Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

descriptionHow Did the March 2012 Banlist Affect the Meta? EmptyHow Did the March 2012 Banlist Affect the Meta?

more_horiz
Okay so this is going to be an attempt at an in-depth analysis of that
question, how did the banlist affect the meta. I will try to cover both
OCG and TCG, so bear with me!

What Decks Did Konami Kill?

• OCG
They
hurt Agents by the limiting of their 2 Star tuners. For Agents, this is
a major impact on the consistency of the deck, however the mindset must
have been geared towards worlds or just the OCG meta for this hit. For
the Striker, more specifically, it was hit in order to knock off the
T.G. aspect of T.G. Agents. Agents did win worlds after all, and as a
result should be hit, or just nocked down a peg.

• TCG
Well,
they hit Agents, T.G., & Plants. Agents really didn't have that big
of an impact in TCG, although they could topdeck out of a windup loop
well so they were hyped for the first YCS with Wind-ups in full force.
T.G. was really the only anti-meta archtype deck of the meta, but was
only hit indirectly cause of the hits to agents and plants. And now onto
plants... oh god, a massacre happened: Bye Glow-Up, Bye Spore, Bye
Trish, Bye Tengu... (images knife cutting through poor plants). So they
decided to kill a deck, big whoop. But this was just, Atomic bomb vs.
paper... This showed that konami is not kidding around when they want
sychros gone. They lined-up and fired and shot down 2 synchro heavy
decks, T.G. and Plants. So they eliminated one of the best decks at
maintaining advantage, plant synchro aka synchrocentric.

What Decks Were Left Untouched

• OCG
I really hope this is obvious :D
But Konami left Inzektors, Laval, Hero, and Rabbit Variants still
kicking strong. Now inzektors were a major threat to Agent domination in
Japan. The power of Hornet + Dragonfly + all of their new support in
the newest pack... oh my. Anyways, the deck is crazy good, netting +'s
like noone's business. This just shows how much the power creep has
reached, a deck like this untouched, well actually helped but that will
be covered later. Anyways, Laval was just too inconsistant i guess, but
it had finally begun to win its first tournaments. TBH, i think it was
about time that a Duel Terminal deck began to top in japan, but thats
just me :D
Moving on to Hero, i really don't know how the deck operates so much
better over there. Guess it has to deal with our meta, so... yeah. Now
the Rabbit Variants, more specifically Dino-Verz. The power behind this
deck is the fact that it can lock down Special Summoning lv 5 or highers
+ back it up with a Laggia. Now either of the 2 XYZ's are powerful in
their own right, putting em together = epic deck. Rabbits really aren't
the issue in OCG as they are in TCG, so thats probs why they were not
touched.

• TCG
Well. Everyone knows whats
coming, i hope. WHY THE HELL DID YOU NO TOUCH Inzektors, Wabbitz, OR
Wind-Up. Inzektors are just as powerful here, except for the fact that
we have tour guides to throw in as well. But that deck is covered by the
same shadow imprisioning mirror that shuts DW down. But moving onto
Wabbitz. Wabbitz in the TCG is a problem. I mean, look at the top 32
#'s. It is ridiculous. And the deck wasn't touched. The issue with the
TCG Version is the chance to make ur 1st turn laggia, then either use
Tour Guide or another rabbit to force opponent into a corner through
Laggia and Dolkka. The deck is slightly sacky, but overall there is a
reason why so many are topping, it is powerful. Getting basically 'free'
negations and crap is just so OP... i just cannot describe how OP it
is. But moving onto Wind-Up. You know what, really 2 words sum up the
issue with Wind-Ups: Hand Loop. Once they loop whole hand or maybe only 3
if you are lucky, you are basically dead no matter how good your
sacking skillz are. Once Daigusto Emeral hits TCG... a full loop has so
many more ways to occur. But that is a story for another day. Lets leave
this dreaded paragraph behind.

Decks Konami Helped

• OCG
Samurai,
Psychics, LS/Twilight, & Inzektors got a boost. Samurai remained a
competitive deck recently, and the fact that it got a boost is so
depressing. Psychics i have obviously been testing a lot (look at my
deck profile gosh), and if they get a good build down, IMO they are
effectively another Samruai deck that gains advantage from synchros, but
loses the ease of dropping beast and barkion early. LS/Twilight has
been getting so much love over the last couple banlists. After being
neutered, the deck is slowly working back its best cards: this time it
was lumina. Now the deck is a lot more consistant, and only time will
tell if that is enough to bring LS back to the tournament scene. And 3
COH means inzektors more happy now :D

• TCG
Basically the same goes for all the decks above, no decks were boosted here that are diff in Japan.

So
what should/does this banlist do? It effectively speeds up previously
slowed down decks to match the speed and power of the big 3. And when
have you EVER heard of konami speeding up a format with the banlist.
Effectively this means that there is going to be variety, but sadly this
variety is going to cause many headaches when deciding a Side deck, as
the good decks the opponent could be playing is just... so much more
diverse now. I cannot wait to see the first YCS and which comes out on
top, a defined meta deck, or a deck that can run skill drain to ruin the
day of the meta decks, as it almost completely cripples them.

Anyways, thats my article, hoped you like it.
-Quincy signing off.

descriptionHow Did the March 2012 Banlist Affect the Meta? EmptyRe: How Did the March 2012 Banlist Affect the Meta?

more_horiz
Agents beat inzekts, not the other way around....

You should've gotten approval from an admin first for your article too.

descriptionHow Did the March 2012 Banlist Affect the Meta? EmptyRe: How Did the March 2012 Banlist Affect the Meta?

more_horiz
I did, got approval from amy.

more_horiz
yep he got my approval.

more_horiz
Ok, look here. Everyone is pissed because they didn't touch Inzektors. Konami isn't doing this for our sake. Whatever's bringing in the cash, dude. Inzektors were just realeased. People are buying them because they're so powerful. Why would Konami hit them and lose all of the money they're making off of them?

more_horiz
Exactly^

Konami - Money

more_horiz
Nova Flare wrote:
Ok, look here. Everyone is pissed because they didn't touch Inzektors. Konami isn't doing this for our sake. Whatever's bringing in the cash, dude. Inzektors were just realeased. People are buying them because they're so powerful. Why would Konami hit them and lose all of the money they're making off of them?

As I said, they always leave things around a format or two. There have been exceptions, yes, but if Konami was willing to let Froggy FTK take World, they are not going to touch Inzektors this early, especially when they have some serious competition in the form of Wind-Up's and Rabbits. Konami knows what they are doing, and it is not solely for the sake of their wallets that they do all of this.

more_horiz
You forgot to mention the comeback of Dark Armed Dragon. Oh Shit

more_horiz
note that this article is more based on ygo than money. its all money yea we all know that, no body is so blind. but, no one really tries to see in the game and try to figure out what konami is going game-wise. as potus said its not all money, they think every format out very well for the game itself too. can't you see old decks coming back step by step? if you remember there were times when competitions were with only one deck dominating. now they give power to decks they need money from but they also give chance to some other decks and every format they increase that number. LS coming back slowly, with E-tele obviously DaD is knocking at the door again and next format we might even see something like 3rd Destiny Draw again. every time we cry and want that konami hurts the best decks, konami does mostly otherwise, they just bring new powerful decks and touch only slightly last ones keeping them in play too. plants are exception because they were at top for a very long time. if they hurt one deck a bit more then after few format they bring it back like they do now with LS (first JD at 3 and lumina at 2, even for twilight there is tragoedia at 2x etc) samurais get their card back and many other cards are brought back from banlist like CoTH and now torrential hitting surprisingly 2x. all this results in more decks being competitive.

dont just look at money try to look a bit at game too Wink

more_horiz
Yeah, if i wanted to discuss the money aspect the article would be this:

Konami likes money, new broken cards = more money spent, gets rid of old cards to have fully new card decks replace old decks, PROFIT. And who really wanna read that line.

more_horiz
TDP's long ass rant coming up, so be aware ... lol.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Now the thing is with all banlists and start of new formats ( especially march formats imo ). Is that they seem to be unbalanced in the early stages of the format, mainly due to the new released stuff around January and February, this has always been the case. Now obviously Konami could just hit those releases, but why would they do that ( not looking at the money motive here ).

They simply do that because Inzektors ( for example ) have not been around long enough to tell if they are indeed as broken or OP'd as most of the players are claiming them to be, seeing the hype for things quickly takes over and sorta like controls the game for a period of time ( just take a look back at Dark Worlds ). To illustrate my theory better or more in depth, we all jumped to Dark Worlds when they came out in September and we all were like oh no, this stuff is OP. But what do ya know, what has Dark Worlds accomplished ( in terms of winning or topping large events )?, not that much. While in fact the hype was large enough to think they would win a few large events.

Same thing goes for Inzektors in my honest opinion, seeing the most recent YCS, Inzektors only got to like top 16 or 32 I believe. While a lot of those decks entered the event. So why didn't it won the event or more Inzektor decks at the top, the answer is rather simple. Since we as players have now become familair with them and that also means we are better prepared for them. So in essence its all in our hands to control the game with the limitations Konami sets each format ( as always though ).

Now if we look closer to the current meta, you will see that the new released stuff is hyped up and the "old" meta falls a bit short ( Chaos builds, Plants ( because they got hammered ) TG ( still a rogue deck ). Now Rabbits are still live and kicking, in fact they are meta, but still not OP as well. Now we have newer ways of facing them with the comeback of Six Samurai's ( they will come, trust me ) so all in all, I do believe Konami has done a good job at forming this banlist and pushing the format into this direction. Although I do not hope to see more archetype love, what I mean by that is that for the last year or so the only decks that really preformed well have been archetype releases ( like DW's, Wind-ups, Inzektors we all know them lol ). So thats my only hope, that thy would come and restore some balance between archetypes, but having said that I think thats only wishful thinking.

On the actualy article, good job at expressing your thoughts, seeing they were clear. However you could have gotten a little more in depth into the actual deck changes for the meta that has been touched and untouched. In terms of adapting to the new meta ( Inzektors and Wind-up ) and that sort of stuff, seeing that is still the same impact of the banlist.

more_horiz
i lke it. it makes sense and isnt about money

nice job doing the article like How Did the March 2012 Banlist Affect the Meta? 1112170017

more_horiz
The article actually seemed very imcomplete. It didnt really cover anything the massess hadn't already known for two weeks compared tohe evaluations on ARG or TCG player. It had the feel of something going for an entirely entertaining aspect rather than informative, leaving a lot of stuff on the analysis a lot to be desired. Where as TDP pretty much finished the job on summing up the here and now.

The TCG and OCG comparison was lacking in knowledge. Rabbit is just as much as a threat over there as it is here, especially since they have all the better Rank 4s. It also wouldve been nice, if you further elaborated on all our TCG exclusives that make the game so different and broken to the point where its like we have an entirely different game than the OCG.

Product placement, and the aim of the game they are trying to promote should have been in here. Especially since its national season, and they always find some way to screw it up entirely. Mentioning things post GAOV, and how it promotes the same format, especially since its already out in the OCG wouldve been helpful. Then theres ROTD which is a green pack so self explanatory. Not to mention them trying to promote sealed drafts, and pushing more stuff in Hidden Aresnal 6. Since they plan product release months to even a year in advance to accomplish their aim. Speaking about How Konami loves money isnt enough cause that is a bit obvious and didnt really go into the economic aspect other than that like say the secondary market.

The game actually has been sped up before due to lists, because of things like how they release products all over the world. And sadly it is a tad difficult to see anything skill drain related doing well at Long beach due to the shock factor being gone, and people know what to expect. On that too much diversity in mix with more power cards than ever make the options wider. However it IS yugioh so anything can happen and the format will be stale until may anyway.

Regarding the topic at hand, the article should have been much better. However it does put the perspective of the format into a nutshell.

more_horiz
Rabbits are by no means as powerful over in the OCG. No Tour Guide, so the only way to effectively grab Rabbit is to draw him. No Dollka, either.

more_horiz
What format are you looking at? Rabbit, specifically the verz version is one of the most dominant decks at the moment in OCG. With inzektors doing better than that, as inzektors are arguably the best deck in the OCG right now overall. As well as hieroglyphics, despite their inconsistency issues, are also one of the best decks. Back to rabbit, again i mentioned this before: No duh they lack all the TCG exclusives that define our format to the point where its different game, however that doesnt stop what rabbit does. It still has one of the most effective turn 1 setups in the game right now, as well as have better rank 4s. it does the same thing as it does in the TCG, difference being its more represented here for obvious reasons. however they are still top decks, and the metagame is different due to mechanics and product release..

more_horiz
Probability is probability. You can't spam Rabbit if you can't get Rabbit.

more_horiz
Once again: Duh.

That doesnt change: What Rabbit does, What laggia does, what the format does., and how well both decks do in their respective meta statically speaking in general.

more_horiz
Probability of a TCG Rabbit deck (with Tour and Gold Sarc) getting Rabbit first turn: 54.98%
Probability of an OCG Rabbit deck (no Tour, no Gold Sarc) getting Rabbit first turn: 39.43%
Of course, the probability of an OCG deck getting Rabbit can increase by 2.71% if they main three Upstarts, but that is against a 4.93% increase if a TCG deck ran triple Upstart.

more_horiz
Potus, what reborn is trying to tell you ( at least thats my understanding of it ). Is that you missed out going in depth on the difference between the 2 games ( TCG and OCg ). As en example Reborn threw the Rabbit out in the open, seeing you have ben focussing on the hype stuff rather then really analizing the format and the changes and with that the overall impact of it on the game.

Now I am not going to stand here and say that I or Reborn knows YGO better, seeing the game is quite complex and finding out the klogic behind Konami's decissions is rather challenging and cannot be done lol, but what I am saying and probably what Reborn is saying as well, is that you could have done a better job if you had gotten past the hype changes and looked more into the overall impact of the banlist.

Still I have to say to make an article or re-view of a banlist within a week or so after its release is challenging ( I know, trust me ) and you have done a nice job at providing DA with a semi-informative article that is entertaining ( which itself shows talent ).

more_horiz
The fact is, we will not know how the new banlist truly affected the meta until a couple major tourneys get put in the recordbooks. So until then, it really is speculation...

more_horiz
If anything, the netdecking idiots who play to win and not for fun will fly in the meta breeze.

Considering how wabbitz,inzektors,and wind-ups were untouched, these people will have no problem. This is a once in a lifetime kind of thing, a banlist that doesn't hammer off the current meta. Regarldless the tour guide and rabbit xyz-summon-in-one-turn strategy will not die, potus' statistics aren't changing anything. The evidence of absence is not the absence of evidence.

more_horiz
The_Dutch_Prince wrote:
Potus, what reborn is trying to tell you ( at least thats my understanding of it ). Is that you missed out going in depth on the difference between the 2 games ( TCG and OCg ). As en example Reborn threw the Rabbit out in the open, seeing you have ben focussing on the hype stuff rather then really analizing the format and the changes and with that the overall impact of it on the game.
Now I am not going to stand here and say that I or Reborn knows YGO better, seeing the game is quite complex and finding out the klogic behind Konami's decissions is rather challenging and cannot be done lol, but what I am saying and probably what Reborn is saying as well, is that you could have done a better job if you had gotten past the hype changes and looked more into the overall impact of the banlist.
Still I have to say to make an article or re-view of a banlist within a week or so after its release is challenging ( I know, trust me ) and you have done a nice job at providing DA with a semi-informative article that is entertaining ( which itself shows talent ).

Wait, are you mixing me up with the guy who wrote the article? I have just been the guy with the glasses and calculator doing math...
._.

more_horiz
Potus Mat wrote:
The_Dutch_Prince wrote:

Wait, are you mixing me up with the guy who wrote the article? I have just been the guy with the glasses and calculator doing math...
._.
Don't waste your time.

more_horiz
The_Dutch_Prince wrote:

As far as the article goes yes this is what i was trying to say.

As far as rabbit place in meta goes what im trying to say is that it is the most represented deck in the TCG at the moment in the top 3. While Rabbit in the OCG, is also in the top 3, but Inzektors is overall the most represented deck right now. Their placing is not too different, and their dominance is similar in both regions despite us having different support at the moment (Verz, Rank 4s, Tour Guide). Thats all.

ive also said mentioned this before, that as long as people have money and want to win the game will still be active despite how bad the format is. Which doesnt make too much sense, considering the prize support is awful, and its not exactly the best mind set to go on. Of course usually the better player will win, but theres just so much crazy between now and nats.

Usually i can say that there is some hidden agenda with the list or whatever but i honestly feel they just screwed up overall. Even post GAOV we get more things that just contribute to the format. Im really on the fence about attending Philly and Nationals this year because it doesnt seem worth it. Not to mention the amount of decks that are playable this summer that pretty much do similar things.

more_horiz
They did the same when they boosted Samurai Deck once, it was sacky just the same as Rabbits and Inzektors in this foramt, one foramt latter Samurai got a major hit and lost like 30% of their sacking powers (am not a math guy, nor wearing glasses ._.) lol

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply