Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

Lesson #27(SOLVED BY N)

+4
SoulEater
pielord55
EarlS
LethalAfterZ
8 posters

descriptionLesson #27(SOLVED BY N) EmptyLesson #27(SOLVED BY N)

more_horiz
LESSON 27
Different Types of Effects

Effect Monsters are Monster Cards with an orange color border. Unlike Non-Effect Monster (particularly Normal Monsters), these monsters have an effect (Special Ability in the anime), which is demonstrated clearly by the fact that they have the Type 'Effect' beside their regular sub-type (Reptile, Spellcaster, etc.). Effects vary greatly, and are classed in five different types. In this lesson your objective is to list every type of effect and explain what the effect does and also givean example of card/s with the effect. The reward will be given to whoever gives the best in-depth explanation of the effects. You are to explain these effects in your own words. Did you noticethat I copied and pasted the intro for this lesson of off the yugioh wikia? Well that is an example of what you are not to do. You can use sites like the wikia or pojo for reference, but the answer has to be written from you in your own words. If anyone breaks this rule, I will ignore every post of his in this thread and you can guarantee he won't get the reward. Now after you have completed the task of explaining the effects, you will have to apply that knowledge and answer the two essay questions below.

Essay Question #1

Jaden has a faceup attack posistion Evil Hero Dark Gaia and Yugi has a set Fossil Dyna Pachyphalo. Jaden proceeds to attack the set monster with his Dark Gaia. Fossil Dyna is flipped and Yugi activates his effect, attempting to destroy Dark Gaia. However, Jaden says that Yugi does not get his effect because of Dark Gaia. Is Jaden right? Explain why or why not.

Essay Question #2

Rex Raptor has a faceup Evolzar Dolkka. Yugi activates Mind Control and takes control of the Dolkka. Rex activates effect veiler, targetting theDolkka Yugi just took. Yugi detaches one XYZ material from Dolkka and chains to veiler, then Yugi detaches another XYZ material from Dolkka, chaining Dolkka to itself and destroying it. Is that a legal play by Yugi? Explain why or why not.

Before you respond, please read the Classroom Rules here.

Reward: 200 DP

Last edited by LethalAfterZ on Wed May 23, 2012 2:11 am; edited 2 times in total

descriptionLesson #27(SOLVED BY N) EmptyRe: Lesson #27(SOLVED BY N)

more_horiz
There are 5 different types of effects. Ignition, continuous, trigger, flip, and quick effects.

Ignition effects are effects that needs to be used manually by it's controller. Such as Rescue rabbit.

Continuous effects are effects that are permanent and stay is effect as long as the card stays face-up on the field. Such as Jinzo

Trigger effects are effects that happens when the trigger condition is met. And there are two types of Trigger effects. Optional trigger effects are effects that can be activated or chose not to activated. Optional effects can miss it's timing. Compulsory Trigger effects are effects that must be activated and will not miss timing. Such as armagedden knight.

Flip effects are effects that activates when the face-down flip effect monster is flipped face-up. These monsters' text often comes with the word "FLIP". Such as ryko, lightsworn hunter.

Quick effects are effects that can be activated during either player's turn. Such as effect veiler

Question one: Yes jaden is right because evil hero dark gaia's effect. And his effect is:When this card declares an attack: You can change all Defense Position monsters your opponent controls to face-up Attack Position. (Flip Effects are not activated at this time.) And so dyna's effect cannot be activated.

Question 2: Yes because veiler's effect is chain 1, dolkka's effects are chain 2 and 3. Therefore dolkka will be destroyed before veiler negates him.

Last edited by EarlS on Tue May 22, 2012 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
Sigh not again...

There are 3 parts of this lesson and you did not answer the first. I don't know why people always skip the first, if you read the whole thing you shouldn't miss the first part. Either answer all 3 parts or do not post in this lesson.

more_horiz
the 5 effects of effect monster's is:continuous,ignition,trigger,flip,and also quick
continuous effects activates when a monster is successfully summoned and don't go away until it is destroyed or flipped face down
example card:obelisk the tormentor has a continuous effect of this card cannot be targeted by spells,traps,or card effects
ignition effects are spell speed 1 effects that require the controller of the monster activate it during main phase 1 or main phase 2 of their own turn
example card:card trooper is a ignition effect one per turn you can send the top 1- 3 cards of your deck to the graveyard this card also gains 500 atk points per card sent to graveyard from this effect
trigger effects don't happen by its self the controller of the card can figure out if they want to activate it or not
example card:black rose dragon is a trigger effect because when it is synchro summoned u can destroy all cards on the field
flip effects activate when you flip summon a monster or when it is destroyed while in face-down position
example card: man eater bug flip:destroy 1 monster on the field
quick effects can activate during either players turn but they only monster effects that is spell speed 2
example card:prime material dragon is a quick effect monster because when your opponent activates dark hole on their own turn or your turn you can discard 1 card and negate any spell,trap,pr card effect that destroys a monster on the field

question #1:yes jade can activate it because dark gaia's effect can switch all face-down def position monster to face-up attack position but as a result of that happening flip effects cannot be activated at that time
question #2 no,because effect vieler effect can still be in play if yugi chains himself because he would of negated his own effect so their for dolkka effect is negated until end phase

Last edited by pielord55 on Tue May 22, 2012 9:33 pm; edited 3 times in total

more_horiz
Oops sorry, i will change the answer now. I saw the number 1 and 2 and i went right to it -_-

Fixed it, i also changed one of the answer because i was not sure>.>

Last edited by EarlS on Tue May 22, 2012 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
pielord55 wrote:
question 1:yes jaden can because dark gaia changes face-down def to face-up attack with negating any flip-effects
question 2: no because if he negates him self then his own eff negated until end phase of the current turn

So you're just going to completely ignore the post above you?

more_horiz
didnt see it sorry i will fix it

more_horiz
Okay here goes

Their are continues monster effects that take effect so long as the card remains
such as lord of D for example as long as lord of D stay Blue-eyes white will be immune to magics traps monster effects

then their are summon effects witch must take place meaning you have no option but to let this take place for example BLS of the beginning must be summoned by banishing 1 light and 1 dark

also we have compulsory effects meaning they MUST take place (unless negated) such as most archfiend monsters like dark bishop archfiend the owner must pay 500 per turn

Ignition effect is a effect that you must activate on your own such as Lyla
you must choose to activate lyla's effect

flip effects can only take place after the monster has been set and flipped face up again you can activate their effect the turn after you set or if your opp attacks it for example man eater bug

trigger effects happen when the requirement is fulfilled most monarchs are good examples like (my favorite) mobius as soon as you tribute summon him you get rid of 2 spell or traps on the field

A quick effect is a effect that my take place on either players turn such as doomcaliber knight's effect when a monster effect is activated he must negate it

okay think i got all of them....

Essay one

evil hero gaia negates the effect of Dyna

Essay two

No like the above answer effect veil er would negate the effect untill the end phase if he tried that

more_horiz
1 - Continous effect - Well when you summon a monster its effect activates and this effect is continous . This effect last as long the monster is on the field or its flipped [ if you understand me ] Its like Jinzo you summon him and he negates all traps till he gets removed or flipped , but when he gets flipped it activates again. There are effect monsters that effect applies in a right time i mean kinda when they attack they gain ATK like T.G Rhino, im not sure about this so enough about Continous.

2. Flip effect - Those effects are activated when a monster is flipped up face up, or in a result of battle. If its flipped face up and destroyed by battle first its DESTROYED, THEN THE EFFECT ACTIVATES! You understand me? 1. Destroy , 2. Activated. Okay there are cards that flip all face down monsters, there aint flip effect in those situations, when a monster's like Evil Hero Dark Gaia's [ saying this cuz of 2nd part ]
is activated [ to flip all defense position monsters / fd to Face up Attack positon ] Flip effects are not activated. IM SAYING THIS CUZ OF PART 2

We all know Ryko , its flip effect monster , if you just flip it face up ATK position you can destroy 1 card on the field and you have cost to mill 3 top cards. Its same as a result of battle, its just destroyed, you destroy and mill. Enough about those i told as much as i could!

3. Quick effect - Its simple, it just can be activated in either player's turn, "When a spell or trap card is activated" or kind of. I didnt say much there but no need of it.

4. Trigger effect - Well , i cant explain it so good so imma give this for example :
We tribute summon for Caius, The Shadow Monarch and the effect is triggered when Caius is tribute summoned, same about Black Rose Dragon , when its synchro summoned its effect is triggered AND YOU CAN DECIDE WILL YOU ACTIVATE IT OR NO!

5. I think we're to the last one Ignition - Well its simple, its effect that needs activate from the controller of the card. I mean that it needs activation from the one who summoned it. ho controlls it anyway we can use [color=red]Mind Control here] Enough about this lets go to the other parts

PART 2 Q1 - Yes, Jaden is right cuz in this situation flip effects aint activated " Gaia's effect " Didnt explain it well but you can look upper -.- That's enough.

Q2 -
If he negates himself then veiler will negate Dolkka untill end phase.

I dont know if i answered well, i know that i didnt answer full at 1 part. But i worked hard.

more_horiz
Jack Spicer
5/22/2012
Lesson #27

Part One:
An effect Monster is a monster that has special abilities. There are five different effects which include; Flip effect, Continuous effect, Ignition effect, trigger effect and Quick effect. These effects vary with proper timing and the different phases in the game.

A Flip effect is an effect that is triggered when a face down monster card is flipped face up. This happens when the effect monster is Flipped Summoned, attacked while it is face down, or flipped face up by a card effect (example: book of moon). Printed on these cards are the word "Flip:”; Morphing Jar is a well-known flip effect monster card that triggers when it is flipped face up, giving him the ability to discard the cards in each players hand to the grave and then each player draws five cards from the top of their decks.

A continuous effect is active when an effect monster is face up on the field; meaning there is no trigger for the activation. The monsters are more useful when you protect them from card effects. These effects can be stopped by cards like skill drain and fiendish chain. However, a continuous monster effect ends when the monster is destroyed or leaves the field. A great example continuous monster card is Jinzo. Jinzo's ability allows him to stop trap cards from being activated and trap cards that are face up on the field are negated.

An Ignition Effect is an effect that has to be activated during your Main Phase. Some Ignition Effects require a cost to activate, like discarding cards from your hand, Tributing a monster, or paying Life Points. This is an effect that you choose to use but, must be used only in the main phase. Some ignition monster cards require you to activate the effect in a specific main phase; either main phase one or two. Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress is a good example for ignition effects. Lyla's ability allows her to target one Spell or Trap Card your opponent controls; change her from face-up Attack Position to face-up Defense Position, and destroy that target, but this card's battle position cannot be changed until the end of your next turn, except with a card effect. In addition, you have to send the three top cards of your deck to the grave yard, if she is still face up on the field by the end phase.

Trigger Effects are activated at specific times. Some effects are triggered during the Standby Phase, at the end of the battle phase, or when a monster is destroyed. Trigger effects are good for combos. For example, the archetypes Gladiator beasts have a trigger effect. A Gladiator beast has the ability to tag into the deck and special summon another, having their effect triggered.

Quick effects are special monster effects that you can activate even during your opponent's turn. Quick effects have a Spell Speed of two, even though all other monster effects have a Spell Speed of one. Since these card effects are difficult to predict your opponent might be prepared to counter. A really good quick effect monster card is D.D. Crow. D.D. Crow allows you to discard it during either players turn to "banish" (remove from play) one card in your opponents’ grave yard.

Part two/Question #1:
No, Even though Dark Gaia has the ability to flip face down monsters into face up attack position and negate flip effects; Fossil Dyna is not a flip effect and Evil Hero Dark Gaia will be destroyed. Therefore Jayden is wrong.

Part two/Question #2:
No, Veiler would be chain-link 1 (discarded as cost), dolkka chain as chain-link 2; chain resolves backwards therefore dolkka negates veiler before veiler can resolve. However the effect of Dolkka can only be used once per chain.

Last edited by Jack Spicer on Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : typos)

more_horiz
The five different types of effects are Ignition, Trigger, Quick, Continuous, and Flip Effects.

Ignition Effects are effects that can not be used in chain or response to something, and can only be used in your turn, because they are spell speed 1. Example of an ignition effect is Chaos Sorcerer.

Trigger effects are effects that are triggered when a certain condition is met. Examples are Sangan, Reborn Tengu, Elemental HERO Stratos, and Giant Rat

Quick Effects are effects that can be used in either players turn, and they can be used as a chain in response to a card or effect, however they can't be used in response to counter traps, because they are spell speed 3, and quick effects are spell speed 3. Examples of Quick Effects are Legendary Six Samurai Shi-En, Evolzar Laggia, Evolzar Dollka, Naturia Beast, Naturia Barkion, Photon Strike Bounzer, and Constellar Pleidas.

Continuous Effects are effects that do not start a chain, because they do not activate. As long as the monster with the continuous effect is face up on the field, it's continuous effect is applied. Examples of continuous effects are Gellenduo(first effect), and Jinzo.

Flip Effects are effects that activate whenever the monster with the flip effect is flipped face up, and have the word FLIP: in their effects. Examples of flip effects are Worm Cartaros, Batteryman Micro Cell, and A cat of ill omen. All monsters that have effects that activate when they are flipped face up are not Flip Effects. Example, Fossil Dyna Pachyphaelo, Worm Yagan, and Snowman Eater. These mosnters are not flip effects because their effects are not worded with FLIP:.

Essay Question #1: Jaden is wrong. Fossil Dyna Pachyphaelo is not a flip effect, so Dark Gaia will not prevent Pachy from getting it's effect. Flip Effects must be worded with FLIP:.

Essay Question #2: Yugis play is legal. Evolzar Dolkka can be activated multiple times in one chain, and can even negate itself.

more_horiz
N, what type of effect is Pachy?

more_horiz
Part One:
An effect Monster is a monster that has special abilities. There are five different effects which include; Flip effect, Continuous effect, Ignition effect, trigger effect and Quick effect. These effects vary with proper timing and the different phases in the game.

A Flip effect is an effect that is triggered when a face down monster card is flipped face up. This happens when the effect monster is Flipped Summoned, attacked while it is face down, or flipped face up by a card effect (example: book of moon). Printed on these cards are the word "Flip:”; Morphing Jar is a well-known flip effect monster card that triggers when it is flipped face up, giving him the ability to discard the cards in each players hand to the grave and then each player draws five cards from the top of their decks.

A continuous effect is active when an effect monster is face up on the field; meaning there is no trigger for the activation. The monsters are more useful when you protect them from card effects. These effects can be stopped by cards like skill drain and fiendish chain. However, a continuous monster effect ends when the monster is destroyed or leaves the field. A great example continuous monster card is Jinzo. Jinzo's ability allows him to stop trap cards from being activated and trap cards that are face up on the field are negated.

An Ignition Effect is an effect that has to be activated during your Main Phase. Some Ignition Effects require a cost to activate, like discarding cards from your hand, Tributing a monster, or paying Life Points. This is an effect that you choose to use but, must be used only in the main phase. Some ignition monster cards require you to activate the effect in a specific main phase; either main phase one or two. Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress is a good example for ignition effects. Lyla's ability allows her to target one Spell or Trap Card your opponent controls; change her from face-up Attack Position to face-up Defense Position, and destroy that target, but this card's battle position cannot be changed until the end of your next turn, except with a card effect. In addition, you have to send the three top cards of your deck to the grave yard, if she is still face up on the field by the end phase.

Trigger Effects are activated at specific times. Some effects are triggered during the Standby Phase, at the end of the battle phase, or when a monster is destroyed. Trigger effects are good for combos. For example, the archetypes Gladiator beasts have a trigger effect. A Gladiator beast has the ability to tag into the deck and special summon another, having their effect triggered.

Quick effects are special monster effects that you can activate even during your opponent's turn. Quick effects have a Spell Speed of two, even though all other monster effects have a Spell Speed of one. Since these card effects are difficult to predict your opponent might be prepared to counter. A really good quick effect monster card is D.D. Crow. D.D. Crow allows you to discard it during either players turn to "banish" (remove from play) one card in your opponents’ grave yard.

Part two/Question #1:
No, Even though Dark Gaia has the ability to flip face down monsters into face up attack position and negate flip effects; Fossil Dyna is not a flip effect; Dynna has an ignition/continuous effect so Evil Hero Dark Gaia will be destroyed. Therefore Jayden is wrong.

Part two/Question #2: Yes, Dolkka can chain multiple times in a chain. For example, Veiler would be chain-link 1 (discarded as cost), dolkka chain as chain-link 2; chain resolves backwards therefore dolkka negates veiler before veiler can resolve, in addiction to that dolkka can chain to his self which would be chain link 4 and destroy his self.

more_horiz
Pachy is a pseudo flip effect. Pseudo flip effects are sub-category effects of flip effects. For a monster to be a pseudo flip effect, it must simply say it activates when flipped face up, but they dont say FLIP:. Pseudo flip effects will still activate even if the opponent uses a card like ceasfire or dark gaia.

more_horiz
N gave a solid explanation of all types of effects and got both essay questions correct. Jack, you gave a great explanation of the effects, but you did not mention pseudo flip effects any where.

Solved by N.

more_horiz
Prize Awarded/Locked

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum