Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

descriptionStrategies against cards like Red Nova Dragon? EmptyStrategies against cards like Red Nova Dragon?

more_horiz
As the title suggests, I want to talk about possible combos and/or strategies that can work against Red Nova Dragon and other similar monsters that can negate monster attacks and card effects.

So, first, here is something I'd come up with before; tell me if it'd work:
By the way, there's something that's been bugging me for a while now; if
I have a Spellcaster-Type monster or two on the field, Effect Veilier
in hand, and Magical Dimension face-down, then during my opponent's Main
Phase I discard Effect Veiler while targeting my opponent's Red Nova
Dragon (or any other monster with similar immunities), and then activate
Magical Dimension during their Battle Phase to destroy Red Nova Dragon
or whatever similarly immune monster after Special Summoning my
Spellcaster, will it work?

Also, would effects like those of Lighting Vortex or Dark Hole work? And I've heard that Dark Magician of Chaos or Chaos Sorcerer's effect(s) should work even without having to use Effect Veiler or a similar effect negating card.

Hypothetically speaking, if I were to power up Stardust Dragon enough to defeat Red Nova Dragon, would it be able to destroy Red Nova Dragon by battle? Since their effects are similar.

Lastly, am I right in thinking that Divine Wrath wouldn't work against these kinds of monsters?

descriptionStrategies against cards like Red Nova Dragon? EmptyRe: Strategies against cards like Red Nova Dragon?

more_horiz
The effect is as it states. It cannot be destroyed by opponent card effects. Being destroyed by battle is not the same as being destroyed by an effect so you can destroy it through battle.

Also, note how it only says it cannot be destroyed by card effect. It doesn't say anywhere that it is unaffected by them. You can banish it, return it to the extra deck, target it, etc.

As for effect negation, if you have cards like Skill Drain, Veiler or Fiendish Chain then Red Nova's effect will be canceled. It may be a Continuous effect but it's still an effect so it can be negated.

For Divine Wrath, Nova has 4 effects. 2 of them are Continuous so Divine Wrath wouldn't be able to activate anyway. The other 2 are Trigger effects, meaning that they activate. One to negate an attack and the other to re-summon Nova to the field. Here's how it works:

If Nova activates its effect to negate an attack, you can activate Divine Wrath. When this happens, Nova's activation will be negated. The attack will be negated but it will not be destroyed.

If you activate Divine Wrath when Nova attempts to return to the field, Nova's return will be negated and it will stay in the RFG zone.

descriptionStrategies against cards like Red Nova Dragon? EmptyRe: Strategies against cards like Red Nova Dragon?

more_horiz
Plenty of ways. It can't destroyed by effect only, so you can use Dimensional Prison, Bottomless Trap Hole, Evacuation Device,...Some effect negation Traps are also good too (Skill Drain, etc, what Ali said,...)

more_horiz
@Ali: Wouldn't I need to negate its effect before I even think about attacking, though, seeing as it could just negate the attack? Sure, the player has to activate the effect, but I don't think there's anyone anywhere who wouldn't do it.

So then Lightning Vortex wouldn't destroy it unless I negate its effect first, then. But Chaos Sorcerer's effect will work on it. Dark Magician of Chaos' effect (playing in Traditional Format) wouldn't work, or would it work? It has to attack first, so the attack will probably be negated.

more_horiz
Dimensional Prison. Strategies against cards like Red Nova Dragon? 1151057309

more_horiz
bottomless wouldnt work since it has to destroy first

more_horiz
My thoughts exactly. Red Nova has immunity to those types of effects.

more_horiz
Anzotroll wrote:
Dimensional Prison. Strategies against cards like Red Nova Dragon? 1151057309

Basicly this.
What could also work is having a Monster like "Junk Gardna" and another Monster that has an ATK of +3000.

Play Junk Gardna's effect and switch Red Nova to DEF, then attack with the +3k ATK Monster to make Red Nova banish itself. Then attack with Junk Gardna and other Monster you may or may not have face-up on the field.

more_horiz
Sounds good.

By the way, DN finally started working on my end so I was able to complete this: Strategies against cards like Red Nova Dragon? HI51OJA

Anyone care to duel me to test it out?

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply