Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

descriptionSkill Drain vs Veiler EmptySkill Drain vs Veiler

more_horiz
In my last local (?) tournament there's been an issue about Skill Drain and Veiler.
The judge said that while Skill Drain's effect is applied, Rescue Rabbit can't be targeted by Veiler because you can't negate an effect that was already negated.

As a support, he also provided Majestic Star Dragon's Ruling
MSD can't negate effect that was negated

And That Fabled Unicore can't negate and destroy a monster if its effect was negated earlier.
Suppose "Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror" and "The Fabled Unicore" are both face-up on the field, and a player Tribute Summons "Caius the Shadow Monarch". If both players have the same number of cards in their hands when resolving the effect of "Caius the Shadow Monarch", then the turn player's effect negates the effect of "Caius the Shadow Monarch". Or, if the same player controls both "Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror" and "The Fabled Unicore", then that player chooses which effect negates the effect of "Caius the Shadow Monarch".[3]

#my local tournament is unofficial btw.

descriptionSkill Drain vs Veiler EmptyRe: Skill Drain vs Veiler

more_horiz
Your judge was incorrect comparing Veiler to MSD since those cards work in a totally dofferent way.

MSD negates the activation of an effect, Veiler negates all effects that resolve on the field.

Now woth Fabled Unicore, Fabled Unicore's effect is continuous and I'm not quite sure how you can compare those two types of effects, yet I'm not sure there.

I would say you can use Veiler, but I will have to try that somewhere.

more_horiz
necrobumping for adding a source.
http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread.php?t=1094077

more_horiz
Firstly, if you're going to use quotes from a source then you should site that sources or sources. Secondly, Effect Veiler will resolv without its effect. In the case of Fabled Unicore/ S-IM vs Caius, assuming that that ruling is legitimate and official, then Effect Veiler vs Chain should work in the same way. It doesn't matter if it's continuous or a quick effect in this instance because they're both only caring about having legal targets to negate an effect, not when or how they activate, since they would both activate anyway. There's not a lot of comparable scenarios to this one, but the best I can think of that best portrays this scenario is Dark Hole vs Scrap Beast/ Scrapstorm. The activation of Dark Hole still goes through, but because Scrap Beast is no longer on the field during the resolution of Dark Hole (and we're assuming that no other monsters exist on the field), then Dark Hole resolves without it's effect. Effect Veiler should fizzle in the same way, but I can't speak with absolute certainty. KONAMI has inconsistent card mechanics and rulings, and e-mailing them would just give you a response from someone with no credibility on giving accurate rulings. I would go with the assumption that Effect Veiler fizzles since there is no legal target when that part of the chain resolves.

Does Gottoms still work for KONAMI?

more_horiz
Wait wait wait

Did you just say Vieler cant negate a cards effect that was affected by Skill drain

First of all

Skill drain negates face up monster effects and Veiler negates effect that activate on the field

My point is skill drain says they can still activate

So why can't veiler be used

Effects are still being activated, I don't see why Effect veiler isn't able to be used

more_horiz
Nobody said that Skill Drain affected cards that were off of the field. I was saying that Veiler MAY not be able to resolve with it's own effect after activation because there is no effect to negate after being hit by Skill Drain. I'm not implying that Rabbit can't activate it's own effect with Skill Drain out. The situation is using Skill Drain so Rabbit CAN use its effect, no longer being affected by Effect Veiler because Skill Drain has already resolved while Rabbit is still on the field.

On the other hand though, I could also argue why Veiler would be able to still resolve with its effect, hitting Rabbit, but I've seen more immunity to Veiler through other card negations than I have Veiler still affecting Rabbit. I also admitted to not knowing for certain, so I don't see why you're getting uppity over it. In fact, I had original thought that Veiler would likely hit it, but the game is so inconsistent that I wouldn't be surprised either way, as is the case with Fabled Unicore, which is what I based my original post off of.

more_horiz
http://forum.duelingnetwork.com/index.php?/topic/37023-effect-veiler-vs-skill-drain/

Reaper answered this pretty good

more_horiz
well, yes, i guess, that conclude it.
answered, this could be locked.

more_horiz
Answer'd N' Lock'd

more_horiz
Pl0x wrote:
http://forum.duelingnetwork.com/index.php?/topic/37023-effect-veiler-vs-skill-drain/

Reaper answered this pretty good
So, you made a condescending comment towards me, and I ended up being right at second glance? Well, at least it's nice that you were able to provide a link. That's awesome.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply