Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

descriptionYour Ideal deck type? EmptyYour Ideal deck type?

more_horiz
So I was browsing the subreddit for yugioh and came across this little gem and I thought it'd share with everyone: http://www.reddit.com/r/yugioh/comments/205vec/finding_your_ideal_deck_type_wall_of_text

With the everchanging formats it can be tough to decide on what deck to run.

But after having a read of this It became crystal clear to me why certain people gravitate to certain deck types. Hopefully it helps you figure out what playstyles suit you if you haven't done so already. ^^

Last edited by Dark Duelist Soul on Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

descriptionYour Ideal deck type? EmptyRe: Your Ideal deck type?

more_horiz
I'm an aggro player, I always hated everything else

more_horiz
Any kind of HERO deck is for my dumb ass

more_horiz
I haven't read the reddit post; however, I'm sure am a 'Control' type of a player, if there is any of that in that post.

descriptionYour Ideal deck type? EmptyDefault Title

more_horiz
I find that that thread applies less to today's meta, as it was written almost a year ago.

What do we have now that the past didn't have? Sylvans, Shaddolls, Qliphorts, BA, etc. Granted, they each have a play style, but when you really look at the cards and compare them, that's the only difference. They all have the same effect, with simply a different way of activating said effect.

Sylvan Shroom, Shaddoll Dragon, Qliphort Helix all destroy an S/T, except it's made so that it works with the archetype.
Sylvan Hermitree, Shaddoll Beast, Qliphort Assembler all allow you to draw cards, except it's made so that it works with the archetype.

Those are just a few examples. You could blame Konami for making bland archetypes, but you could also blame the player base for not being more adventurous with their card choices.

My ideal deck would be something flexible and incredibly combo based, where I'm able to add many different card techs into the decklist and run, pretty much close to, a highlander build, where there are rarely ever more than 3~4 triples of a card, a few doubles and many singles. Decks like that are interesting to me, because there's a lot to say about them and every card has some sort of relation with another. I would also like for something like this to not be an archetype and be something where I make my OWN combos without having all the plays premade for me. Dino Rabbit, though a bit linear, was a nice example of a non-archetype deck which worked well. If only it had more combos.

However, when I look at the decks nowadays, it's mostly just 3x of everything and a few staples here and there. Maybe one tech. One.

Granted, this has almost always been the case for this game, and I would not normally make such a big deal out of it, but when I've seen deck profiles of people who have won or come top #whatever in a tournament and they're, quite literally, like: "I run 3x of this because... it's a good card. Then I, err-... run 3x of this, because it's needed, I tried running 2x but I didn't like it and everyone else runs 3x."

You're playing your own deck, ffs, at least be able to explain why you run a certain card and why you run it in 1x/2x/3x. Saying that it's good or that it's essential to the deck or that it combos with one or two other cards is self explanatory. This is one of the other reasons why I'm not a fan of looking at decks that I consider bland. The other reason is because of the sheer number of times I've seen almost the exact same decklist. Look at a tournament, take a Nekroz decklist, and I can guarantee that at least 90% of the cards would be the same for all other Nekroz decklists in that tournament.

People aren't being open minded enough when it comes to this game, and they just slot themselves in the same category as the majority. Some elements mentioned in that thread exist in todays meta, but they're incredibly dumbed down, in my opinion.

It's probably consistent and you probably win a lot by playing a deck like that, but I honestly wonder how anyone can find it fun. Part of this game's experience is from deck building and it's like that experience is missing from a lot of people.

Just my input.

more_horiz
I wasn't going to read Ali's post, but I ended up reading all of it lol

I'm not sure what the reddit post said, but i like what Ali said, so that works for me.

Only thing I'd disagree with the the deck choice. When you're paying hundreds of dollars you would want something that has a chance of winning a tournament, that's why everyone at tournaments play the same thing, if not slightly different. When you play online, it's different. You could play any deck you want and you won't even have to worry about winning or losing, that's why people tend to play a lot of other decks online.

In real life you'd want to win and not just summon your favorite card and then get OTKed next turn. You're paying money, better spend it on something that win games.

more_horiz
Anzo ò_ó wrote:
I haven't read the reddit post; however, I'm sure am a 'Control' type of a player, if there is any of that in that post.

As am I. I'm very sadistic when it comes to yugioh

more_horiz
But I hate those fuckers, and I'm not sure what this deck is though
https://i.imgur.com/rKNpRpP.png

more_horiz
BlackWarGreymon wrote:
But I hate those fuckers, and I'm not sure what this deck is though
https://i.imgur.com/rKNpRpP.png

You know what's good boi <3

more_horiz
Anzo ò_ó wrote:
I wasn't going to read Ali's post, but I ended up reading all of it lol

I'm not sure what the reddit post said, but i like what Ali said, so that works for me.

Only thing I'd disagree with the the deck choice. When you're paying hundreds of dollars you would want something that has a chance of winning a tournament, that's why everyone at tournaments play the same thing, if not slightly different. When you play online, it's different. You could play any deck you want and you won't even have to worry about winning or losing, that's why people tend to play a lot of other decks online.

In real life you'd want to win and not just summon your favorite card and then get OTKed next turn. You're paying money, better spend it on something that win games.

It's quite a catchy post I mean liking it is pretty much the reason I came on now Your Ideal deck type? 1550756652
And it's not THAT hard to win with a...let's say under the radar deck but everyone's being copycats and that's it(And by the way you are wrong about online games get on DN right now and join 5 1000+ games,You find that 9/10 of those people are playing meta(You have my support the lonely meta-hater fellow!))

Again nice input Ali!

more_horiz
Good to see this got some people thinking (even if Ali seems to be the only one to have read the actual reddit post).

It's a fair point to say that the original post I linked is not so much oriented for metagamers. Partially because almost all of them exclusively run the deck that's objectively considered the best, or at least what they subjectively feel is the best deck.

People copying stuff is nothing new, competitive complacency is a very real thing.. People go with what has proven to work in a competitive environment, what is new however (new being a relative term because it's been going on for a couple of years now) is the fact that Konami has shifted its focus from releasing really powerful cards to releasing really powerful Archetypes.

Which is rather unfortunate considering not many of them really allow you to consistently do the essential function of those Archetypes while allowing room for techs so you can make your build.. Yours! For the lack of a better term.

So its a two way street really. Konami makes certain archetypes so powerful upon initial release that not much thought is needed to optimise them and on the other hand the competitive player base goes with what's proved to win, because they're competitive and like to win!

Anyway that could be its own topic of discussion.

As for me, I'm a textbook Control Freak, I favour games that are a progressive struggle for advantage (either by the numbers or by the tempo of the game) and I have some disdain at the concept of Stun based decks as they're solely built to keep the game of yugioh from being played. But that doesn't stop me using it as a secondary strategy. 

My ideal deck would be something similar to Goat Control or HAT. while the cards in those decks on their own aren't completely busted like the old 'Cookie Cutter'/yata chaos decks when but all the parts of the deck interact with each other to help you progressively amass advantage and control the duel. Something where there isn't a pre set strategy or blueprint, allowing me to make my own plays and react to my opponents plays accordingly to gradually dictate the tempo of the game.

more_horiz
Dark Duelist Soul wrote:
Good to see this got some people thinking (even if Ali seems to be the only one to have read the actual reddit post).

It's a fair point to say that the original post I linked is not so much oriented for metagamers. Partially because almost all of them exclusively run the deck that's objectively considered the best, or at least what they subjectively feel is the best deck.

People copying stuff is nothing new, competitive complacency is a very real thing.. People go with what has proven to work in a competitive environment, what is new however (new being a relative term because it's been going on for a couple of years now) is the fact that Konami has shifted its focus from releasing really powerful cards to releasing really powerful Archetypes.

Which is rather unfortunate considering not many of them really allow you to consistently do the essential function of those Archetypes while allowing room for techs so you can make your build.. Yours! For the lack of a better term.

So its a two way street really. Konami makes certain archetypes so powerful upon initial release that not much thought is needed to optimise them and on the other hand the competitive player base goes with what's proved to win, because they're competitive and like to win!

Anyway that could be its own topic of discussion.

As for me, I'm a textbook Control Freak, I favour games that are a progressive struggle for advantage (either by the numbers or by the tempo of the game) and I have some disdain at the concept of Stun based decks as they're solely built to keep the game of yugioh from being played. But that doesn't stop me using it as a secondary strategy. 

My ideal deck would be something similar to Goat Control or HAT. while the cards in those decks on their own aren't completely busted like the old 'Cookie Cutter'/yata chaos decks when but all the parts of the deck interact with each other to help you progressively amass advantage and control the duel. Something where there isn't a pre set strategy or blueprint, allowing me to make my own plays and react to my opponents plays accordingly to gradually dictate the tempo of the game.

k. Your Ideal deck type? 1151057309

more_horiz
I am the control type guy but I always leave an OTK option viable.

more_horiz
Anzo ò_ó wrote:

k. Your Ideal deck type? 1151057309

k den.

Dun derail this pls anzo-sama D:

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply