Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

descriptionThe Wicked Avatar EmptyThe Wicked Avatar

more_horiz
I'm just a bit confused about his effect. Here's the description, and pay attention to the highlighted line.

This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set except by Tributing 3 Monsters. Your opponent cannot activate Spell or Trap Cards until the end of their 2nd turn after this card is Normal Summoned. The ATK and DEF of this card are each 100 points higher than the highest face-up monster's ATK on the field (except "The Wicked Avatar").

Can the opponent chain a Quick-Play Spell or Trap Card in response to this summon? I understand Counter Traps, since they usually negate the summon.

And let's say one of the tributes is Hard-Armed Dragon, whose effect makes a level 7 or higher monster that used Hard-Armed Dragon as one of the tributes invulnerable to card effects that destroy. Can the opponent chain Bottomless Trap Hole, which destroys and banishes a summoned monster?

descriptionThe Wicked Avatar EmptyRe: The Wicked Avatar

more_horiz
You can't chain spells/traps to the summon itself (since summoning a monster doesn't start a chain), but when The Wicked Avatar is summoned, the effect to prevent Spell/Trap activation starts a chain, so you would be able to chain to that.

You can activate Bottomless in response to the summon, but since BTH destroys and then removes, it will only remove it, if it destroys it first. Since it can't destroy it, it also can't remove it.

more_horiz
^^ You cannot activate Bth trap hole anyways to the summon of The Wicked Avatar, or Jinzo for example. Bth, torrential and cards like that require the summon to be succesful and as Wicked Avaar doesn't let you activate a trap/spell, you cannot flip bottomless (:

As for Hardened Armed Dragon, unless a card negates the summon (Warning or Judgment or White Horn of Heaven) , they won't affect the summoned monster, as the lingering continious effect of Hardened Armed Dragon will take place immidiately (:

more_horiz
I've been doing some research, and have read that the effect that increases its ATK and DEF starts a chain, thus allowing the opponent to chain Bottomless Trap Hole to the summon.

That's all I got. Thanks for the rest, everyone. Smile

more_horiz
^^ Wrong though. That effect is continious, so no chains from that

more_horiz
true u can't i have a wicked deck and i tried

more_horiz
Soryy guys but Bakuman is right:
The Wicked Avatar wrote:
When this card is Tribute Summoned, its effect begins a chain. You can chain "Bottomless Trap Hole" or "Torrential Tribute" to this effect.

But if Hardened- Armed Dragon is used for the tribute summon of the monster, your opponent can still chain BTH or TT but they will resolve without destroying The Wicked Avatar.

more_horiz
So to conclude:

The effect to raise it's ATK/DEF is continuous, and takes place as soon as it hits the field (before BTH, TT, etc. could be activated).

The effect that prevents the activation of spells/traps starts a chain when it's summoned, so you are able to chain BTH, TT and the like.

If Hardened-Armed Dragon is used for the summon, you can still activate BTH and TT, but The Wicked won't be destroyed (or removed in the case of BTH).

more_horiz
Excuse me but why does the spell trap negation effect start a chain? I am not trying to object since the official statement is there, but I just can't see the logic :/

more_horiz
Ruby wrote:
Excuse me but why does the spell trap negation effect start a chain? I am not trying to object since the official statement is there, but I just can't see the logic :/

That effect is a trigger effect and activates the moment The Wicked Avatar hits the field successfully, thus starting a chain as any other effect (except continuous effects like The Wicked Avatar's effect that always changes it's ATK to +100 of the highest atk on the field). And because it starts a chain you can chain cards like BTH and TT.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply