Hello, folks.

Jin's here with an exciting new article. It's the third week of March and guess what happens every six months. That's right, the banned list changes!

So, before I get to the Tier Listing, we have to go over what changed from last format:

Newly Banned:

Sangan (Limited)
Wind-Up Carrier Zenmaity (Limited)

Sangan
was expected to go last format, but with Crane Crane, free searches on
Sangan couldn't be allowed. Also Wind-Ups have been dominating for the better part of a year. As a result, the first significant hit to them
was to remove Zenmaity.

Newly Limited:

Wind-Up Magician (Unlimited)
One Day of Peace (Unlimited)
Solemn Warning (Semi-Limited)

Wind-Up
Magician was removed to ensure Wind-Ups were hit very hard this format. One Day of Peace ensures that Chain Burn is not as big a factor at major tournaments. Solemn Warning is a good card all around. Hitting it to 1 seems like a decent play, though I don't think it was necessary.

Newly Semi-Limited:

Thunder King Rai-Oh (Unlimited)
Tsukuyomi (Limited)
Advanced Ritual Art (Limited)

Admittedly, Rai-Oh didn't need to be hit. Most top-tier decks were siding two of him anyhow; this doesn't change the side deck. Tsukuyomi going to 2 is fine - again, a side-decked card. I doubt people will play two. Advanced Ritual Art is a spell card for Rituals, which haven't done anything in years. This may open the way for Herald of Perfection styled Agents, but we'll see.

Newly Unlimited:

Blackwing - Kalut the Moon Shadow (Semi-Limited)
Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner (Semi-Limited)
Spore (Limited)
Shien's Smoke Signal (Semi-Limited)
Mind Crush (Semi-Limited)

Kalut is not going to help Blackwings all that much in the coming format. Lumina may make Judgment Dragon sacking just that much easier, given Chaos Dragons are a thing. Most of the good Synchros are already banned, so Spore coming off the list isn't that impactful. Shien's Smoke Signal makes it easier to make a Shi En, but with Water a deck and so much stuff going on I don't think it will factor into the game. Mind Crush will help with the Water matchup, since it seems to be extremely good, in addition to Spellbooks when they come out.

Tier List: Tier 2

These are decks that can do well in large-scale tournaments, but all in all they will not perform as well as those in higher tiers:

Tier 2:
Six Sams
HERO
Twilight/Chaos (Dragons)
Agent
Gravekeepers

Six Samurais have been neutered from their glory, but they are still a
threat to other decks for the first-turn Shi En play. In addition,
searching out monsters first turn provides them with a lot of ammunition
to fuel. Their Hand lets them get rid of big monsters, and Spirit
allows them a little extra push.

Cards and Decks of the Format Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-kYY8jYOOH4Su3RVPfmsPIXJ7Ve1Mxzdde35tPPDiHrSQjDB0

Cards and Decks of the Format Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFzmauIV0lUTPiPg9WmQtpoz3yjIoaedZUYA4hb64a71YU2lOvCQ

Cards and Decks of the Format Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTM8MVqJ5Rqqxw0i9hUgSHlzAkR7HBrotZCt-nRzntno4eNxRXL8w

Cards and Decks of the Format Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWrNz4I2TUIt66m4DYXxF1Wd3hwIlwz3AGxrsYCdsKhxpedAGV

Cards and Decks of the Format Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2DKa-0gNoFED9NxD4-CxOQoxjzSYyAnb12FwwcYD2c4DvFwdSyQ

HERO has always been a factor at major tournaments. It is predictable, but in the current meta it still does okay. There are two forms of HERO
decks: Standard and Bubble Beat. Standard Heroes are more about
controlling the field while Bubble Beat is more of a beatdown-style.

Cards and Decks of the Format ElementalHeroStratos

Cards and Decks of the Format Z

Cards and Decks of the Format 9k=

Cards and Decks of the Format Z

Cards and Decks of the Format Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSouqiMfXgaH61ZuwrfifzoyxVgPiy8XT9Nnd-VwIA2K8seuOUm

Cards and Decks of the Format Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRR-MfY2xOgKYp2cyT-dCF_QpOikXDkdCAKWf3OsNwWpzFaaX_-

Chaos is a very unpredictable, explosive deck that has been doing well in tournaments since Judgment Dragon and Dark Armed Dragon were playable in the same deck. I predict it to remain at Tier 2. There are a couple of different ways of playing the deck, most notably with Lightsworns and Chaos Dragons.

Cards and Decks of the Format 86018_1M_Darkflare_Dragon

Cards and Decks of the Format Img410

Cards and Decks of the Format Tumblr_maag05Ns9R1rem1amo1_400

Cards and Decks of the Format Dark_armed_dragon_by_kai1411-d572o4c

Cards and Decks of the Format Yu-gi-oh-black-luster-soldier-envoy-of-the-beginning

Cards and Decks of the Format Lumina,LightswornSummonerLODT-EN-R-1E

Agents are a deck that has been up and down last format. With Advanced Ritual Art at 2, it is opening an opportunity for Herald of Perfection to combine with Agents, providing the deck with an interesting boost. However, the deck itself isn't bad either. Being aggressive with Agents are the way to go, while being passive with Perfection is the way to go there.

Cards and Decks of the Format Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4fCn4WPpuO09T2xBM-IGVf0AvvcsRV2XdNgcBG3dseRuQPgT9

Cards and Decks of the Format Yu-gi-oh-agent-of-creation-venus

Cards and Decks of the Format Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfSJCfAu-pMLMWmeZSi4_9trUL33tJhUs2kwPjDkrxUHsRavEqMQ

Cards and Decks of the Format Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLbBvQPCV_W2xLPYlosv78fsRKVVHu1QaDr4YaN1WSS-Wb1pAC

Cards and Decks of the Format Yu-Gi-Oh-Ancient-Sanctuary-Mystical-Shine-Ball

Cards and Decks of the Format HeraldofPerfectionTSHD-EN-UR-1E

Gravekeepers

Gravekeepers are a control deck with the ability to remove monsters from your opponent's hand by use of Royal Tribute. They also have a flip effect monster allowing you to special summon any Gravekeeper from your deck, and the others are no slouch either - allowing you to change battle positions and destroy monsters.

Cards and Decks of the Format Yu-Gi-Oh-Champion-Pack-3-Gravekeeper-s-Spy

Cards and Decks of the Format GravekeepersAssailant-PGD-NA-C-1E

Cards and Decks of the Format Gravekeeper%27sRecruiterSTBL-EN-R-1E

Cards and Decks of the Format Yu-Gi-Oh-Duelist-League-Promo-Necrovalley

Cards and Decks of the Format RoyalTribute-PGD-NA-C-1E

The above summarizes my predicted Tier 2 decks for the next format. Next week we will analyze those in Tier 1.5, and the week after we will analyze those in Tier 1 itself.

And, after that, we'll look at decklists.

Thanks for reading!

-Jin