Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

Pot of avarice > Pot of greed

power_settings_newLogin to reply
+11
Johan
RebornShadow
darkness evil
Potus Mat
Dex
Eheroduelist
Smokey
Exiled
Harbinger
Train
LethalAfterBan
15 posters

descriptionPot of avarice > Pot of greed EmptyPot of avarice > Pot of greed

more_horiz
Am seriously getting tired of this spell card named Pot of Avarice. Hopefully this ridiculous card gets banned.

descriptionPot of avarice > Pot of greed EmptyRe: Pot of avarice > Pot of greed

more_horiz
its depends on the dek really, or you are on a veryu vbad sitiuation, pot of avarice is really situaional while pot of greed was banned by splashability

more_horiz
PoA first turn = dead card

PoG first turn = +2

.-.

more_horiz
Staxx wrote:
PoA first turn = dead card

PoG first turn = +2

.-.

*+1

use 1 card (-1) to get two cards (+2)

-1+2=1

more_horiz
Well late game it becomes Pot of Greed and for decks like Plants it can become live turn 1 so, I would agree it should be banned.

more_horiz
imagine pot of greed coming backkkk sexy for anydeck

more_horiz
Yea! Then lets unban CED

more_horiz
thats cool but make sure to go first turn big
cuz when i go plus pod of greed verz ophion will be out on the field

more_horiz
PoG is only banned because of a lack of cost
Personally never seen a problem with the card,
I hate PoA because DN sacks me with it at the most horribad of times

more_horiz
Honestly, I've never had a bad experience with Avarice...

more_horiz
Then you have been lucky, also @ Ehero, Pot of Greed is banned because it is the greatest +1 in the game, generating instant advantage is not healthy for the game, it should never come off the list.

more_horiz
Pot Of Greed is the draw card to which all draw cards aspire to be. Allure, D-Draw, Avarice; they are all cheap imitations of that devilish green pot.

more_horiz
Pot of greed is the perfect top deck, no matter the situation, its always good to top pot of greed

more_horiz
it's just a +1 imo

I mean EVERY character up until 5D's used it at some point Razz

also, if everyone uses it, it's not a disadvantage then huh? :3

more_horiz
Do you seriously not see the drawbacks? It can give someone a chance that's topdecking with negative advantage to win with 1 draw.

more_horiz
not really
I don't see enough + over - to see it being super op

It's a fast +1

I mean, its not like Cards of the doomed + Emergency Provisions (or whatever that card combo that Jaden used 1st Season GX to spamdraw)

It's just a +1, may be a game changer but it's still only 2 cards, and only a +1 advantage

As for the quality of said cards is entirely dependant on the deck/How lucky the dude who is using it is

imho it doesn't create enough of an advantage/disadvantage to be banned
it's just draw power. Pure awesome draw power, but draw power all the same

I honestly never saw the big deal about PoG

Graceful Charity/Magician of Faith/other crap like that I get
But PoG doesn't nuke, it doesn't destroy, it doesn't refresh deck, doesn't activate DW effects, etc; it just draws, and how many times do we draw OP cards with PoG?
ik I don't, I just draw support stuff when I used it

more_horiz
Pot of avarice > Pot of greed Facepalm-lion-facepalm-demotivational-poster-1240941693

more_horiz
Whaaaat?!?
My comment wasn't bad >_>

Imo there's nothing wrong with a quick +1 every once in a while, hands need the boost sometimes,
not everything can or should have to balance out :I
or worse be in negatives, if that were the case everyone would run mallet in place of Greed

I'm not seeing the HUGE reason why a quick +1 is a huge concern,

obviously it is important enough to have everyone moaning and whining when I mention anything close to the possibility of PoG coming back ever

more_horiz
Actually your comment was that bad. Your opinion is badly structured, you contradict yourself various times and represent the ignorance of players in the game today regarding but not limited to, "why x card is better than y card". the term "broken" and whats good for the game in general all in those posts.

Its possible for any card to come back that is obvious, but it doesn't mean it should

A free +1 is bad for the game in general no matter how you slice it

more_horiz
Well I am posting at 5AM running on no sleep, so pardon my opinion being not-so-top-notchly structured, and be happy I can formulate a sentence grammatically correctly xD

In any case, here's where I stand atm:
I don't see how a quick +1 is going to bring the end of the world of YGO.

If it comes back, hooray, but the game's not going to be a devastating black hole of permanent nothingness from what I can tell. If it doesn't, meh, there will be just as good topdecks and 10+ other cards/card combos that make for as many draws, if not more, that people think is fair.

example- The ever-so-famous "Maxx C" that gives you 1 draw per opponent Special Summon. If you catch your opponent in a spam summon, you can draw two (/however many SSs the person makes) for the price of one.

A nice little explanation for why "a free +1 is bad for the game in general no matter how you slice it" would suffice

more_horiz
Maxx "C" is a horrible comparison. It doesnt negate anything. It isnt an instant +1. Various people still dont understand how to play it the right way in which how to get a +1 off of it, rather than just wasting it as a one for one where your opponent still has control.

Mind you, the latter is sometimes appropriate when you'd be put into a position where you cant come back or would lose otherwise. Not to mention its good for the game, in a format where there are so many boss monsters, where its easy to both establish and lose control. As well as putting your opponent into a position where they can stop or keep going.

There are times when none of this will matter especially if all of your outs are already gone. The card makes you think, it puts more thought into what you are going to do.,

Pot of greed is an instant +1 that adds more of the luck factor in the game than it needs to be. The game is already so forgone and your making it worse with bad reasoning. If it does come back, of course the game isnt over, but you are doing more harm than good by like i said bringing more luck factor into the game. I shouldn't have to explain why Pot of Greed is bad for the game.

more_horiz
RebornShadow wrote:
Maxx "C" is a horrible comparison. It doesnt negate anything. It isnt an instant +1. Various people still dont understand how to play it the right way in which how to get a +1 off of it, rather than just wasting it as a one for one where your opponent still has control. .

1-I didn't say anything about negating, I was talking about draw power, and if played correctly Maxx C can still turn into a +1 or more based upon how many cards your opponent is either willing to or forced to let you draw (forced meaning you chained to polymerization or something along those lines)
2-It isn't instant, yet you get draws repetitively over the course of a move. Justsayin

RebornShadow wrote:

Mind you, the latter is sometimes appropriate when you'd be put into a position where you cant come back. Not to mention its good for the game, in a format where there are so many boss monsters and such where you put your opponent into a position where they can stop or keep going.

There are times when none of this will matter especially if all of your outs are already gone. The card makes you think, it puts more thought into what you are going to do.,

I'm not seeing the lack of strategy it takes to pull up an awesome move with only one draw, drawing PoG, getting 2, making amazing move and pulling off win. (Pretty much how main characters did it in Classic YGO-GX)

RebornShadow wrote:

Pot of greed is an instant +1 that adds more of the luck factor in the game than it needs to be. The game is already so forgone and your making it worse with bad reasoning. If it does come back, of course the game isnt over, but you are doing more harm than good by like i said bringing more luck factor into the game. I shouldn't have to explain why Pot of Greed is bad for the game.

Explanation:
1. Tossing out luck in a game where it's supposed to be a combination of luck/skill to win. Justsayin.
1a)There's always Shard of Greed, same # of draws, more protection involved sure, but luck plays into it the same or at least similar degree, wheres the ban/raging army of people for that?
2. Game's "So forgone", yet you're complaining about a +1 rather than a superior source of chaos in the game? Justsayin.
3. I'm ignorant of the evils of a quick +1 apparently, a reasonable explantion would convince me of this "superior truth" that "Pot of Greed is bad for the game."

more_horiz
I stopped reading when you tried comparing things to the anime to serve as justification. Exiled had it right with the facepalm. What you fail grasp is the format as a whole and the dangers certain things pose to the game. Just because there are various problem cards, doesnt mean one doesnt pose as much as problem as the next.

more_horiz
RebornShadow wrote:
I stopped reading when you tried comparing things to the anime to serve as justification. Exiled had it right with the facepalm.

The anime was an example of circumstance, not the entirety of my argument.
and all I was asking for the entirety of this time was a decent explanation, or an attempt at it, as to why PoG would further ruin the game.

RebornShadow wrote:

What you fail to grasp is the format as a whole and the dangers certain things pose to the game.

Right, and v this give explantion to person like ^ that how?
RebornShadow wrote:

Just because there are various problem cards, doesnt mean one doesnt pose as much as problem as the next.

I'm not understanding how "various problem cards" and that "one doesnt pose as much as a problem as the next." has to do with the Pot of Greed being a +1 and the aforementioned Pot of Greed turning into a serious dilemma for the entirety of the game.

You trying to say that being beaten down and needing the draw power doesn't call for the right to have the card to do so as best/quickly as possible accessible to you, or am I misinterpreting your statement?

more_horiz
The point is Pot of greed isnt good for the game lol. Seriously how many times must that be addressed. You add even more luck factor into the game, something it does not need. You add more free power cards into the game, once again something it does not need. The card should not coming back. I dont know how to make it any more clearer than that.

more_horiz
Well the last sentence in your last post was fairly vague, and you're putting out statements you've not only repeated, but not addressing the how the additional luck factor plays into the ruining of the game.

Basically, I was asking for the What? How? Why?

You've got What (fairly obvious, it's the subject matter),

You've repeated the How,

I was asking Why? Why is the luck factor bad?

I'm assuming that this is your answer to that end:
"You add more free power cards into the game"
and isn't that the point of a comeback? Also, it's not a massive draw-power machine that lets you draw out your entire deck or something along those lines, it's two cards, two cards that it is statiscally just as possible to draw poorly timed cards as it is possible to draw very well timed cards.

more_horiz
Exiled108 wrote:
[img]facepalm-lion-facepalm-demotivational-poster-1240941693.jpg[/img]

more_horiz
Eheroduelist wrote:

(Pretty much how main characters did it in Classic YGO-GX)

Pot of avarice > Pot of greed Dafuq-is-this-*****-thumbPot of avarice > Pot of greed Dafuq

Eheroduelist wrote:

I was asking Why? Why is the luck factor bad?

I'm assuming that this is your answer to that end:
"You add more free power cards into the game"
and
isn't that the point of a comeback? Also, it's not a massive draw-power
machine that lets you draw out your entire deck or something along
those lines, it's two cards, two cards that it is statiscally just as
possible to draw poorly timed cards as it is possible to draw very well
timed cards.

OK, let me ask you this, why do you think everybody wants “Black Luster Soldier ̶ Envoy of the Beginning” gone? Of course, the usual answer would be is that it’s a very incredible card, but in the mid game, you can take care of it, you can “Solemn Warning” it, or “Torrential Tribute” it or anything to stop it. The reason why people want this card gone, aside from it being such an imbalanced card, is that it can be a game-turning card. Like, imagine this, you and your Opponent have started your top decking War and your opponent is the first to get lucky and draws “Tour Guide From the Underworld,” use its effect, Special Summon another copy of it or “Sangan,” or whatever Level 3 Fiend Monster you have in deck, overlay them and XYZ Summon “Number 17: Leviathan Dragon,” use its effect to boost its ATK to 2500, and attack you then end their turn, then you get even luckier and draw “Black Luster Soldier ̶ Envoy of the Beginning,” you just summon it, attack over their Monster, destroy it, then attack again for 3000. Here’s what’s gonna happen next turn. They’ll either draw a useless Monster or a Spell/Trap that could destroy “Black Luster Soldier ̶ Envoy of the Beginning,” while you draw something that makes them establish their advantage, or you’ll get even more luckier and luckier and draw your own version of “Black Luster Soldier ̶ Envoy of the Beginning.” It’s all about the luck factor here, the person who drew the more broken card eventually won the duel

Now, take that perspective as “Pot of Greed’s.” You’re basically playing a 39 cards Deck, the 40th card allows you to thin your deck and get 2 new cards for exchange of nothing, fits in any deck, is good on its own, can ALWAYS be played and can make your luck reach the top of a mountain. That +1 is just in numbers, but in fact, you just got 2 new cards to add to your hand that can improve your plays a lot, or not affect them at all. It’s also a game-changing card, you can draw it in a top decking war and most of the time, your opponent will give you the handshake. lol That +1 you think isn’t much is worth more than you think. I’m pretty sure I’d like the game to be more about skills than the luck factor, I wouldn’t enjoy owning a duel then suddenly, my opponent tops 1 card and change the table all around.

I can go on more and more about why “Pot of Greed” should never come back, but seriously, just stop asking why it should come back and start asking why it should stay gone, I’m pretty sure you’ll find billion more reasons for that question more than you’d ever find for the first question.

Last edited by Johan on Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
Stop the argument...
Damn.. massive paragraphs for a card..
POG would be nice to have unbanned and I would certainly play YGO again if it is.
That card brings back good memories along with it's always nice to have.
POA is not a problem at all. Never was for me.

more_horiz
Darkneji12 wrote:
Stop the argument...
Damn.. massive paragraphs for a card..
POG would be nice to have unbanned and I would certainly play YGO again if it is.
That card brings back good memories along with it's always nice to have.
POA is not a problem at all. Never was for me.

Oh God...

that facepalm Reborn quoted

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply