Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

descriptionA simple question about "Spirit Reaper" and "Ultimate Offering" effects EmptyA simple question about "Spirit Reaper" and "Ultimate Offering" effects

more_horiz
My deck is entirely Zombie based and lots of my strategies revolve around these 2 cards. However I have found their effects slightly confusing and after finding this for another card's effect I figured I could ask here to have their effects clarified.

Spirit Reaper:

Effect (for convenience): This card cannot be destroyed by battle. Destroy this card when it is targeted by a Spell, Trap, Spell/Trap effect, or Effect Monster effect. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent by a direct attack, your opponent randomly discards 1 card.

Question: If I activate a field card such as wasteland, is spirit reaper destroyed? The effect says "when it is targeted" however I'm not sure if this means only cards which's effects say "Target a monster" or if it's any effect that would affect Spirit Reaper.

Similarly how about book of life? I'm assuming it works since it technically only targets him while he's in the graveyard but I want to make sure.

Ultimate offering:

Effect (for convenience): During your Main Phase or your opponent's Battle Phase: You can pay 500 Life Points; Normal Summon or Set 1 extra monster.

Question: Does that work for monsters that require sacrifices (tribute summons) Such as "Despair from the dark"? Or are Tribute summons not considered normal summons?

And if I can summon a monster that normally requires sacrifices do I need to sacrifice for them?

Thanks for the help, last time I asked something here you guys were very helpful, And this time I know where to post XD.

Note: The effects were copied/pasted from the Dueling Network

descriptionA simple question about "Spirit Reaper" and "Ultimate Offering" effects EmptyRe: A simple question about "Spirit Reaper" and "Ultimate Offering" effects

more_horiz
1. No, Wasteland doesn't target any card.
2. Book of Life does target Spirit Reaper, but it's targeted while its continuous effect hasn't applied (because it is in graveyard), thus BoL won't destroy Reaper.
#Call of the Haunted, in the other hand would destroy Spirit Reaper once it's summoned.

3. Yes you can in that case, you need to tribute a monster or two depending on the level of the summoned monster.

descriptionA simple question about "Spirit Reaper" and "Ultimate Offering" effects EmptyRe: A simple question about "Spirit Reaper" and "Ultimate Offering" effects

more_horiz
All right so the spell/trap/effect monster's effect needs to specifically target spirit reaper by either mentioning "target 1 monster/card" or by applying it's effect specifically to 1 card And my theory was right about ultimate offering. Thanks for the help it's greatly appreciated

more_horiz
When an effect targets, it chooses at the time of activation the specific card(s) that it will affect. You are likely to find some other Field Spell card that actually has a similar effect but Wasteland isn't one of them. Therefore, Spirit Reaper will be alive before and after its activation.

Spirit Reaper can also be brought back with Book Of Life. You have to use a "Target" effect on Spirit Reaper while it stays on the Field to have it be destroyed. Ultimate Offering breaks a single game rule; You can Normal Summon another time by paying the 500 LP cost, meaning that a level 8 monster, for instance, requires two monsters on the field to be offered as a tribute. These two might be brought by Ultimate Offering or even not.

more_horiz
Thanks that's very helpful I greatly appreciate

more_horiz
In the Spirit Reaper case I would like to add that Spirit Reaper will self destruct ONLY after the card that TARGET's him for it's effect resolves Spirit Reaper effect will kick in and self destruct. But that is ONLY if Spirit Reaper is face-up on the field after the card's resolution.

EX: If you target Spirit Reaper with Book of Moon, Spirit Reaper will be flipped face-down and since it is no longer face-up on the field, he will not be destroyed by it's own effect.

more_horiz
oh cool! thanks

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply