Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

My Input on Getting Activity Going.

power_settings_newLogin to reply
+5
CrimsonOverlord
Staxx
Booked
Drunkion
kyosuke kiryu
9 posters

descriptionMy Input on Getting Activity Going. EmptyMy Input on Getting Activity Going.

more_horiz
Hello, this is my feedback on getting people to want to duel again. I posted an idea on my other thread where I suggested ABD dorm to be back, but to keep those 2 subjects separate here is my idea.

I mean to create more activity and more activity in the dueling scene it's possible, but we need to advertise more! I remember back in my days when I ran an academy (Duel Kings Academy for those who were from the old times.) with my partner Silentherox we established prizes such as points for advertising.

Example, Staff or committed members would duel random people in lobby and after we beat them on a duel we would say that there are better duelists in our academy and ask if they were interested in joining an academy and link them to it, sorta like selling something to someone. Yes, it can get people annoyed, but it works! I even got people/staff from KCVDS to join(KCVDS is equivalent to like DN forums.) It's all about being committed members and on your spare time dueling random people to advertise the academy, the concept of an academy is cool to some, so you will get many to join. Feel free to explain what we do here such as battle people with talent, without having to duel noobs who don't know much about the game! You can explain the fun games we have to offer such as dice games, and the point system this academy has implemented. It's free, so you are not selling anything just asking people to join. You can tell them to try it out and if not they can leave anytime. But point is to bring people because how else are we going to make the duels more exciting without more people!

Anyways. back then, we also would ask our members to advertise and we gave them points or compensation for advertising. Even ranking up depending on how many duelists they recommended a month. Keep in mind that to be in another rank other than slifer it's not just about being good at dueling, you have to be helpful and essential to the academy or community as well. Now, the way we determined if someone new was recommended by someone trying to get points, I would tell the new member to make their introductions in the intro section and include if someone recommended them and put their name on their intro, and grant them their points then and there (of course more work on staff). In Duel Kings, we had a testing system and point system similar to what we have here, or had. We are so used to basing our ranks on dueling skill level, which is good and all, but when in reality those who advertise get better at dueling. How do you ask? The duel random people which they get better and then asking their opponents to join at the same time so that's profit for both that persons skills, and for the academy. Slifers, which is what we start off newbies as, will gain motivation to rank up by advertising (Yes, I know we are not trying to make it easy on the slifers to move up, but it has to be done to gain activity and bring back dueling here). We are so used to making it more difficult for these new members moving from a simple slifer to Ra. I feel like the old point system was always better. Now a days these people lack motivation to rank up or stay since they start from the lowest of low but then you do have some who like the challenge, but those who like the challenge won't mind starting from the bottom, but since barely anyone duels now a days they have no one to compete with. I think that everyone starting from Slifer was the lazy way to do things per say. I feel like when we actually "tested" someone based on rulings, and dueling skills and ranking them was way better, a bit unfair at times yes, but it was fun! I mean, mainly the point is that we need to bring people here, and really advertise the heck out of this place. Those who do YouTube, can advertise there. You can make an "Advertising" team (should be staff ranked, so it will give people motivation to do that) made here dedicated for just that if you have to!

I feel like we have given up, so start advertising, and you will see that the activity will grow a bit more. Of course in other forums, make banners like the old days with "Join Duel Academy" with a hyperlink attached. Or add them to your profiles in other forums. Of course make sure they allow advertising in your signatures on those forums.

descriptionMy Input on Getting Activity Going. EmptyRe: My Input on Getting Activity Going.

more_horiz
Sound right to me, but we should start by having tournaments at least or making the chat aviable again at minimum lol

descriptionMy Input on Getting Activity Going. EmptyRe: My Input on Getting Activity Going.

more_horiz
I agree drunkion. That should be an advertisement tactic. Example you beat a random in lobby and ask them "do you like tournaments?, well we host a lot here! Join us"

more_horiz
idk, I remember anzo saying something like dont ad but now its not the time b saying that I guess?

anyways, probably shud leave this to ppl who duel to decide

more_horiz
the status update system on DB, puts the messages on the home page for everyone to see. if we had like 3 people be like "hey join this academy [insert link] to take part of some tournaments and different types of dueling events" we'd gain more members that actually duel.

more_horiz
Sorry book, barely understood what you typed? And STX that sounds like a good idea. Someone should make cool signatures so we can use in other forums to rep DA

more_horiz
So basically we need a dedicated advertiser, to our discord as well might i add, since we mostly stay there. K sounds good to me, who is up to spam this shit on DB?

more_horiz
Crimson, not exactly one dedicated advertiser. Everyone should be advertising and helping the academy if they care to help or gain points to rank up. Even staff, members, or people assigned to advertise should be advertising it. But yeah you can make a group that their sole job will be to advertise and bring people in. I mean, we can advertise our Discord as well, but that should be somewhere in big letters or in bold around the forum so when new members come to the forum the first thing they see is our Discord and point system.

Last edited by kyosuke kiryu on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
Here are my thoughts on everything:

1. Advertise: We should to an extent be advertising. Truly the only online academy that has survived through everything, this shouldn't be a difficult task, and neither should it be overbearing, just basic to capture the attention of those who may want to join.
2. Testing: Yea that's right I said it. Remove auto-slifer, bring back placement exams comprised of both a duel and rulings exam. Both test one's knowledge and ability to use it during a match. IMO, placement exams entice potential members to put up or shut up from the gate, and I honestly don't know of any individual who competitively duels that isn't ready for the task
3. Teaching: Oops, I did it again. Honestly, how many Obelisks can quote rulings as if they regard them like a holy scripture? Just how much of an education are we providing our members? I understand how it is now, but at the same time its so damn stale its annoying. A duel provides nothing except a winner and loser, but truly understanding the loss or mistakes made, learning from them is what creates success. Let's admit it, most of you simply don't have the capacity to teach yourself and do require assistance in doing so - lets provide that to those who wish to truly learn the game.
4. Rank Structure: Honestly, it needs an overhaul. Rank used to mean something. Slifer is beginner, ra intermediate, obelisk advanced, and before its deactivation ABD was expert. And for those of us who don't really care to be in a specific dorm regardless of skill level, thats completely fine too, do you fam and whatever makes you happy, but let's not rain on those who wish to strive to reach certain levels here in DA. If both 2 & 3 are done you'll see all of this began to take shape, and a level of competition with one another rise yet again.
5. Circuit: I for one am for the circuit, as I believe it wholeheartedly is the one thing today that promotes dueling. It just has to stay updated! Enforce the rules DA set in the circuit to promote dueling - if your ELO rises to that of Ra when you are Slifer, you've completed a prerequisite to promotion, and if it drops below what is required of a Ra member, demote his/her ass! You all should be taking pride in the dorm you are in and ensuring to remain there or advance. OFC obviously slifer slackers can just rock it out there with honestly no repercussion, but I don't think most would stick to their guns once members start advancing.

Honestly, I can go on for days. I've been staff, I've been up and down through the ranks. I've experienced alot of what DA has offered, seen many come and go. You can call what I've presented being nostalgic, but this is what made me join and kept me highly active for years. Staff was extremely active in everything, and I can promise you many led busy lives but remained committed to the task, and when they couldn't, it was made known and steps were taken to handle whatever needed to be handled. The worst that can happen is within 3 months you could deem all of these things pointless again and demolish them once again. Thats my spill on this, you won't hear from me for at least another year on things in DA

more_horiz
Well said Nova. I agree with everything you said, that reminds me, if you bring back testing, the ruling test should not be like like 10 questions or whatever, 3 questions and a match (duel) should suffice, because the test shouldn't take a long time, since it's going to be more work on testers and staff to rank. Our Staff has to be willing to be active, and do more than what they have been doing, if you aren't willing to make this place prosper, then I am sorry you shouldn't be staff. Not trying to be rude or anything, and don't take it as me saying that staff should be on this forum 24/7, but be willing to be committed to advertise, bring ideas to the table, be up to date with every section of this forum from the Introduction section to Off topic section, to updating points, to updating awards ect.

more_horiz
Double posting to show ya'll an example of how simple it is to advertise. Look at the chat to see how you can approach someone. Now, I was beating him so I told him that we have better duelists here. Unfortunately, the game lagged and kicked me out, I did give him our link, so hopefully he joins, but regardless, I will try to look for him on DB again to remind him lmao.

My Input on Getting Activity Going. 2017-016

more_horiz
Also making Duel Links relevent here and doing tournaments with it could help raise activity, adding interest for people that dont like the state that the actual game is currently in

more_horiz
While I don't play duel links myself neither, I don't think adding a section dedicated to it would hurt at al! I second your idea. I feel like as an academy we should test many suggestions out and of course if they work keep them, if not delete them! I don't see why the duel links idea that you mention can't be implemented then again that's up to the staff.

more_horiz
Yeab cuz I mean, does another Duel Links academy exist out there yet? If we made Duel Links a significant part of DA, then we'd gradually bring in Duel Links players looking for a community to join, and they'd see how unique we are compared to simple forums that only have guides and decklists, not actual battle arenas and tournaments like us.

more_horiz
See now, we ain't gonna get far because one thing is a fact. Our chat is dead. We barely use it and while discord is obviously the far superior platform for communication, I can tell you for a fact that all the advertising won't be enough as a lot of members will quickly lose interest due to the lack of activity in the chat or they don't want to get discord. 

Now the solution to this for me could be this. We either try and still chill in our chat, while using discord as a more personal group when we chill off time or we completely remove the forum chat and try and get a widget that can give access to our discord channel directly from the forum, like I've seen in some other sites. Unfortunately I don't know how to do that or wether it's possible for Anzo or the other members of the staff team. 

Now advertisement is good and the ideas y'all put out have been know to work in the past. But for me before anything we should wait 'till Dueling Book gets to its full capacity and is actually stable. Then it wouldn't be a problem for any of us to advertise after the end of a friendly duel or do the things that Staxx said. I for myself still haven't accessed DB as my interest in dueling did severally died out over the past month and a half but I'm sure that if it reaches the hights of Dueling Network in terms of activity (which it probably will), I'm sure that many members will want to come here and chill.

more_horiz
I see a lot of suggestions here, and all of them are greatly appreciated :'). As I can summarize, you guys want something new. I can tell you that we'll dedicate ourselves in incorporating those new ideas along with some of ours to make DA a great dueling place once again. I cannot tell what suggestions will be actually realized, but all of them will be taken into the consideration. There are some promising things that are coming!

more_horiz
Pepchoninga wrote:
See now, we ain't gonna get far because one thing is a fact. Our chat is dead. We barely use it and while discord is obviously the far superior platform for communication, I can tell you for a fact that all the advertising won't be enough as a lot of members will quickly lose interest due to the lack of activity in the chat or they don't want to get discord. 

Now the solution to this for me could be this. We either try and still chill in our chat, while using discord as a more personal group when we chill off time or we completely remove the forum chat and try and get a widget that can give access to our discord channel directly from the forum, like I've seen in some other sites. Unfortunately I don't know how to do that or wether it's possible for Anzo or the other members of the staff team. 

Now advertisement is good and the ideas y'all put out have been know to work in the past. But for me before anything we should wait 'till Dueling Book gets to its full capacity and is actually stable. Then it wouldn't be a problem for any of us to advertise after the end of a friendly duel or do the things that Staxx said. I for myself still haven't accessed DB as my interest in dueling did severally died out over the past month and a half but I'm sure that if it reaches the hights of Dueling Network in terms of activity (which it probably will), I'm sure that many members will want to come here and chill.

Easy way to fix the chat thing is to simply have a big, flashy link to the discord chat on the top of the website. Also, the regular chat here doesnt even show up for me anymore x.x did some asshat ban me?

more_horiz
No, there are some problems with DA's chatbox (there always have been though My Input on Getting Activity Going. 3974120512 ). Mini CB appears for some and doesn't for some.

more_horiz
Well again, I can tell you for a fact that not everybody would want to get discord and shit. People want to be able to browse the forum and chat at the same time. Myself included. 

And well idk, I heard that the forum chat had some problems but I'm still able to access it.

more_horiz
Pepchoninga wrote:
Well again, I can tell you for a fact that not everybody would want to get discord and shit. People want to be able to browse the forum and chat at the same time. Myself included. 

And well idk, I heard that the forum chat had some problems but I'm still able to access it.

Maybe we can be like WDA then and get a Chatango thats on the side of the webpage?

more_horiz
Pepchoninga wrote:

Discord is browser based. Wth are you on about

more_horiz
the DA chat has been dead for a while. Every time you'd log on it'd be the same people talking about duel links or DJL(thank god that's dead.)

more_horiz
I like Linda Senpai idea about including the discord on the website with flashy links or somewhere easily visible for new members.

more_horiz
CrimsonOverlord wrote:
Pepchoninga wrote:

Discord is browser based. Wth are you on about

Well you can install it too. But it's the same peoblem imo. It would be nice if we could actually get the discord channel on our forum. I've seen it done on other sites.

more_horiz
Pep, you are right it can be done, but we need an Admin to do it, and do it if we want to bring people in fast!

EDIT: Anyways, which one of ya'll can make a cool signature that advertises DA very well and professional. With the link attached once you click on the signature to direct them here?

more_horiz
Well @Lux talk with @Anzo on working the discord thing up since having just a dead chat on here and a shit ton of advertisements for the discord chat would be rather pointless.

And well, I'm a very average GFXer and I belive that the best person to make a good signature would be Anzo. We can all advertise with it. Hopefully he shows up.

more_horiz
Anzo is gonna do it (the discord chat)

more_horiz
Okay, who is making signatures, or bars to advertise? I doubt Anzo will do it. If you want pep, give us a good example on how your signatures would look like, and present it to us, since I doubt anyone else is willing to do it. If anyone has a problem with it, they can make a better one if not we can use what we got for the time being without complaints.

more_horiz
Well, I can try and make something, but again I'm not nearly as good as some of the other relatively active members of the academy. Still, I'll try and cook something during the weekend.

more_horiz
are there other active yugioh forums?

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply