Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

Day In The Life

power_settings_newLogin to reply

Day In The Life

I want to paint a picture for the membership of Duel Academy, as to what an Administrator such as myself does.

As you can see, I'm third on the posts list for the forum (I don't count the Dice Jar, who is clearly a bot) but you can't see 80% of my posts. There's a reason for that.

Recently, as Administrators, the lot of us were asked to 'step up or ship out' and I have chosen to do the former. I've stepped up my activity a lot over the past few weeks, and I think everyone has noticed that.

A lot of the things I do are behind the scenes. I proposed we pay our staff a weekly stipend, which has been approved. I organized the current list of Administrators and the roles each has. This isn't my first or second crack at being an Administrator - this is my third, and presumably final.

So, other than organizing the staff, I am the code monkey. That means looking at this a lot.

Day In The Life Coding10

Admittedly, I'm still learning JavaScript, thanks to Irate - but I do handle all of the User Permissions, and Widgets - which are something I am literally just starting to handle.

I also handle Staff Salaries, something new. Yes, Duel Academy is paying its staff. That's incentive to join the staff, so contact BWG for available jobs.

Up until recently, I've also been doing Human Resources. That's looking at who is doing what, and handling any problems that arise in the staff, or users, where there are issues. Fortunately there haven't been too many of these.

I'm also very concerned about user satisfaction. If the user doesn't show to Duel Academy, it doesn't matter what I do - I can't keep them here if there's no interest. You are very important to the success of Duel Academy, and when ideas are presented I look into it alongside Heatnix and determine what is good, and what is not.

There's a few other things that an Administrator does, but it is not all the fun and games that it would appear to be.

-Jake

Comments

Jin Kazama
The first degree I wanted was Business and I have determined that I wouldn't be a bad Human Resources Manager so this fits well.
FenixFX
Seems like you are doing a fine job, and it also seems that you have some good knowledge about management, actually in how organizations are supposed to work properly, the staff hierarchy and other fundamental concepts as well.
Keep it up.
Jin Kazama
Actually. As long as there were one Admin controlling the ACP. It wouldn't be all that bad, though there would have to be a lot of visionaries and that one Admin would have to be extremely organized.
LòKóS
Where would we be without administrators?!
Jin Kazama
Hey. Better to know what I do than assume all I do is forum security. Razz
BlackWarGreymon
It's like a interview Jin Day In The Life 3974120512
Jin Kazama
The hardest things about my job are figuring out what the next big events are that Duel Academy can take pride in. That event that gives us lots of hype. Setting up of permissions comes in a close second and the handling of widgets, while not something I frequently do, is still difficult enough to warrant a mention.
Ezekeil
What would you say some of the hardest things about your job are?
Gremlin
had something else written here but it came across as being too mean for no reason even for me

thanks for all the hard work though
Jin Kazama
There's a lot more to being an Administrator than just hunting trouble-makers. Besides, Security on a website has evolved to the point where everyone should play a role in it, especially Moderators.
DefinitelyNotXrai
A lot harder than I expected. o.o Originally thought the job was to roam around and hunt down rule-breakers, that's it. Brings some more knowledge into the idea, Jin. :D
Jin Kazama
I think I'm doing a fine job of it. Settling and finally found a spot I really like.
Skitoritto
DA has lots of JavaScript ._. , i never had that many on my forums e_e .
I know how hard it is to "control form the shadows" , wish you luck mate Wink .
power_settings_newLogin to reply
remove_circleSimilar topics
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum