Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

descriptionInherent Summons EmptyInherent Summons

more_horiz
I always hear people talk about Thunder King Rai-oh and Evolsaur Laggia and how they can negate something called Inherent Summons,

I really want to know more about what the difference is between an Inherent Summon and other types of special summons. From the terminology I hear thrown about the place, I generally hear two types of summons: Inherent Summons and Effects that Summon.

My basic knowledge of Inherent Summons are basically Synchro Summoning and XYZ Summoning and Effects that Summon are something like Monster Reborn and Call of the Haunted.

My main question is what are other examples of Inherent Summons and Effects that Summon that are most common in the current and maybe upcoming format.

descriptionInherent Summons EmptyRe: Inherent Summons

more_horiz
Inherent special summons are summons that are not special summons through effects. These are summons like Chaos Sorcerer, any Xyz or Synchro summon, and there are several that also occur from the deck (Dark Sage) and graveyard (can't think of any at the moment). They do not start chains, and only occur from the hand unless otherwise specifically stated (like Dark Sage). They're also usually summoned through said condition, like a cost, overlaying materials for an Xyz summon, ect.

more_horiz
a rule of thumb is: if a monster special summons itself then its inherent

more_horiz
Incorrect, Stackz.

Multiple new cards like High Priestess of Prophecy, Mermails Abyssmegalo and Mermail Abyssleed start a chain in the hand (you can notice that by reading and then seeing that the text is written like this: [...]; Special Summon this card from your hand).

Many cards, however, do not, such as Cyber Dragon (Cyber Dragon was even limited for this ability some formats ago), Chaos Sorcerer, Dark Armed Dragon, Black Luster Soldier, Grapha, Dragon Lord of the Dark World (which is Danica's example for summoning inherently from the graveyard alongside Machina Fortress).

The other types of Inherent Summons are all Synchro/Xyz Summons performed by sending the appropriate materials from your field to the graveyard/overlaying appropriate materials (there are other cards which directly summon a Synchro/Xyz Monster from the Extra Deck, like Bahamut Shark, Urgent Tuning and Shooting Quasar Dragon which are all External Summkns), alongside so-called "Contact Fusions", like it happens when summoning Gladiator Beast Gyzarus, Chimeratech Fortress Dragon or Armityle, the Chaos Phantom.

Ritual and Fusion Summons are most definitely guaranteed to be External Summons (unless you're Contact Fusioning, like mentioned above).

Other ways to externally Summon a monster(s) are card effects like Rescue Rabbit, A Hero Lives, Overload Fusion, Monster Reborn, Abyss-Sphere and so on.

To generalize: everything that starts a Chain is an External Summon (only exception for this is Formula Synchron in the OCG, there, its effect which Special Summons causes an Inherent Summon which could be negated by Thunder King Rai-Oh [assuming it hasn't missed the timing like it usually occurs when an effect at Chain Link 2 resolves] or Evolzar Laggia).
Everything that doesn't start a chain (recognised by either a colon [ : ] or a semi-colon [ ; ] in the part of the effect which would summon the card) is Inherent.
Newer cards include an additional way to recognize Inherent Summons, which is by including "(from your hand)" and "(from your graveyard)" to the card text.

Hope I helped you.

more_horiz
Irate pretty much got it right on the nail.

However before this gets locked I would like to know if you have anymore questions about Inherent Summons? Or even External Summons? Or is something not clear to you that has been stated already but you just don't understand it?

more_horiz
Alright its been three days with no reply.

So, locked~

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply