Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

descriptionmimgrim's tier list ._. Emptymimgrim's tier list ._.

more_horiz
tier 1

dino-rabbit
inzektor
wind-up

tier 1.5

dragunity - people might say i am biased about this but if i were ebing biased i would have put them at tier 1, instead i truly think they belong here :/
hieratic
dark world
six samurai
t.g. stun
gladiator beast
hero
chaos piper
agent
gravekeeper
chaos dragon

tier 2

infernity
gusto
x-saber
blackwing
karakuri
lightsworn
disaster dragon
evol
fable
gishki

tier 3

crystal beasts
flamvell
and some toher decks i dont feel like going over ._.

descriptionmimgrim's tier list ._. EmptyRe: mimgrim's tier list ._.

more_horiz
Tier 1 is Chaos Dragons, and Dino Rabbit
Tier 1.5 is Inzektors, Wind-Up and Darkworld
Tier 2 is Bubblebeat and maybe six samurai

All those other decks you listed are NOT tiers

more_horiz
I agree with this list. Dragunity though... Not so much.

Shut up N.

more_horiz
I'd go with:

Tier 1:
Dino rabbit
Inzektor
Chaos dragon
E heroes

Tier 1.5:
Wind-up
Chaos
Dark world

Tier 2:
Hieratic
Six samurai
T.G.
Chain burn

Anything else is Tier 3 if simply because you just never see anything else making Top 32 at major tournies except once in a blue moon.

more_horiz
Lightsworn 1.5

more_horiz
Tier 1:
Dino rabbit
Inzektor
Chaos dragon

Tier 1.5:
Wind-up
HERO Beat
Dark world

Tier 2:
Chaos Variants
Six samurai
T.G
Chain burn

more_horiz
i don't know why people insist on making tiers... seeing as there really is no such thing in Yugioh...

more_horiz
Leon Genesis wrote:
i don't know why people insist on making tiers... seeing as there really is no such thing in Yugioh...

i was bored ._.

more_horiz
obviously, grim...

and go ahead a read this. it is highly educational
http://yugioh.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=2788

more_horiz
Sly wrote:
I agree with this list. Dragunity though... Not so much.

Shut up N.

How are decks that never even show up at YCS tier?

more_horiz
^^and that right there is ignorance... which in this case is NOT bliss

more_horiz
Leon Genesis wrote:
obviously, grim...

and go ahead a read this. it is highly educational
http://yugioh.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=2788

Don't think anybody is going to read that x.x

more_horiz
in that case....

“Tier 1”
Speaking of killing your ability to innovate, the whole concept of a tier system in Yu-Gi-Oh! may be the worst contributor to that problem. Let's be clear: there's absolutely no tier system for rating decks in this game. And yet, a huge chunk of the Dueling population talks about tiers all the time. Why is that poor? Let's compare the following statements:

-“Dino Rabbit has won three recent YCS tournaments.”
-“Dino Rabbit is Tier 1.”

Do me a favor: tell me which of the above statements communicates actual information, and which one makes reference to a vague, fairytale numeric system with no definition, meaning, or value.

...Good job. I'm glad you got that one right. Let's try another.

-“Dino Rabbit, Wind-Ups, Inzektors, and Chaos Dragons are popular right now amongst competitive tournament players.”
-“Dino Rabbit, Wind-Ups, Inzektors, and Chaos Dragons are Tier 1.”

See a pattern developing? Again, the first of these statements communicates actual ideas, while the second one communicates nothing. How about this one?

-“Gravekeepers could have competitive potential, but they haven't been successful yet in a Championship-level tournament in this format.”
-“Gravekeepers are Tier 2.”

Again, one of these statements expresses coherent thoughts. The other one doesn't. But unlike our first two examples, there's something sinister going on this time around. Here, the first statement suggests that while Gravekeepers haven't been competitively proven in the current format yet, the possibility that they could be competitive isn't ruled out. The “Tier 2” statement is different: it just slaps a negative label on a deck that could be a winner, but hasn't won yet. It literally says absolutely nothing except, “This deck isn't Tier 1.” That implies it's not even worth playing in the first place, because why would you play an inferior strategy?

The use of a tier system, and related terminology, is the enemy of innovation. The whole concept just exists to crap on decks that haven't won yet. And then, when those “lower tier” decks do win? Everybody turns around and suddenly acts as if they're magically “Tier 1” now. Well... Sometimes they do. Other times, alot of people just go on bashing the deck anyways.

I really doubt Peter Gross looked at Chaos Dragons before YCS Toulouse, and thought, “This deck is clearly Tier 2. I'm going to play it regardless.” Michael Balan didn't look at Dark World before Long Beach, and proceed to tell all his friends, “I've decided to play an inferior deck. I believe in a numerical system that defines it as being worse than Dino Rabbit.” Truly great players don't view the game in those kinds of terms. At least not while they're winning.

If the potential damage these terms can cause you as a player isn't enough to get you to stop using them, how about the fact that tiers aren't defined at all? This is literally an arbitrary system, with no agreed-upon definitions whatsoever. How many YCS tournaments does a deck have to win in order for it to officially be Tier 1? Two tournaments? One tournament? Any? What percentage of the field does a deck have to occupy, or how many tops does it need to accrue, to be Tier 2? And what tournaments should contribute to that running count? Better yet, what is this hilarious garbage about “Tier 1.5” and “Tier 2.5”. Really? Do we really need to make an imaginary system – one that's both pointless and irrational – even more complicated by adding decimals? And even if we could suggest a standardized tier system, would anybody agree on it anyway?

As fun as it is to ask those Questions, the reality is that they don't matter. The only Question that should concern you is this: does the use of a tier system help you become a better player? And the answer to that is a resounding “Hell no.” If you want to talk about a deck's track record in major events, talk about the deck's track record in major events. If you happen to know what percentage of the field it occupied at a tournament, talk about that. Talk about tops, and potential, and possible interactions, both negative and positive with other decks.

Just don't talk about tiers, because doing so is completely useless. It literally doesn't mean anything.

more_horiz
Tier 1 (OCG):
Verz Laggia
HERO Variants (predominantly HERO Beat and Alive HEROs)
Inzektors
Chaos/ Twilight Dragons

Tier 2 (OCG):
Offering Machina Gadgets
Flamvel/ Laval (Used to be T1)
Mermails/ Atlanteans
Dark World (I don't believe in T1.5 since it's a middle place in the tier system)
Hieratics
Gravekeepers

A notable mention is Infernitys, since they used to be T2 in the OCG (now dropped into T3, along with SS).

Tier 1 (TCG):
Chaos/ Twilight Dragons
Inzektors
Wind-Ups
Rescue Dinos

Tier 2 (TCG):
Six Samurai
Dark World
HERO variants
Hieratics

The main differences between the TCG metagame and the OCG metagame are the following: (1) TCG exclusives. This is apparent in both Wind-Up's and Rescue Dino's. (2) Cards not released in the TCG. We don't have access to some of the cards that the OCG has, thus making some of their metagame decks unplayable. (3) Popularity. There are plenty of decks that are worthy of higher tiers, but aren't represented equally at events due to lower amounts being played, giving the stigma that any said deck isn't as good as another said deck because it hasn't been successful at events. This mindset perpetuates itself into making people believe that a deck isn't as viable as the current T1, which is a falsehood due to a lower turnout. It's arguable that Offering Machina Gadgets are actually as good as Inzektors, but because of lower turnouts at events, haven't been represented equally and as a result makes them a less attractive choice to play.

@Sho The tier system is a system of categorical organization, and is a useful tool to determine what to play, what to side against, and so on. It's not even an exclusive system to YGO. MTG has had the tier system since it began, Pokemon has a tier system, and so does CFV, and so on.

more_horiz
This topic is old Necropost much?

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply