Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

descriptionLesson #10 [Solved:brandy263] EmptyLesson #10 [Solved:brandy263]

more_horiz

LESSON #10

Special Summoning and Negation
Lesson #10 will be about when a special summon can be negated by certain cards and why certain special summons cannot be negated by certain cards. The key to this lesson is how chains work. Chains are a fairly common and important aspect of Yugioh. Understanding the concept of chains is very important. Basically a chain is formed from the activation of 1 card, that is followed by 1 or more subsequent card activations. Note, I am talking about normal chains, not SEGOC chains. When a card is activated if there is a cost it is paid at activation as well as any targeting that needs to be done. After the cost and targets have been selected the opponent has a chance to respond and start/continue the chain. The effects of the cards happen at resolution, not at activation. So if you pay a cost and the card is negated, you do not get a refund of that cost.

Now that I explained the basic concept of the chain let's get to the topic at hand; Special Summoning and Negation. For this topic I will use 3 cards that are very commonly used in almost every deck: Thunder King Rai-oh, Solemn Warning, Solemn Judgement. They can all stop special summons, but what they can negate can differ to some degree. Why is it that Rai-oh cannot negate certain special summons, like the special summon of a card from Monster Reborn? Does it have to due with chains and resolution?

Explain to me the following scenario's:

I have TK Rai-oh on my side of the field. My opponent Uses Premature Burial. At activation they pay 800 life points and target their Summoned Skull in the graveyard. Why can I not negate this special summon? TKRO says it can negate a special summon, how come I can't? Can I negate the activation of Premature with Solemn Warning? Will they still lose life points if so?

My opponent controls no monsters and I have a Thuner King. They special summon Cyber Dragon. Can I negate the summon with Thunder King? Can I negate it with Solemn Judgement? Explain why.

My opponent uses Miracle Fusion. They have a face-up E-HERO Neos and a Penguin Soldier in their grave. The opponent then asks if the activation of Miracle Fusion is alright. You allow it. They then use the listed materials for the Fusion Summon. I have a face-down Solemn Judgement, can I negate the fusion summon of E-HERO Absolute Zero with Solemn Judgement? What should I have done if I wanted to stop the fusion summon?

My opponent has no cards on their side of the field and 1 card in hand (Gorz the Emissary of Darkness). I have a face-up TK Rai-oh, a set Solemn Judgement and a set Solemn Warning. Which of the three can be used to negate the special summon of Gorz? Do I have the option of using all 3? Just 2? or only one? Explain why I can or can't use a card.

Remember, the key here is chains.

Last edited by vantagesp on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

descriptionLesson #10 [Solved:brandy263] EmptyRe: Lesson #10 [Solved:brandy263]

more_horiz
scenario 1: you cannot negate premature burial with TKRO because the monster special summoned is a non inherent summon and its summon cannot be negated by solemn judgement, horn of black heaven, etc. You can negate the activation of premature burial with solemn warning because premature burials effect special summons a monster and yes the cost for premature burial is still paid because as you said above after a card is targeted and the cost is paid if neccesary for activation then a chain is activated and the opponent has a chance to respond with spell,trap,etc

scenario 2: yes TRKO can negate the effect special summon of cyber dragon because cyber dragons special summon is a inherent summon. Yes you can negate cyber dragons summon with solemn judgement because as i said before cyber dragon is a inherent summon which judgement can negate

scenarios 3: You cannot negate the special summon of absolute zero with solemn judgement once again non inherent summon, if you wanted to stop the fusion summon you should have used solemn judgement to negate miracle fusion

scenario 4: The only card that can be used to negate gorz's special summon is solemn. TKRO,solemn judgement and similar cards cannot negate a Special Summon which occurs during the resolution of an eff which activates, however solemn warning can negate gor's effect to special summon a token when battle damage is taken.

more_horiz
Correct. I was looking for one more thing though. An explanation having to do with chains. Once that is provided the topic can be fully solved.

more_horiz
A Chain is formed when one player activates a Card effect and their opponent responds with an effect of their own.After a card is activated the cards cost and target (if there is one must be chosen before the opponent has a chance to respond).A Chain is resolved starting with the last card played and working backward as a example say player 1 uses dark hole (chain link 1), player 2 then chains solemn judgement and pays half their life points as the cost(chain link 2), player 1 then chains seven tools of the bandit paying 1000 lp as the cost (chain link 3) no other cards are chained and seven tools effect activates negating judgement,since judgement was negated dark holes effect still activates.Declaring an Attack or Summoning a Monster cannot be chained to, since those actions do not possess a Spell Speed. Instead, those actions can only be responded to if it was the last action to have happened on the field example:Player 1 summons a Blue-Eyes White Dragon, but Player 2 declines to activate a card in response. If Player 1 then enters the Battle Phase and declares an attack, Player 2 has missed the chance to activate in response to the summon and Trap Hole cannot be activated.You can chain to every monster effect with the exception of Continuous Effects, which come into play as soon as the monster hits the field like jinzo.You can chain to your own cards effects.

Sorry for making that so long xD

more_horiz
What I was looking for was:

Cards like Rai-oh can't negate the special summon from cards like Monster Reborn because you cannot form a new chain while a chain is resolving. Hence why Rai can only negate SSes of cards that do not start chains like Cydra. But, I appreciate the robust explanation. You win!

more_horiz
Solved and Locked

more_horiz
DP transferred?

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum