch. BUT if (example) your opponent got let's say Solemn Judgment/Warning then you can't use Priority since this type of cards negate the summoning it self before the monster get the opportunity to touch the field unlike Bottomless Trap Hole where the monster is destroyed AFTER he is summoned.

if it's complicated, then idk >_< lol

more_horiz
i think anzo went over prio pertty good but im gonna see if i can explain the other 2 better

and ignition effect is a effect that i optional like stradust dragon you can choose to activate his effect to negate a card that destroyes a card on the field thats how ignitions work (don't quite know if that explained it better or not XD)

a passive effect is usually continuos eff but some times it isnt but a passive effect s a effect that MUST happen you have no choice but to activate like spirit reaper or the monarchs

ans got prio down good but im guessing scince you dont undestand theese 3 terms you probably don't know what a semi-nomi is if not tell me and ill edit this post

more_horiz
Both of the above posts got the passive effects wrong. They DO NOT ACTIVATE, THEY NEVER ACTIVATE. They are in effect as long as the card with a passive effect is face-up on the field. That means they do not start a chain and you cannot chain to them with anything except if you want to negate the summon/activation of the card itself.

more_horiz
Love you guys, you explained it very well, especially priority. Priority was the one I got most confused about.

Thanks again.

more_horiz
Another thing that Anzo got wrong is that you can't call priority to put the effect of a Monarch as a chain link 1 aka using priority because their effects are trigger effects and they will always activate at their summon.

more_horiz
Is it possible you can give a better example of priority?

more_horiz
prio is when you activate a monsters ignition effect right when you summon before/when your opp activates a card like botemless trap (but not solemn J and solemn W as they negate the summons and thuis mon never hits the field) like say you summon stradust dragon and your opp activates BTH well you can call prio with SD and negate BTH and SD wont get banished

more_horiz
you cant call priority with SD as a chain to BTH .-.
an example of priority: u summon lonefire blossom call priority and your opponent chains torrential tribute, lonefire still works even tho the summoned monster will still be destroyed

another example:you summon lonefire blossom and use priority thus your opponent cant chain effect veiler.

if you know what priority means in ur language then you ofcourse know what is Player's priority
i couldnt explain it beter, but i still feel i didnt explain it well

more_horiz
So much fail in this thread on priority. Not saying you are wrong but you know what they say, if you can't explain it simple then you don't understand it well Smile

Lets state like this, priority is the turn's player ability to respond to an action first, before his opponent can respond to it.

So lets take now an example. Black Rose Dragon. He has ignition and trigger effect. We will focus just on his trigger effect for this example (his 1st effect). Trigger means his effect must meat the right timing to activate: "When this card is Synchro Summoned" <- this is the condition that must be met for it to 'trigger'. Now, the part where it says "you can destroy all cards on the field" means when the conditions are met for triggering then you can choose to activate it or not. We call this Optional Trigger effect. Now lets say you summon Black Rose Dragon while your opponent has face down cards on the field. When you summon it you call priority meaning you want to respond to your own summon action, by chaining Black Rose Dragon's optional trigger effect to its summon. Now, priority is passed to your opponent and he can respond. He activates bottomless trap hole but your Black Rose Dragons effect will still take place. Now, if you did not use priority to respond and your opponent chains bottomless you would not be able to recall priority since you lost your chance to do it before and Black Rose would be destroyed without ability to use its effect.

more_horiz
Thank you so much for everyone helping me out. Amy Cool, that was pretty freaking neato you used Alert Einstein's quote. Truly an inspiring man of science. On a different note, all of you explained priority really well and I now have a fantastic understanding.

more_horiz
I feel like clearing stuff up since apparently, people like to give bad examples and misinformation...:

1: Was somewhat explained already. Ignition effects are optional effects that the turn player can choose to activate in either one of his Main Phases, and only in the Main Phases. It's Spell Speed 1, meaning it can't be manually chained to anything.

(Someone mentioned Stardust Dragon here, but Stardust's effect to negate something that destroys, isn't an Ignition effect, so bad example)

2: Continuous effects are effects that are applied immediatly after a monster is succesfully summoned, such as Jinzo or Bountiful Artemis (I say succesfully summoned, because your opponent can use a trap card, such as Solemn Warning, on Jinzo even though his effect prevents trap cards from being activate, because Jinzo wasn't succesfully summoned). As Train Hardnett said, Continuous effects do not activate, they are just applied when they hit the field.

(Here, someone mentioned Monarchs as an example, but Monarchs do not have Continuous effects; they have Trigger effects)

3: Priority is not something you "call". It's something a player has.
Usually, turn player has priority, but it is passed if turn player starts a chain (actions that don't start a chain such as drawing during the Draw Phase, setting a card, etc., do not pass priority) or if the turn player states he is passing priority.
During the main phase, when a chain resolves and no monster is summoned, the turn player retains priority to activate a Spell Speed 2 or higher effect in response to the resolution of that chain. If the chain results in a monster being summoned, the turn player retains priority to activate an Ignition effect or Spell Speed 2 or higher effect in response.

Example 1: The turn player activates Call of the Haunted targeting Lonefire Blossom. When CotH resolves, Lonefire is special summoned to the field. The turn player can now retain priority to activate Lonefire Blossom's effect.

Example 2: The turn player activates Destiny Draw discarding Destiny Hero Malicious. When Destiny Draw resolves, the turn player has priority to activate a Spell Speed 2 or higher effect. They cannot retain priority to activate Malicious' effect. Here, the non-turn player would be able to chain D.D. Crow either to Destiny Draw, or activate it in response to the resolution of Destiny Draw, so that he can remove Malicious before its effect can be activated.

In regards to priority when a monster is summoned: If the turn player summons a monster, and there are no Trigger effects interfering, the turn player retains priority to activate the Ignition effect of one of their monsters, or activate a Spell Speed 2 or higher effect in response to the successful summon.

Example 1: The turn player summons a Snipe Hunter. The non-turn player has a lot of face down cards he would like to activate, however, the non-turn player must wait until the turn player decides whether or not he will activate the Ignition effect of any of his monsters, or a spell speed 2 or higher effect in response to the summon. After the turn player has performed one of those actions, or has passed priority to the non-turn player by deciding that they will not activate any effects, the non-turn player is allowed to activate a spell speed 2 or higher effect in response to the summon of Snipe Hunter.

Example 2: The turn player successfully summons an Exiled Force while they control a Cyber Valley. The turn player can use his priority to activate either one of those monsters' Ignition effects.

(In the Lonefire vs. Torrential example you gave, Placido, the summoned monster will not be destroyed. Amy, in your example, 2 things are wrong: 1st, if you activate Black Rose's effect to nuke the field when it's summoned, you don't chain it to the summon, because synchro summoning a monster doesn't start a chain. 2nd, you state that it's a Trigger effect, yet you're saying you're using your priority to place it as Chain Link 1 (which btw, wouldn't be possible if the summon started a chain), but as I've stated above, when a monster is summoned, you retain priority to activate Ignition effects, not Trigger effects, so whether or not you want to activate its effect to blow up the field, has nothing to do with priority)

more_horiz
Thank you, Bakura, I think you really summed it up for everyone who is just as confused as I am, hopefully people can go back to this post and use it as a reference whenever they are confused about any of the topics we went over.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply