Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

LOOKING FOR TEACHERS!

+24
Naito Raizu
FluffyTots
Typical Jew™
Vector
!!!!!guess who
bakura normal
Rand
KnightyKnight
Sylveraine
Kairi
Frisky Badger
girlchan
Fated Chronos
Amaretsu
Lyte
Jue Viole Grace
jjh927
Night-Hawk
Dex
Ezekeil
Linda-Senpai
Potus Mat
Amy Kool
Nekofjung
28 posters

descriptionLOOKING FOR TEACHERS! - Page 2 EmptyLOOKING FOR TEACHERS!

more_horiz
First topic message reminder :

Hello everyone!

Have you been thinking to yourself:

"Hey, I'm cool enough to be DA Staff?"

Have you had thought's of:

"I'm smart enough to teach people things?"

If so, we want !YOU! to join the DA Staff as a teacher!
(woah, bet you didn't see that one coming)

Teachers at DA will get the benefits associated with being staff, and in return we expect the following things of you:

1. Make lessons for the students of Duel Academy.
2. Write articles showcasing new strategies, meta, interesting decks, or dueling theory.
3. Help out members in the Dueling Classes Section with things such as: Deck fixes, ruling questions, and in general provide quality information for members in that section.

Unfortunately, not everyone who has thoughts of grandeur are worthy of becoming Duel Academy Teachers. While showing that you have a comprehensive knowledge of card rulings and gameplay is important, equally (if not more) important are the following 2 concepts:

1. MUST BE ACTIVE.
(seriously, if you're not going to be active, don't even bother to apply)

2. Must show that you have an excellent handling of the English language and that you can communicate your points effectively.

With those points in mind, here is the application that you must fill out and PM to me or Perdition if you wish to become a Teacher. As former head of the Article Team, I will share my thought of your application with the rest of the staff and a decision to accept or deny your application will be made, so will Perdition.

THE APPLICATION:

1. What is your age and current level of education?

2. Is English your native language, and if not how many English courses have you taken?

3. What, in your opinion, would be the ideal Duel Academy Teacher? [150 words maximum]

4. What qualifies you to be a Duel Academy Teacher? [100 words minimum]

Again, PM your answers to me or to Perdition.

descriptionLOOKING FOR TEACHERS! - Page 2 EmptyRe: LOOKING FOR TEACHERS!

more_horiz
C.C. wrote:
y u hating, lol.

and what does being dutch have to do with anythin, lol, I don't get that part ._.''

for the rest, understandable.

Well, being Dutch is nothing wrong or so lol

It's just that you're not native in English and stuff.

more_horiz
and yet I manage to talk just as well in english as you do, if not better. You know my english isn't my problem, it's just been the rulings.

more_horiz
O; Well, it says you're from Vienna,Austria, wouldn't English not be your native language either, Irate?

more_horiz
indeed. It isn't. And from what I talked to him irl about, well, english ain;t his best part either (no hate)

Netz Razz

more_horiz
C.C. wrote:
indeed. It isn't. And from what I talked to him irl about, well, english ain;t his best part either (no hate)

Netz Razz

Actually, my father is English and I did live in England for a few years, so I'm a native but I lived too long in German-speaking countries, hence why my English IRL is rusted a bit.

I can write exceptionally well in English, tho. Or at least I think so.

Last edited by Irate on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
So can I, but this is getting awefully off topic, lol. I'll wait with the application 'till I unno when, then, maybe, I'll send it.

more_horiz
I'm sorry, but How can you live in English? Must have been a typo, I'm not ranting on your English nor if it's perfect or not. All I'm saying is, not everyone's English is perfect. even at a college level of education.

more_horiz
I mistyped, yeah.

Anyways, let's stop all the Off-Topic discussion.

more_horiz
Irate, y u repeating my lines Razz

makes you look less professional Razz

more_horiz
I know yall said no more off topic but the rest of my post will be on topic so bear with me. The dutch are so much better at speaking and writhing in English than the English or Americans are it is shameful.

also this is yugiz da fuq doz proper english have to do with diz shiz. i mean will all of our students speak English like a native? Im not saying asking after people with experience wrighting and speaking in english was vacuous but come on diz iz ze internetz we all undetanz de lingo.

where do i know you from neko?

also if its not obvious Ill be applying soon.

more_horiz
English matters simply because we have to write articles and lessons without many mistakes as teachers. Also, not all US and English citizens are incompetent buffoons, just a majority of them. That holds true in the entire world though.

more_horiz
Oh if we're bringing up about this topic can I just say. I want a teacher who can teach me. Not tell me to run CoTH because it plays well with doomcaliber... I'm not saying names but e_e. I get they need good English to be able to be teachers, but think about it, they also need to be experienced to do something like this. Last I checked nobody wants to be taught by someone who knows as much as them.

more_horiz
Well, bakura, I rather prefer a teacher who knows how to write stuff and forgets some card effects from time to time than a teacher knowledgable about rulings but incompetent at writing.

Have in mind that we're all merely humans and can forget things from time to time.
Even head admins on DN are not perfect; during a match between two of them, eventually one tried to activate TWO Forbidden Lances on one and the same monster.

Now I understand that above was a legal action, but, think about it.

more_horiz
Irate wrote:
Well, bakura, I rather prefer a teacher who knows how to write stuff and forgets some card effects from time to time than a teacher knowledgable about rulings but incompetent at writing.

Have in mind that we're all merely humans and can forget things from time to time.
Even head admins on DN are not perfect; during a match between two of them, eventually one tried to activate TWO Forbidden Lances on one and the same monster.

Now I understand that above was a legal action, but, think about it.

Plays Lance on Shi-en, negate, plays another lance. Your point Irate? YOUR POINT?

more_horiz
Do you want me to re-phase my statement ._.?

Anyways, my point is that being a teacher is not solely based on being good or even perfect at rulings or anything of that sort (although basics are required), but it's more of a thing of being a person who teaches other not-so-knowledgable at their things.

This may sound a bit weird, but, as a former teacher, you may know that all articles are pre-released for.correction by the fully combined article/lesson team (Teachers, basically), administration and moderation team.

more_horiz
Anyone who continues this argument after this post receives a warning.

The reason for why being good at English is important to a teacher is very simple. You have to take info from your head and put it in the student's head. The best way to do this is by being able to speak the language well. Additionally, it makes DA look bad to have articles on the site that are poorly written or that have bad information.

I do look at a person's background and experience as part of the hiring process. It is a mixture of good background and professional writing skills that gets a person a good review from me. I prefer to know whether English is your native language or not, not because I'm bashing other countries, but because it helps me look at tour application with a more specific perspective.

And again, anyone who continues this pointless bickering after this post will receive a warning, and it may affect the outcome of applications submitted. After all, I want people who are team players, not whiney little babies.

/end of rant

more_horiz
reading through this... wondering if i should apply... so should I? I have decent grammar and pretty good writing ability but not much experience on this site overall... is it best i don't apply until I have more posts or should I just go for it?

more_horiz
I'd suggest first showing that you are active on this site.

more_horiz
From today on, people may also send me the applications.

If you're interested, you may either send the PM to nekofjung or to me, whomsoever you find more attracting (in a non-dubious way).

more_horiz
pIrate wrote:

If you're interested, you may either send the PM to nekofjung or to me, whomsoever you find more attracting (in a non-dubious way).
Aren't Administrators the ones who decide who become teachers?

more_horiz
GirlChan, yoo, lol.

And no, Irate has been given the allowance to pick Teachers by himself. Guess I was his first victim, lol.

more_horiz
GirlChan wrote:
pIrate wrote:

Aren't Administrators the ones who decide who become teachers?

I have just recently been promoted to Head Teacher.

Means that I and neko are now both equally in charge of hiring and firing teachers.

more_horiz
Can I be a teacher, I know much about rulings, and im improving in deckbuilding

more_horiz
guard send in the app :O

more_horiz
Well I sent in my application. Just wondering what the decision was or if it's still being discussed.

more_horiz
it is being discussed :\

more_horiz
should i send in app now or l8er when i am allowed to?

more_horiz
Later when you're allowed to. As part of your "probation" period you can't hold staff positions for the next 3 months Kairi.

more_horiz
oki, i will continue writing articles and hand them all in at once to swamp you guys with like 20 articles :I

more_horiz
I would, but I feel I need some one to help me understand more of the rulings in the game and such. I know I could make great lessons at the very least, but I'm lacking in some of the rulings and such. Should I still try, or is it not even worth it?

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum