Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

descriptionYugioh World Championship Qualifier EmptyYugioh World Championship Qualifier

more_horiz
This tough event was contested over the weekend. Many individuals made good showings at the event, and two DGZ residents made it to Worlds: Patrick Hoban and Aaron Riker. However, I'd like to talk about two peoples' reports that make the most sense to me: Jeremy Thibeau, who is my real life friend, and Aaron Riker, who I am on a team with on Duelist Groundz.

I'm going to flip back and forth between the two. Here's the deck Aaron played that earned him an invite to Worlds:

3 Blaster, Dragon Ruler of Infernos
3 Tidal, Dragon Ruler of Waterfalls
3 Redox, Dragon Ruler of Boulders
3 Tempest, Dragon Ruler of Cyclones
3 Maxx "C"
3 Effect Veiler
2 Reactan, Dragon Ruler of Pebbles
2 Stream, Dragon Ruler of Droplets
2 Burner, Dragon Ruler of Sparks
2 Lightning, Dragon Ruler of Drafts
1 Dragunity - Corsesca

3 Super Rejuvenation
3 Gold Sarcophagus
3 Sacred Sword of Seven Stars
1 Card Destruction
1 Dark Hole
1 Book of Moon
1 Heavy Storm

3 Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack
2 Number 11: Big Eye
1 Gaia Dragon the Thunder Charger
1 Mermail Abyssgaios
1 Crimson Blader
1 Colossal Fighter
1 Scrap Dragon
1 Thought Ruler Archfiend
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 Ancient Sacred Wyvern
1 Karakuri Shogun mdl "00" Burei
1 Armory Arm

3 Eradicator Epidemic Virus
3 Mystical Space Typhoon
2 DNA Surgery
2 Psi-Blocker
2 Vanity's Emptiness
1 Swift Scarecrow
1 Deck Devastation Virus
1 Lightning Vortex

They wanted consistency over teching, and I would say it worked out for the both of them. JT ended up in the Top 8 of the Attack of the Giant Card on Friday night so he's stoked for the WCQ to start. I wished him good luck. (Forget if I had mentioned to pass it around to the others, but I tried to.)

I had been paying attention to the standings all day. Jeremy was x-2 at Round 4, and given I had him on text and notifications he let me know that it was required he win out to get to the top 64. Aaron was 4-0 at round 4.

Anyhow. Four+ hours later, I hear Jeremy's finally out at 5-3, same thing he and I both did at Toronto last year. Sucks, but it happens. Aaron, meanwhile is 8-0 and very much alive in Day 2. He just needs 1 more win and he moves on to the top 64.

JT is convinced on Sunday to play in another Attack of the Giant Cards. Meanwhile Aaron is steamrolling into Day 2. I look at the standings after Round 10 and realize Aaron is 10-0. JT has gone into R3 of the Attack of the Giant Cards, beats Jeff Jones' boyfriend... and then plays Jeff Jones. And wins. And plays Billy Brake. And wins again.

JT is in the finals of the Attack of the Giant Card!

By this point I've gone to check the top 16 of Nationals, and entered it 11-0. He won his top 16 match and is in top 8.

JT ends up playing a Spellbook player in the finals of Attack of the Giant Card and wins the large Blue Eyes Toon Dragon card. He sells it to Alter Reality Games for $300 because he's Canadian (and those shipping costs are probably as much as the card costs, with the card being 2 ft by 4 ft). Meanwhile Aaron's in the top 8... but not the Top 4. He lost in top 8.

Which meant he had to play for his life in the 'bottom' 4.

But, he did manage to get there and win. I can't describe it because I wasn't there.

Many, many individuals from Duelist Groundz had an awesome showing at this year's WCQ, but congratulations to Patrick Hoban and Aaron Riker, who are going to Worlds, as well as Jeremy Thibeau for winning one of the largest side events at Worlds!

-Tokugawa Ieyasu

descriptionYugioh World Championship Qualifier EmptyRe: Yugioh World Championship Qualifier

more_horiz
Nice report ,reading it was like watching the tournament Wink.

descriptionYugioh World Championship Qualifier EmptyRe: Yugioh World Championship Qualifier

more_horiz
i wanna see the statistics of the amount of decks participated i wanna see the e drag spellbook ratio

more_horiz
4 Dragons and 2 Prophecy made Worlds. Further than that it was... I'd like to say 60% Dragons, 30% Prophecy and 10% other, not sure

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply