Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

An In-Depth Deckbuilder’s Guide

power_settings_newLogin to reply
+17
Sam
MUFC
Best Duelist
Sousuke Aizen
doomthrust
Shadow The Hedgehog
Novastar
Heatdragon
Luffy
dragonknight
Kira Amadeus
Neji Hyuga
L
Assassin
EJ
Jin Kazama
Nekofjung
21 posters

descriptionAn In-Depth Deckbuilder’s Guide EmptyAn In-Depth Deckbuilder’s Guide

more_horiz
Hi this is nekofjung and I’m the newest member to the DA Article Team. Today I will be discussing deck building.

This is an in-depth, long-winded guide entailing every step in how to put together a deck that will work strategically, efficiently, and effectively. If you are looking for a short little how-to guide, this is the wrong thing to read. This will take time to read, but it should make anyone who is not already a master deck builder into a much better deck builder if you are willing to take the time and pay attention. That being said, I hope you enjoy this guide and that you are able to use it and eventually make decks that win you duels.

Table of Contents:

I. Examining the Meta
II. Choosing a General Strategy
III. Do Your Research and Make it New
IV. Choosing an Appropriate Ratio
V. Focus! Focus! Focus!
VI. Toss it All in, then Thin to Win
VII. Side Decking – The Ultimate Proof of a Good Duelist
VIII. Test it Properly

I. Examining the Meta

The first thing you should do when making your deck is to examine what cards are on the ban list, what cards are available to be used, and what the most popular decks are. The meta differs greatly depending on these circumstances. For example, the KCVDS meta greatly differs from the Tournament IRL meta which greatly differs from the DMU meta.

For example, because KCVDS has a different selection of cards than what you get in real life, this affects many aspects of the game. Missing Allure of Darkness and Trade-In means less to fear in the way of decks being able to search through half the deck before summoning a bunch of monsters, clearing the field, and swinging for an OTK. Missing entire sets means you don’t need to fear Crystal Beasts, Arcana Forces, Morphtronics, and even more importantly, Lightsworn. In real life, you must create your deck with the knowledge that it could potentially face those cards.

Now, although I say you could face those cards, it doesn’t mean you will this is where you need to understand which decks are the most powerful with the ban list being used. Sometimes when people make tournaments, they make the competitors use special ban lists as well and this is a crucial piece to be taken into account when deciding what deck you wish to create. Knowing what it is most likely you will be up against will tell you both what types of decks are usable in the meta, as well as whether you should main deck or side deck particular cards in order to counter the most powerful deck(s) of the meta. Even if you are going to be using a deck that is very popular and favored by the meta you still must counter the most popular decks and be ready if you end up with a mirror match to have a method to win that your opponent does not have. Let’s make an example. During the previous meta, TeleDAD decks were the decks to beat. They won a majority of the tournaments. People knew in theory how to counter a TeleDAD deck by using cards like Thunder King Rai-Oh and Royal Oppression to stop all of the special summoning that TeleDAD decks were capable of, and therefore you could see people siding or maining those cards in most tournament decks. However, for the TeleDAD mirror matches, more often than not it was the people willing to put Royal Oppression into their TeleDAD deck that became the victors of these matches, because even though Royal Oppression can potentially hurt both players in a TeleDAD mirror match, being the one who decides when it gets flipped face up onto the field can mean the game. I will go over more of this in section VII which deals with how to side deck properly.

For the purposes of having a continuing example throughout the guide, I shall use an example of creating a deck for a KCVDS tournament that uses only the KCVDS ban list.

When looking at the KCVDS meta, you can see a few top decks to watch out for. The Dark Gaia OTK is a favorite in KCVDS, as are Monarchs, Gadgets, Zombies, E Heroes, Dragons and various DAD decks. If we analyze this, we can see decks that:
1. Rely heavily on Special Summons: Dark Gaia OTK, Zombies, E Heroes, Dragons, DAD
2. Have multiple large beatsticks: Dark Gaia OTK, Zombies, Monarchs, E Heroes, Dragons
3. Rely on tribute summoning: Monarchs
4. Have lots of monster control: Monarchs, Gadgets, E Heroes, DAD
5. Have lots of spell/trap control: Monarchs (some), Gadgets, Dragons, DAD
6. Rely heavily on monster effects: Dark Gaia, Monarchs, Zombies, DAD
7. Rely heavily on spells: Dark Gaia OTK, Gadgets, E Heroes, DAD
8. Rely heavily on traps: Gadgets
9. Move at a fast pace: Dark Gaia OTK, Zombies, DAD
10. Clear the field then swing to win: Dark Gaia OTK, Zombies, E Heroes, Dragons, DAD
11. Control the duel well: Monarchs, Gadgets, DAD
Now, looking at these aspects it is clear that certain deck-types will not cut it in a tournament where everyone can expect to see these deck-types. For this example, rather than make a deck that goes along with the meta, I shall instead make an anti-meta deck based on countering the flaws in the meta. When looking at this list, you can see that many decks rely on being able to special summon monsters to the field. Therefore, Royal Oppression and Thunder King Rai-Oh are good card choices. Many decks have multiple large beatsticks, so decks that rely on getting out a really large monster are going to be disappointed when the opponent has more than 1 large monster. Many decks in the meta do a good job of destroying your monsters, so you cannot be too soft on the number of monsters you choose to put in your deck. Many decks rely heavily on monster effects, so Skill Drain and Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror are good card choices. Many decks have a hefty number of spell cards so you need a way to stop the engine from continuing. Therefore, using chainable spell and trap cards as well as some negation is important. However, for trap cards note that they aren’t the backbone of very many decks, so cards like Jinzo and Royal Decree may end up being wasted. Because many of the meta decks like to move at a fast pace, an anti-meta deck should have cards that will slow the duel down and make it last more than 5-10 turns (this does not mean stall). Many of the meta decks also use a “clear the field and swing” approach to winning, so this means you need to have cards like Solemn Judgment that can shut down the opponent’s ability to clear your field easily. This is also another reason to run more chainable traps. These are all things to keep in mind when you go to create your deck.

So we now know what the meta is and how it affects what deck we should build. Let’s now move on to the next step – deciding on a strategy!

II. Choosing a General Strategy

At this point, we now know what we are looking at going up against, so it is time to pick which general deck-type we are going to be using. The general strategy or deck-type consists of a collection of cards that have synergy with one another and that often come as part of a set of cards. Examples of different deck-types can be found by searching through forums, or for a very generalized idea of different deck-types you can visit the Wikipedia Yugioh page:
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Deck_Types:_A-C
This site has an A to Z listing of many of the well-known deck-types with some discussion of the purpose of each deck-type.

In the case of the continuing example of a KCVDS tournament using the KCVDS ban list, a worthwhile deck-type would be able to slow down the game while being able to deal with the monster effects, special summons, and beatsticks of the meta. Therefore, what I will be discussing is a general anti-meta Skill Drain beatdown strategy. Of course, this is not the only strategy that can face off against the meta decks, but since it is only possible to give 1 example at a time, this is the one I have chosen to use. The general strategy behind a Skill Drain Beatdown Deck is to quickly place Skill Drain on the field and then use monsters who benefit from having their effects negated or another concept would be to use all Normal monsters and then use Normal monster support cards like Heart of the Underdog and Birthright. I will be opting for the Effect monsters on the basis that if Skill Drain is not on the field or is destroyed by the opponent, the Effect monsters stand a better chance alone than do the Normal monsters.

Once you have chosen a general strategy be it Big City, Monarchs, Six Samurai, Lightsworn, TeleDAD, or any of the hundreds of other general strategies possible in Yugioh, it is time to make sure that you thoroughly understand the strategy you will be using. This means doing some homework on what your strategy is supposed to accomplish as well as finding your win condition and deciding which combos you want to try using in your deck.

Last edited by nekofjung on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:44 am; edited 2 times in total

descriptionAn In-Depth Deckbuilder’s Guide EmptyRe: An In-Depth Deckbuilder’s Guide

more_horiz
III. Do Your Research and Make it New

You now have decided on a deck-type so it is time to investigate. Look through forums and web sites like Pojo and Battle City and search for your deck-type. You will find many other people who have made decks based on your same general strategy, so look at their builds and find out what kind of combos they use. If you see a build you find particularly interesting or if you have a question about the build you can always send a PM to the deck-maker to ask why a particular card was included in his/her deck. If the player does not respond back, then you can ask around until you have a good idea of what the deck builder was thinking.

Another great place to look for tips on combos is, again, Wikipedia. In Google you can type in “wikia yugioh [card name]” and it will give you a site that describes the card you were looking for. If you go to the “Tips” link for that card you will find a site with all of the combos that people have submitted for that card, thus allowing you to pick and choose what combos from there that you like. Another place to look on Wikipedia is the deck-type listing that I posted earlier in this guide in Section II. Clicking on the deck-type that you want to build will give you more information on the general strategy of the deck as well as some combos that the deck is capable of.

Now, you have designed a list of combos that you feel would work very well in your deck type. You should now pick a group of combos to use in your deck. These combos should not be picked randomly. Pick combos that can use the same cards. Pick combos where one combo makes another combo even stronger. Do not bother with combos that are difficult to pull off because it often isn’t worthwhile in the long run. You want combos that you can use easily and consistently in every duel. Furthermore, make sure that the individual cards in the combo can stand alone in your deck. If a card is only good when it is in a combo with another card then that is bad for you because it damages the consistency of your deck. You want your deck to have cards where if you have to top deck a card to save your life that there are as few bad cards that could pop up as possible. Let’s head over now to the continuing example of the Skill Drain Beatdown deck for a KCVDS tournament.

After looking up the various combos that I can use for a Skill Drain Beatdown deck, I’ve decided that I like the following combos:
God Beastking Barbaros + Skill Drain
Exiled Force + Skill Drain
Chainsaw Insect + Skill Drain
A Cat of Ill Omen + Mask of Darkness + Skill Drain
Divine Wrath + Skill Drain
Note how even without Skill Drain, Barbaros is still a 1900 ATK beatstick who can be tribute summoned using 3 tributes for an awesome effect. Exiled Force still has his same effect. Chainsaw Insect is still a 2400 ATK beatstick for no tributes although he’ll give your opponent a +1 every time he battles. Mask of Darkness can be used to find cards other than Skill Drain from your graveyard.

When you are picking the combos you want to use, also keep in mind that you should never just copy/paste a deck that someone else has been using. You want to make your deck your own. That way, it will aid your personality and, importantly, it will make your opponent continue to guess what your next move will be. The worst possible situation in a duel is for your opponent to never be surprised by a move you have made or a card you have used. While this does not mean you should include crappy cards in your deck, it does mean every now and then having an under-used strategy or combo available to you as a trump card is an important part of building your deck. These, however, are small tweaks to the deck. They should not be so large as to change the focus and strategy of the deck. This can be something as simple as including a 2 or 3 Monarchs in a Zombie deck or running that single copy of Magic Cylinder which normally only goes in Burn decks.

Now we have a general theme to the deck and a few good combos to use. The next step is to understand how best to make the deck flow smoothly.

IV. Choosing an Appropriate Ratio

Every now and then you will run into people who will tell you things like “The perfect ratio for any deck is 20 monsters, 10 spells, and 10 traps. If you deviate too far from this then your deck will suck!” I will say this right now, Ignore those people! Each deck-type has its own strategy and focus and thus has its preferred ratio of monsters to spells to traps. If you are running a deck containing Jinzo and Royal Decree, you wouldn’t want to run 10 traps, because you would be hurting yourself as much or more than you would be hurting your opponent! If you were running a Magical Explosion OTK or a Diamond Dude Turbo deck you wouldn’t limit yourself to only using 10 spell cards! If you were running a deck like Gladiator Beasts and you wanted most of your monsters to remain in your deck, then you wouldn’t run 20 monsters! I hope you get the point that I am trying to make, which is that the ratio of the cards in your deck is dependent upon the deck’s own, personal strategy.

Heading over to the continuing example of the Skill Drain Beatdown deck for a KCVDS tournament, we can note a couple things about how the ratio should look.
1. The meta decks have a lot of monster control so having too few monsters could result in a difficulty in finding monsters later on in the duel. Therefore, the total monster count should probably remain above 18.
2. The meta decks do not contain much in the way of traps typically, so probably you will not be running into cards like Jinzo or Royal Decree very often if at all. Therefore, you can afford to add in perhaps a few more trap cards than you might if you were expecting to face Jinzo and Royal Decree.
3. Since monsters will not have their effects due to Skill Drain and Divine Wrath, there will be less of a need for monster destruction spells and traps.

After having thought out what an appropriate ratio for your deck should be, it is now time to focus your deck so that all cards in your deck go toward supporting the overall goals of your strategy.

V. Focus! Focus! Focus!

Focusing your deck means not putting any cards into your deck that do not serve a specific purpose. This is my #1 rule for deck-building!

#1 RULE: IF YOU ARE ASKED WHY YOU HAVE DECIDED TO PUT A SPECIFIC CARD IN YOUR DECK, YOU MUST BE ABLE TO REPLY WITH A RESPONSE THAT IN SOME WAY SHOWS THAT THE CARD SUPPORTS THE GENERAL STRATEGY FOR THE DECK. IF YOU CANNOT DO THIS THEN THE CARD DOES NOT BELONG IN YOUR DECK!

Did you catch that? I don’t think I can make that any clearer. All cards in your deck whether they are monsters, spells, or traps must support your overall strategy in some way! There is no reason to include a card in your deck, even if it is a powerful card, if it does not pertain to your strategy! This is the shortest section of this guide and is also quite probably the most important section of this guide!

descriptionAn In-Depth Deckbuilder’s Guide EmptyRe: An In-Depth Deckbuilder’s Guide

more_horiz
VI. Toss it All in, then Thin to Win!

In 98% of all cases, a good deck has a total card count of 40 or 41 cards. The ONLY big exception to this rule is found in Gadgets decks. This is because for Gadget decks you modify the size of the deck so that mathematically you have the greatest chance of drawing exactly 1 Gadget in your starting hand. For Gadget decks running 6 Gadgets, that number is 44 to 45 cards. For Gadget decks running 9 Gadgets, that number is 48 to 50 cards. However, the general rule of thumb for any non-Gadget deck is that you should have 40 or 41 cards in the deck. The reason for this is entirely due to consistency. It is a mathematical fact that if you are trying to get certain cards into your hand or onto the field, you will have a higher probability of doing so as the total deck size decreases.

As an example, in this Skill Drain deck I would most prefer to have a Skill Drain or a copy of A Cat of Ill Omen in my starting hand (which could then search for Skill Drain early on). If I have 3 copies of Skill Drain and 2 copies of A Cat of Ill Omen in my deck, then that is 5 total cards in the deck that are useful to me in my starting hand. If I am using a 40 card deck, the chance that exactly 1 of the cards in my starting hand will be:

(5/40) + (5/39)(5/40) + . . . (5/34)(5/40) = .228 = 22.8%

This does not include the odds that my hand includes 2, 3, 4, or all 5 of the cards I am looking for, but those percent chances will be significantly less and therefore are, for the most part, negligible. However, if I am using a 60 card deck, the chance that exactly 1 of those 5 cards will be in my starting hand becomes:

(5/60) + (5/59)(5/60) + . . . (5/54)(5/60) = .128 = 12.8%

Therefore, instead of having rather than have a nearly 1 in 4 chance of getting 1 of those 5 cards in my starting hand, my odds now drop down by nearly half to a 1 in 8 chance of getting 1 of those 5 cards in my starting hand!

So, I have just proven mathematically that using a smaller deck is almost always better. Now we can finally start putting the cards in the deck. For this part, what you should do is at first do not worry so much about the total number of cards in the deck. Make sure you get every card you desire into the deck, and then once you have everything you want, work on thinning out the deck so that it contains only 40 or 41 cards. If we go back to the continuing example of the Skill Drain Beatdown Deck in the KCVDS tournament, here is what I would initially do:

First, I’d start with a monster lineup. Unless I already know that I only want a certain number of a monster or if the monster is limited or semi-limited, I put in 3 copies. So for now it looks like this:

3x God Beastking Barbaros
3x Exiled Force
3x Chainsaw Insect
3x Goblin Attack Force
1x D.D. Warrior Lady
2x Mask of Darkness
2x A Cat of Ill Omen
1x Breaker the Magical Warrior
1x Sangan
3x Raiou (Thunder King Rai Oh’s name on KCVDS)
total = 22

Now for the spell lineup. Again, unless I’m certain that I only want to use a certain number of a spell I put in 3 (unless it is limited or semi-limited). In this case, the lineup looks like this:

3x Reinforcement of the Army
2x The Warrior Returning Alive
1x Heavy Storm
1x Mystical Space Typhoon
2x Lightning Vortex
1x Smashing Ground
3x Shrink
1x Monster Reborn
1x Giant Trunade
total = 15

Now for the trap lineup. This follows the same pattern as monsters and spells. The lineup looks like this at this point:

3x Skill Drain
3x Royal Oppression
1x Torrential Tribute
1x Mirror Force
3x Solemn Judgment
3x Bottomless Trap Hole
1x Crush Card Virus
total = 15

deck total = 52

Now before thinning the deck I must remember Rule #1 from Section V. Therefore, I need to check for any cards that may not be contributing to my strategy. Of the cards I have not already mentioned, since Exiled Force is a Warrior, I have added in Goblin Attack Force and D.D. Warrior Lady in order to have multiple cards to search for with Reinforcement of the Army and The Warrior Returning Alive. Lightning Vortex serves as field control while getting rid of extra copies of Royal Oppression and Skill Drain in my hand. Breaker, MST, Heavy Storm, and Giant Trunade all work as spell and trap control so that rather than only controlling the monsters on the field I am also controlling the spells and traps. This is important if I end up running into Royal Decree. Sangan has 8 targets to search for in the deck and also makes for the 5th Crush Card Virus target in the deck. Raiou and Royal Oppression come all the way from Section I when I noted that many of the meta decks require extensive use of special summons, so this is a way to slow those decks down while adding in a 1900 ATK beatstick. Shrink is in here so that I can take on any large beatsticks my opponent throws at me.

After a closer look, however, since my opponent’s monsters should be weakened by Skill Drain I should not need quite as much monster control as what I had initially added in. Therefore, 1 of the ways I can thin this deck is by getting rid of some of the excess monster destruction cards I had originally included, like Bottomless Trap Hole, Mirror Force, and Smashing Ground. This is also the time when I can get rid of excess copies of cards that I feel may be dead draws if drawn at the wrong time. Therefore, I can get rid of a copy of Royal Oppression, Shrink, The Warrior Returning Alive, Raiou, and Chainsaw Insect. I can also get rid of Giant Trunade since I already have 6 other cards that can deal with spell and trap cards. Additionally, since I will be running 3 copies of Reinforcement of the Army and 2 copies of The Warrior Returning Alive, I can reduce the numbers on some of the warrior monsters in my deck who are now easily searchable. So I can part ways with a copy of Goblin Attack Force. Now the final deck will look like this:

Monsters(19):
3x God Beastking Barbaros
3x Exiled Force
2x Chainsaw Insect
2x Goblin Attack Force
1x D.D. Warrior Lady
2x Mask of Darkness
2x A Cat of Ill Omen
1x Breaker the Magical Warrior
1x Sangan
2x Raiou

Spells(11):
3x Reinforcement of the Army
1x The Warrior Returning Alive
1x Heavy Storm
1x Mystical Space Typhoon
2x Lightning Vortex
2x Shrink
1x Monster Reborn

Traps(10):
3x Skill Drain
2x Royal Oppression
1x Torrential Tribute
3x Solemn Judgment
1x Crush Card Virus

Total = 40 cards

Now, if you’re thinking that this guide is now over, guess again! It is now time to discuss the part of deck building that will win you tournament match duels – the Side Deck!

more_horiz
VII. Side Decking – The Ultimate Proof of a Good Duelist

The side deck is the most important factor of a match duel. The person who does the best job of preparing a side deck and strategically using the side deck is the person who is most likely to win the duel!

There are 2 schools to side decking that you should know of:

1. The Defensive Approach:
In this approach to side decking, the idea is to go back to Section 1 and think about what types of decks you are most likely to play against, and then place cards in your side deck that can completely decimate those decks. As an example, if you think there is a strong chance that you will be playing against a Lightsworn deck at some point, then it is probably a good idea to side cards like Royal Oppression, Thunder King Rai-Oh, Skill Drain, and Light-Imprisoning Mirror. If you think it is likely that you will be facing off against a Gladiator Beast deck at some point then you’ll want to side copies of Threatening Roar, Royal Oppression, and Skill Drain (note how some cards are useful against multiple decks). If you are expecting to see DAD decks and Zombies decks, then Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror, Royal Oppression, Skill Drain, and Thunder King Rai-Oh are all good choices to side. If you think you will be facing off against Monarchs then you may want to side Pulling the Rug. If you think that E Heroes, Six Samurais, and Destiny Hero decks are likely, then maybe even having some copies of Warrior Elimination would do you some good. The point is, again, to evaluate the meta that you are playing in and decide what it is most likely that you will be facing.

2. The Offensive Approach:
Before we start, no this approach does not deal with shouting obscenities at your opponent or cutting up the opponent’s cards. This approach deals with siding into a completely different deck-type! As an example, if you are playing with Gadgets and you already have some copies of Banisher of the Radiance, D.D. Assailant, and D.D. Warrior Lady in your deck, you could put side deck some Monarchs, D.D. Survivors, Dimensional Fissure, and Macro Cosmos and then in game 2 take all the Gadgets out of your deck and basically by swapping out 15 cards switch to a Macro Monarch deck-type. The point of this strategy is to catch your opponent completely off-guard. If your opponent is using the defensive approach, then he will be coming out expecting to have a pretty good read on your strategy and a counter or 2 against it, but if you have just completely shifted gears to a new strategy then your opponent will likely have sided in cards that are now nothing but worthless dead draws!

For the continuing example of this guide of the Skill Drain Beatdown deck in the KCVDS tournament, I’ll be going with the Defensive Approach since there are not many deck-types that this deck could easily side into. Therefore, we need to re-evaluate the KCVDS meta and pick out specific deck-types that you may come across in a KCVDS tournament. After a short brainstorm, the most likely candidates are (as listed in Section 1):

Monarchs, Gadgets, Zombies, E Heroes, Dragons and DAD

To defend against Monarchs, I’ll add in 2 copies of Pulling the Rug. I already have main decked Skill Drain, Raiou and Royal Oppression, but a 3rd copy of Royal Oppression and Raiou in the side deck may be nice to take out if I come up against Zombies, a fusion-oriented E Heroes deck, or a DAD deck. Because I am expecting Zombies and DAD, I’ll add a couple of copies of Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror to my deck. It may hurt a few of my own monsters, but I can also always choose those monsters to be sided out of the deck or I can just be careful about when I decide to activate Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror. In case I end up fighting against some form of Stall or Burn deck, having some extra spell/trap control may be useful, so I’ll place that Giant Trunade from before into the side deck along with a couple copies of Mobius the Frost Monarch. Also, in case I come up against E Heroes or a Destiny DAD deck, I’ll add in 2 copies of Warrior Elimination. I’m also going to add 2 copies of Dragon Capture Jar on the off-chance that I go up against a Dragon deck, although some might feel it is better to add a couple copies of Threatening Roar in case I run into Gladiator Beasts, but I feel that Gladiator Beasts already don’t stand much of a chance against this deck since I’m already running Skill Drain, Royal Oppression, and Raiou. Lastly, I will add a card that almost every side deck should have – Prohibition! This card is not so useful during game 1 when you don’t know for sure what your opponent is playing, but in games 2 and 3 it becomes a very versatile card that can completely shut down your opponent’s strategy if used properly. Therefore, the final side deck will look like this:

Side(15):
2x Pulling the Rug
1x Royal Oppression
1x Raiou
2x Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror
1x Giant Trunade
2x Mobius the Frost Monarch
2x Warrior Elimination
2x Dragon Capture Jar
2x Prohibition

So now we are finally done, right? Wrong! There is still one last thing to do:

VIII. Test it Properly

Notice how I don’t just say test it, but rather test it properly! This means getting a friend who is at least as good a duelist as the levels of the people you expect to play against and having that friend battle you with the different deck-type that you feel you will probably come up against. You need to play this deck at least 20-30 times before using it in a tournament. This accomplishes 2 goals:

1. You can continue to fix the deck after playing with it. If you feel like you have too many copies of 1 card or not enough copies of another you can play around with the ratios within the deck until you feel you have made the deck as consistent as it is going to ever be.

2. You gain experience playing with the deck. Anyone can take a cookie cutter of Adam Corn’s Cornarchs deck, but almost nobody can play it the way Adam does because he is the original creator of the deck and because he has play-tested the deck hundreds of times! As you play with your deck more and more you will find hidden combos that you didn’t know were there. You will discover how you need to respond to each situation you face, and you will make less noobish mistakes when the time for the tournament actually comes around because you will already have made the mistakes and will know not to make them again.

You cannot just pick random people on KCVDS and test your deck against them. It will not give you accurate results. To properly test your deck you need to find a worthy partner or else everything you just did to create your deck will all have been in vain.

I hope you enjoyed reading this obsessively long and in-depth deck building guide and I hope that everyone who read this all the way through ended up learning something new or getting a new and interesting take on something they already knew. Good luck with the deck building!

-nekofjung

more_horiz
...This article is amazing. This article will help people go from OK to good in a hurry. Excellent work, Nekofjung.

more_horiz
Very good article! But testing properly requires 50 duels.

Anyway... Very complex... I recommend everybody to read it... It even was useful for me.

Last edited by Dark Master on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
"Testing properly" could take ages because the cards are bound to change. 20-30 means you are comfortable with it.

more_horiz
>_<
I said at least 20-30 duels, that actually implies more than just that is useful and that would be the bare minimum. If you would like, however, I can change it.

more_horiz
Awesome article Nekoftjung

Really informative and helpful...

10/10

more_horiz
Exellent article
i readed it all Smile
lol since it was my that asked u to make it if i don t haved readed it u would kill me XD
well this is my first step in learning to make decks
ty neko Smile

more_horiz
0.o o.o o.0
My god hotw much time did it take you to write this?
OMG
amazing article
you should be in BC's OATM.

more_horiz
cool article you should make new ones every week

more_horiz
Great, Really Informative But too Long :D:)

more_horiz
Impressive,Briliant,From the first time i saw u in BC u realy impressed me cool Article Nekofjung Keep it up mate 9/10 Smile .

more_horiz
great article really impressive it can be really helpful for some duelist. 10/10

more_horiz
Thank you everyone for the nice responses to my article. Just remember that the article is for all of you to help make everyone into better duelists. More articles will come in the future (not every week like Kira seems to want) but I will try to release a new article every month or 2. Hopefully this article will help many of you reevaluate the process you use when making a deck, especially for tournament play.

On a side note, I will be out of town for about half a week so if you can't find me anywhere it's because I'm not here. Wink

more_horiz
This is truly an impressive article I also give it a 10/10 great job on it. It made me remember past values when deck building and some new ones to.

more_horiz
ouch MY EYES ARE BURNING
i can't read any more
any way as i sow it's grate article thanks for shearing you spend lots of time just for helping

more_horiz
...Omg.. you wasted 1 year to do that I guess..
Awesome and impressive! but too long...
10/10

more_horiz
Nope, wasted about half a day. It's based on several years of experience, however. What's the point of an in-depth guide if it is short?

more_horiz
A very well written and constructed article. You really showed your worth man. very very nice. i give 5/5 or 10/10 (they're the same).

Hope to see more of this from you, again very impressive work. i read the whole thing and anyone, including any pro could get very informative and researched help.

more_horiz
Well awesome it was helpful for me too.

more_horiz
Good job for beginners Smile
10/10

more_horiz
WooW Great Article And im impressed !!

WooW

Thx Alot

more_horiz
Wooh took me a while to read, but immensly worthwhile.

i look forward to reading ur new articles Smile

more_horiz
wow great topic and great member thank you very much

more_horiz
yeah u rock An In-Depth Deckbuilder’s Guide Icon_lol ..thanks ..it really helped a lot

more_horiz
WOW! This was amazing! It really helped! I put up my deck on the Deck Discussion Class forum to find out what I need to fix from other people, but, now, I think I can fix it on my own! Nice! Thanks! An In-Depth Deckbuilder’s Guide Icon_biggrin

more_horiz
Locked read the v2 one is better

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply