Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

New Rules for Priority

power_settings_newLogin to reply
+13
Anzo
Potus Mat
Diamond
SoulEater
PokeAngel123
LòKóS
Plague Rose
Johan
Exiled
mimgrim
Dex
Typical Jew™
Nekofjung
17 posters

descriptionNew Rules for Priority EmptyNew Rules for Priority

more_horiz
NEW RULES FOR
PRIORITY

Konami has just updated the TCG rules for priority to comply with the OCG rules. The change is both fairly simple, and fairly complex depending on how you look at it. Here's is the site for their new rules:

http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/gameplay/fasteffects_timing.html

The BIG thing to take away from this is the following:

YOU NO LONGER RETAIN PRIORITY TO USE A MONSTER IGNITION EFFECT AFTER SUMMONING A MONSTER.

To show how this works, let's look into this just a little bit. There is now a category of effects called "Fast Effects". The following is the complete list of effects that qualify as "Fast Effects".

1. Monster Quick Effects
2. Quick-Play Spell Cards
3. All Trap Cards

Notice that Monster Ignition Effects is not on this list. If you check out the Konami link, they have made a little flow chart for us. Let's review the left-hand side of this chart with a little example to help you understand how this change can have big effects on the game.

1. The game state is open. (occurs at the beginning of every phase)
2. Turn player takes an action that does not start a chain. (i.e., normal summons Rescue Rabbit)
3. Does this activate a triggered effect (i.e. Stumbling, Level Limit Area B ... etc)? We'll assume a clear field so the answer is no.
4. Turn player can activate a fast effect (looking back up at the list of fast effects, we see that monster ignition effects are not listed, therefore you cannot activate Rescue Rabbit's effect yet). We'll say turn player activates
no fast effects.
5. Opponent can activate a fast effect. (i.e. Effect Veiler's Quick Effect or the Trap Card Chain Disappearance)

Since Rescue Rabbit's effect is not spell speed 2, it cannot chain to
Effect Veiler or Chain Disappearance, and since it no longer gets to activate its effect 1st to remove itself from the field with its cost, both Effect Veiler and Chain Disappearance can successfully resolve their effects and shut down the Rabbit.

Last edited by nekofjung on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:26 am; edited 2 times in total

descriptionNew Rules for Priority EmptyRe: New Rules for Priority

more_horiz
thanks for the in-depth explanation helps a lot

more_horiz
ALL RABBITS MUST DIE >:O

more_horiz
this made it alot easier to understand

more_horiz
Great read to help clear the confusion, great job neko

more_horiz
vlolwut'sthat.

I meant the waggat since I see him everywhere now. ._.

more_horiz
Does this effect dino rabbit in any way? Would be cool to finally be able to veiler rabbit.

more_horiz
At start i didnt get it how this new rule works but now thanks to neko i know :D

more_horiz
Plague Rose wrote:
Does this effect dino rabbit in any way? Would be cool to finally be able to veiler rabbit.

Plague I swear you just post without reading the OP at all.

more_horiz
nekofjung wrote:
Plague Rose wrote:

Plague I swear you just post without reading the OP at all.

They never do my friend.

more_horiz
lol someone in DN told me i cant use judgement dragon =O

more_horiz
PokeAngel123 wrote:
lol someone in DN told me i cant use judgement dragon =O

If you mean you can't use his effect with priority, then that is now correct. Your opponent can respond to JD's summon with Bottomless Trap Hole before you can activate his ignition effect to wipe the field. That is an example of how the new rule works.

more_horiz
About time they allowed this!

more_horiz
Here are some of the popular cards that got affected:

-Judgment Dragon
-Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
-Scrap Dragon
-Leviar the Sea Dragon
-Master Hyperion
-Dark Armed Dragon
-Chaos Sorcerer
-Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
-Lonefire Blossom
-Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon
-Wind-Up Carrier Zenmaity
-Rescue Rabbit

Now you are able to counter these cards with Book of Moon or Bottomless Trap Hole; and you can now stop Lonefire Blossom or Rescue Rabbit with Fiendish Chain or Effect Veiler before they have a chance to leave the field.

more_horiz
Don't forget cards like:

Lumina
Zombie Master
Tour Guide of the Underworld
Hand of the Six Samurai
Mystic Piper
Exiled Force
Test Tiger
Destiny Hero Diamond Dude
Gale the Whirlwind

Are all of these super popular? Well, maybe not all of them, but many are used often enough to warrant making the list. Wink

more_horiz
Umm, as a matter of fact Zombie Master already followed this rule, according to his wording on OCG Text Zombie Master had to stay on the field to activate and resolve his effect. Now every card became like Zombie Master in a sense :D

Test Tiger and Exiled Force can be Veilered too, yay :D

By the way, Tour Guide of the Underworld is not affected by the change, as the card's effect is a trigger effect not an ignition. You could already Veiler TGU, and still you can't Trap Hole TGU to avoid the second monsters summon from the deck.

more_horiz
Ruby wrote:
Umm, as a matter of fact Zombie Master already followed this rule, according to his wording on OCG Text Zombie Master had to stay on the field to activate and resolve his effect. Now every card became like Zombie Master in a sense :D

Test Tiger and Exiled Force can be Veilered too, yay :D

By the way, Tour Guide of the Underworld is not affected by the change, as the card's effect is a trigger effect not an ignition. You could already Veiler TGU, and still you can't Trap Hole TGU to avoid the second monsters summon from the deck.

Zombie Master (before ruling) could discard a card from hand as soon as he was summoned, and then you could chain to that with veiler or book of moon or bth, or whatnot. Point is, before he could mill a PSZ or Mezuki to the grave and you couldn't stop it from happening.

more_horiz
Ruby wrote:
Here are some of the popular cards that got affected:
-Judgment Dragon
-Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
-Scrap Dragon
-Leviar the Sea Dragon
-Master Hyperion
-Dark Armed Dragon
-Chaos Sorcerer
-Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
-Lonefire Blossom
-Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon
-Wind-Up Carrier Zenmaity
-Rescue Rabbit
Now you are able to counter these cards with Book of Moon or Bottomless Trap Hole; and you can now stop Lonefire Blossom or Rescue Rabbit with Fiendish Chain or Effect Veiler before they have a chance to leave the field.

Chain does nothing to Rabbit or Blossom.
._.
And since when is Blossom popular without Bulb and Spore?
>:U

more_horiz
It's been a while since I played and I remembered as if Fiendish stopped them from activating at all. Well neither is Master Hyperion, but they are important cards nevertheless.

Since Fiendish Chain turned out to be different than I thought, it's not very much related to the change. Still, BTH, Chain Dissappearance and even Trap Hole can see increased play.

more_horiz
Priority is pro, without priority this game sucks, but we will forget about this like in 2 weeks just like when they first released Exceed Summon.

more_horiz
Anzo you noob. Prioirity is still here, you just don't retain priority after a summon to activate an ignition effect. You still retain priority to activate a "fast effect", so prio is still here... afro

more_horiz
i was talking about the first part .______.

more_horiz
nai nai, priority has actually scraped as a term in yugioh, much like substep in damage step, though the later one never actually misused.

Julia wrote:
And finally, a message from R&D:
“One more thing: everyone's lives will get a little easier if you please stop using the word 'priority'. It has become largely a meaningless term that wasn't being used properly anyway. So it's best to throw it on the scrapheap. As for page 42 of the rulebook, there's some good basic info there on how civilized people politely play a card game, but please don't read anything technical into it at this time. We'll probably be revising that at some point in the future, although the Samurai Warlords Structure Deck rulebook will still be the older version”.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/248499755248/10151588241355249/

more_horiz
HyawehHoshikawa wrote:
nai nai, priority has actually scraped as a term in yugioh, much like substep in damage step, though the later one never actually misused.

Julia wrote:
And finally, a message from R&D:
“One more thing: everyone's lives will get a little easier if you please stop using the word 'priority'. It has become largely a meaningless term that wasn't being used properly anyway. So it's best to throw it on the scrapheap. As for page 42 of the rulebook, there's some good basic info there on how civilized people politely play a card game, but please don't read anything technical into it at this time. We'll probably be revising that at some point in the future, although the Samurai Warlords Structure Deck rulebook will still be the older version”.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/248499755248/10151588241355249/

The term is gone but the concept is still the same so yeah doesn't matter

more_horiz
i love these new rules this format got alot better :D

more_horiz
thanks

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum