Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

descriptionCards like Mystical Space Typhoon or Dust Tornado EmptyCards like Mystical Space Typhoon or Dust Tornado

more_horiz
Ok, so one of the ideas that I'm still the least knowledgeable about/good at in this game is the concept of chaining spells and traps. I understand that when one player activates a spell or trap, the other player can chain a trap or quick-play spell to stop it, then the first player can activate something and so on until no one has anything left to play. Then the chain works backwards. But from what I understand if you activate a card like MST or Dust Tornado on a card that's already been activated, then it would just destroy the spell/trap but the effect would still work because it destroys it but not negates it (Like, for example, Solemn Judgement would). Is this correct?

I ask, because, since the chain works backwards, it makes sense that if you destroy something earlier in the chain, it would be un-usable since it's, well, destroyed. However my friends have told me otherwise (and they've been playing much longer than I have) so I just figured I'd ask clarification here.

descriptionCards like Mystical Space Typhoon or Dust Tornado EmptyRe: Cards like Mystical Space Typhoon or Dust Tornado

more_horiz
You're correct here. If your opponents activates a card like Mind Control and you chain it with MST, then MST would destroy the card but Mind Control's effect would still go on to activate because it's effect was not "negated" (key word).
And yes, Solemn Judgement would stop the effect because it says it "negates" the activation/summon.

Also in chains, you need to consider the spell speeds (ss). You can't chain onto a Counter Trap with a Normal trap. Counter Trap being ss3 and Normal being ss1.

Last edited by sakuraseason on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total

descriptionCards like Mystical Space Typhoon or Dust Tornado EmptyRe: Cards like Mystical Space Typhoon or Dust Tornado

more_horiz
The only time MST negates the effect of a spell is when that said spell is a field spell. MST does not negate, it destroys lol

more_horiz
Plague Rose wrote:
The only time MST negates the effect of a spell is when that said spell is a field spell.
No. MST NEVER negates. In that case, MST removes the field spell from the field, removing the effects that the field spell had.

more_horiz
Don Whitehorse wrote:
Plague Rose wrote:
The only time MST negates the effect of a spell is when that said spell is a field spell.
No. MST NEVER negates. In that case, MST removes the field spell from the field, removing the effects that the field spell had.

I would actually say that the field spell would be destroyed before it's effect could take place. Similar to chaining to the activation of Call of the Haunted.

But you are correct. MST does not "negate" at all what-so-ever.

Cards such as Mystical Space Typhoon and Dust Tornado can destroy the spell/trap card upon activation, but the destruction of the card does not stop the effect from taking place.
ex- Dark Hole, you can chain Mystical Space Typhoon to it and target Dark Hole. Chain resolves backwards, causing Dark Hole to be destroyed, then the effect of Dark Hole destroys all monsters on the field.
ex2- Opponent activates a Field Spell, Skyscraper 2- Hero City. Upon the activation of the card, you may chain MST. The chain resolves backwards, MST destroys the Field Spell before the effect of the Field Spell could be used.

more_horiz
Everything Eheroduelist said above is correct.

Just 1 exception to the rule: continuous spell/trap cards.

These cards cannot receive their effects unless they are still face-up on the field, so chaining to the activation of 1 with MST does result in that card not gaining its effect. The obvious case for this is Call of the Haunted.

Chain:

1. Call of the Haunted activated and target declared
2. MST chained to activation
3. MST resolves, destroying CotH
4. CotH does not resolve because it is no longer on the field.

more_horiz
Ok, thanks for the confirmation :3 That's how I had believed it to be, but I wasn't sure. I should probably study spell speeds, since I have no clue what those are XD;;

more_horiz
I said negates so he would understand but okay lol If you chain MST to anything it's pretty much a card by card ruling basis of how it'll turn out. I mean if you chain MST to Future Fusion you can't send the cards to grave, it's one of those things you learn lol of course this info is by the Horrid admins of DN so yeah not 100% on that.

more_horiz
Plague: Future Fusion is a Continuous Spell, so it falls under the exception category I posted above.

more_horiz
In case no one picked up on that, a normal trap is spell speed -two-, not spell speed one. In addition, spell speed one magic cards cannot be chained to one another normally.
Yugioh Wikia wrote:
Effects activate based on the following order:

1. Turn Player's Mandatory Effects
  2. Non-Turn Player's Mandatory Effects
  3. Turn Player's Optional Effects
  4. Non-Turn Player's Optional Effects

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/SEGOC is a good place to go if you're interested in learning all about chains with spell speed one. It's also the place to read about some differences in OCG and TCG.

more_horiz
^ Ok thanks for the link :3 I'll go read that XD

EDIT: Ok so after reading that article, the question that comes to mind is: So if it's your turn and you use something like heavy storm then you're able to chain normal spell cards that you have face down being destroyed to it? That's cool if true

more_horiz
Stop me somebody if im wrong.

Normal spell cards cannot be chained to another normal spell cards so if you activate heavy storm and you have set monster reborn you cant use it. But you can chain quick play spells to normal spells. Like: You activate heavy storm and you have set shrink. You can chain it to your heavy storm and target any face up monster card on field. But if you set that quck play spell in the same turn when you activated heavy you cant use it. I know this how i explained this is a little bit messy but i hope you will get it what i wrote :D

more_horiz
^Correct, you cannot chain Normal Spell cards to another Normal Spell card because they have a Spell Speed of 1 and cards that have a Spell Speed of 1 cannot be chained to anything. And yes if you set the Quickplay Spell card that turn you cannot use it in the same turn you set it.

more_horiz
Answered/Locked

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply