Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

POLL ON A NEW RANK UP SYSTEM FOR DA [ALL MEMBERS VOTE PLEASE ASAP]

power_settings_newLogin to reply
+21
PowerNova
Heatnix
Anzo
Hoshi(no)Tama777
TDS
Kaito
Order of Chaos
BlackLeg-Sanji
BlackWarGreymon
LòKóS
Jin Kazama
Typical Jew™
Zane Truesdale
Centrik
! High Dutchman Gianus
Alikaey
faervel
DefinitelyNotXrai
Gremlin
Linda-Senpai
Amy Kool
25 posters

pollWhich rank up system you want to have in DA?

Old (exams and points gathering)
24%
New (all things we said below)
76%
Total Votes:

descriptionPOLL ON A NEW RANK UP SYSTEM FOR DA [ALL MEMBERS VOTE PLEASE ASAP] - Page 2 EmptyPOLL ON A NEW RANK UP SYSTEM FOR DA [ALL MEMBERS VOTE PLEASE ASAP]

more_horiz
First topic message reminder :

Duel Academy: Generations

Duel Academy: Generations is the codename of the new installment of DA, something like Kitkat name for Android OS lol.

DA is 5 years old now. Things change rapidly nowadays and so does YGO. We think that current dorm system leads us nowhere anymore. We admit, we complicated things too much there lol. However we have a new plan. We want you to read our new system and tell us if you support it or not, aka vote on it. If you dislike some parts of it, mention it, for example those names for schools or the tournament ideas etc, just don't quit on system immediately but tell us what exactly you don't like in it. However, we worked a lot on this and we believe that such system should bring us more fun, more competitions and be better for DA. We want to give our old members the fun back, as well as please our new members who know almost nothing about old times and academies as we know it lol.

The Story.
Duel Academy was the most successful dueling school for a long time. It expanded a lot since its foundation and the island grew from an uninhabited place to the center of the dueling education. Duelists around the world dream to be part of that academy and become best of the best. Out of sudden, an event occurred that has shaken the world and opened the doors of a new era for Duel Academy. Namely, Seto Kaiba, the leader of Kaiba Corporation and founder of the world's most prestigious dueling school, decided to screw the rules again and open Duel Academy for shares. Eventually, the company shares were split between several organizations: Society of Light (lead by Sartorious [GX]), Heartland Inc. (lead by Dr. Faker [ZEXAL]), Yiliaster (lead by Rex Goodwin [5Ds]) and finally Industrial Illusions (lead by Maximillion Pegasus [DM]). Kaiba himself remained the boss with 51% of the shares in his possession, still enough to have the final word again. Kaiba made a deal with his new partners to let them open their own schools under Duel Academy, but following the main educational principles of the academy of course. Eventually, Duel Academy was reformed and ready for the new adventures. No one knows why Kaiba did what he did, but he is Seto Kaiba after all, he can do that sort of thing for whatever reason.

The Academy System.
After the reform and going out on the shares market, Duel Academy system looks like this:
- 4 Schools under the Academy: Millennium School (DM), Elemental School (GX), Turbo Dueling School (5Ds) and Numbers School (Zexal) (names can always be discussed)
- Dueling Skills are composed of 4 levels like now, to keep the tradition: Slifer Red, Ra Yellow, Obelisk Blue and Abandoned Dark levels.
- There will be "story" competitions to support this school theme. Those competitions will be main events for ranking up in dueling skill level. 4 Tournaments. Each one organized by different school. Each school will have its own "touch" to the tournament rules. Namely, each tournament will feature one rule for specific card of the era which the school belongs to and members of that school will have benefit of using that rule in the tournament. So, for each tournament, school that is organizing it can use that rule and have "advantage" as host. For example, in 1st Millennium School Tournament, all members of that school can use Cyber Jar to Limited status on banlist. 2nd Millennium School Tournament can have different rule later. Zexal School Tournament can for example have Chaos Master unlimited from banlist for the tournament. This will create a nice touch to the competition and advertise the schools and the eras that they belong to. Here the clash of the generations comes to the surface and all the players that prefer their own eras will have entertainment to abuse their strong card options in those tournaments to show the rest that their era is the best POLL ON A NEW RANK UP SYSTEM FOR DA [ALL MEMBERS VOTE PLEASE ASAP] - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
- Last tournament is held in Academy headquarters featuring rules for each school together. This means in this last tournament each school will have their own "rule" to abuse.
- Rank ups will be given from Slifer to Abandoned in all of these tourneys.
- The ones that win the final tournament in Academy Headquarters TWICE, they get the Black Rank and are treated as graduates of academy. Black Rank is the last one, the best of the best in academy. (the rank name itself can be discussed ofc).
- Other than these "story" events, regular tournaments and pro decklists will have also rank ups. No exams for rank ups will be offered anymore. We will try to make these "story" events fast and entertaining. They won't take long as normal tournaments because their rules will be more like "deathmatch" games where in 1st round they play "win x matches" to get to 2nd round, something like battle city. the 1st 4 to get so many wins until the deadline will be in semi-finals which go in standard way. By that we will have always on going activity. But, this can be discussed ofc.

Conversion Process
- Conversion from old to new system is simple: Current dorm ranks are new skill ranks and those groups are hidden, so that it only shows as rank in profile. The new groups are formed which indicate the schools and members will have colors based on their schools.
- For the current members, school groups will be open for application until all active members get into a school. We will try to limit the applications in such way to distribute almost equal number of members in each school. Our aim is not to have equal number of members, but we just want to escape the part "no one wants to GX school" thing or so.
- Inactive members will be left without school. If they get active, they can always apply.
- New members will be placed in schools they like, if applications are open. (sometimes we might close one school for new applications due to overloaded number of members to balance them out)

As you can see, now we still got the old style ranks for dueling skills, we got new thing, sort of "teams" like schools where you choose what you prefer more, and we got new setup for rank up tournaments to support the story, be fast and not tolerating inactivity of some members so that others can rank up faster and easier. Also ranking up to the best rank (former Abandoned and new Black Rank) is now much easier. right now way to abandoned is YCS (which is no more lol) and unwritten rule to retire as admin LOL, lame as hell. With new system you have opportunity to win 2 times the Final "story" tournament which will be hosted A LOT so yeah. If you are good duelist you can do this, it is possible and worth the effort. Also don't worry if you get bored in one school and want to go to other, that is why we got Items Shop where we will make new School Transfer Item and if you are rich biatch you can do that sort of thing LOL. We believe that with this DA will be much joyful place for you and for us. We as staff also need to see happy members to give us motivation to work more :D

Last edited by Amy Kool on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:27 am; edited 1 time in total

descriptionPOLL ON A NEW RANK UP SYSTEM FOR DA [ALL MEMBERS VOTE PLEASE ASAP] - Page 2 EmptyRe: POLL ON A NEW RANK UP SYSTEM FOR DA [ALL MEMBERS VOTE PLEASE ASAP]

more_horiz
Right, so, I see there's some questions here and there and some people haven't been reading the chunk of text that describes it. I'll try to summarize it for those who are still unsure:

-New dorms with new names (selected by the community, likely). All equal, striving to be the best dorm which means they're competing against each other for benefits.

-To select new dorms, there will be events and some "story" based competitions. You can change dorms in different ways later on.

Note: The conversion process listed there is a rough version. Essentially, if we kept it *this* way (as listed above) nothing would really change.

-Ranking up still exists within the dorm. Think of it (this is an example) being part of the "Holy Knights", and you begin as a squire, move to Knight and end up a Paladin. This is a simple example. Ranks can be obtained by doing things around the board, winning competitions and whatnot.

-Equality among dorms ensues more events, more competition and more tournaments both within and against dorms.

This is all still in progress. Things have to be tweaked and your feedback is appreciated. I see Sanji's and others concern with the "pro dorm". These issues will be looked at and tweaked to fully represent the "best of the best" in one, final dorm. Nothing here is final, so any feedback you all can give would be greatly appreciated.

descriptionPOLL ON A NEW RANK UP SYSTEM FOR DA [ALL MEMBERS VOTE PLEASE ASAP] - Page 2 EmptyRe: POLL ON A NEW RANK UP SYSTEM FOR DA [ALL MEMBERS VOTE PLEASE ASAP]

more_horiz
I just cant picture this working. What if one school has way more people than the rest? And this new rank that makes you the best of the best sounds so much easier to get than ABD, which is supposed to be the best of the class

more_horiz
that's the point N that gives ppl a reason to dorm up since they actually can reach it and it won't be like "yeah why would i want to dorm-up when the only good dorm is ABD that i can reach even from slifer if i do good"
and also it won't be like now(staff=ABD)

more_horiz
Like I said, all of these are work in progress. The way to control the flow of members into dorms is not a big deal, actually. It can be tweaked to make it as even as possible.

Also, like Faervel said, ranking up the last dorm will take effort. It sounds easy right now, but all in all we will make it available only to those who put the time to get it. Also, Faervel, to clear it out, staff don't become ABD, they have their ranks. The only staff that becomes ABD are Admins after they leave their position. Hell, I'm still a Ra!

more_horiz
After thinking, clearing, and revising all posts in this topic, I'd like to give the new system a shot, since Amy believes it's the right change, then i'll support the change. I'd like to change my vote to the new system instead of the current one.

more_horiz
New system sounds interesting. I can't say I'm for this or that, since imma do me regardless, and do what needs to be done of me if anything.

It may just be time for that change, regardless of the "what if" factor. Amy's bout profit - she won't suggest something non-profitable that could ruin what she's come to call her own.

more_horiz
Tomoko Kuroki wrote:
I just cant picture this working. What if one school has way more people than the rest? And this new rank that makes you the best of the best sounds so much easier to get than ABD, which is supposed to be the best of the class

Amy Kool wrote:
- New members will be placed in schools they like, if applications are open. (sometimes we might close one school for new applications due to overloaded number of members to balance them out)

Have you read it all?

more_horiz
I'm against anything that alters Yu-Gi-Oh Gameplay (Like "host advantage"), saying no to the new system..

more_horiz
Get me out of red. Please.

I like the ideas in the new method.

more_horiz
New.

more_horiz
Skitnica wrote:
I'm against anything that alters Yu-Gi-Oh Gameplay (Like "host advantage"), saying no to the new system..

We know host advantage is an issue. You're not the only one to bring it up, trust me on that. Again, we're working on this to bring benefits to some dorms depending on their position within our board. Things will be tweaked and fixed and we'll make sure to balance all dorms in power and benefits. Somehow =p

more_horiz
The admins already replied to all the issues since my last visit, thanks for that Smile

I just want to add one thing to all of it, I see there is a talk that its my idea and it has to work lol. I'm just presenting the work of all admins, we discussed it days for days painfully lol. So I just want you to know that, I mean I like to point out my name in my ideas but this one is really the work of all admins together and I want you to remember that pls ^^

Anyway, this is the core presentation of the idea, we want to see your thoughts before we go in high details of realization for each single thing like the question of best rank and what we want for it, the names of some things, the tournaments and "unbalanced" host events, all that we will take care of to be as you find it most fun to be for you Wink

Right now, we just want you to image this new idea: all dorms/schools are equal which raise more "between dorms" competition in DA, DA gets centered around fight between its schools rather than just being level ranks where one dorm is 90% of active people and others are better and they just chill and are bored lol (it is the thing going on right now). While we equalized schools and made people join all of them in a balanced way, we get immediately all schools/dorms active and we got rid of the problem of just one dorm being active as now. On the other hand, we still want to rank people by their skill somehow, so we count that completely on its own regardless of the school you are in, you still have your own skill rank that represents your dueling skill, you carry that with you and you belong to school you want to belong to for the competitions.

Note that only inactive people will remain without school, but once member gets into 24 last hours, we will force them to get a school or we will put them in one that needs more members. So, technically all active people will have a school.

more_horiz
I dislike the fact the I am currently "the best" but in the new system I wont be sounds lame and its like I wasted my time trying to get to abd in the first place

more_horiz
@Amy: Yes, implementing this system will means all schools/dorms will be equal, but for how long? Eventually - the way i understand it - one of the schools/dorms will raise above the others, and eventually will be ranked as a school/dorm better than the others. It'll not be equal for long time.

more_horiz
we can always play there, make some occasional "storylines" where students get transferred to another school lol. i mean possibilities are high there :D

more_horiz
Yea I like that, kinda like "Exiled has beaten everyone at *insert school here* so he needs a transfer to not be bored"

more_horiz
Possibilities like that open up, Exiled.

For example, with dorms being equal, we can have inner dorm leagues. You can become the best of one dorm, but other dorms will have their best duelists too. What do you want to do then? defeat them to protect the name of your dormitory? or go one step further, and closer to a personal level and dethrone them from the inside? =p

more_horiz
Want to make this fun ? Demote everybody to slifer :> .

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply