Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

descriptionOnline Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics! EmptyOnline Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics!

more_horiz
What is Chess?

Chess is a popular international game, played between 2 players, on an 8 by 8 grid, alternating between white and black squares normally. Chess as a game is
expected to have been around since the late 500s, from China. Overtime it then spread through Asia, into Europe, and then into the rest of the world. Chess
is a very tricky game, involving the battle between 2 minds, each trying to defeat the other. Aggresive attacks, or Defensive Manouvers, there are endless
ways to play. With hundreds of openings to choose for your repetoire, he chess world is your oyster!

How to play chess:

Chess is a game between 2 sides, one with white pieces, the other with black pieces. Both sides start off with 8 Pawns, 2 Rooks, 2 Knights, 2 Bishops, 1 Queen
and 1 King. 
In chess you have 3 options, you can either Win, Lose, or Draw! You win in 3 cases: You Checkmate your opponent's King, what this means is you are
attacking their King and they cannot save their King, it is basically having your pieces hold their King as hostage at gunpoint, and he can't be saved. The
second way is if your opponent resigns. This is badically your opponent surrendering, as if their King is holding up a white flag. The 3rd way is through
disqualification, this is when you do something against the rules more than once, or if you are playing with time and run out of time.
There are 3 ways to draw in Chess: The first way is to agree on a draw, this is were both players agree on a draw, normally by one person offering a draw to
his or her opponent. The second way is the Referee deciding it is a draw, what this is, in some in real life games you don't play with a clock, but somebody
can decide on what will in a game, for example, if the Referee thinks white is better, they can give white the win. If they think Black is better they can
give black the win. Or if they think it is tied they can declare the game a draw! The third way, is through a tricky thing called Stalemate. What this means,
is you or your opponent can't move a piece at all! No pawn moves, No rook moves, No queen moves, No knight moves, No bishop moves and No king moves.

The Board:

The board is the battleground for all of your pieces, your attacks and your defences. The chess board is an 8 x 8 grid which is meant to alternate between white and black but to make online play and some over the board play easier, it is normally colours such as white and purple, light grey and dark grey, and things like that. (In case you can't see the white pieces on the white squares or the black pieces on the black squares). It looks like this:
Online Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics! Screen11

As you can see the board is coordinated between A-H and 1-8. The columns in chess, which are A-H are instead called 'Files' and the rows are called rows. The way the board is set up is like this:
Online Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics! Screen12

It starts off on the 1st and 8th rows with a Rook on the left, Knight, Bishop, Queen, King, Bishop, Knight and then a Rook. Then on the 2nd and 7th rows, there are 8 Pawns. An important thing to note, is there should ALWAYS be a dark square on the bottom left and a light square on the bottom right, else the pieces won't be set up properly, due to the queen going on her own color. You would end up with something like this:
Online Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics! Screen13

Now onto the important parts!

How to move the Pieces!

The Pawn:
The Pawns in chess are the most basic of pieces, they don't move very far, and are worth much less than other pieces. Most of the time they can only move 1 square forward like so:
Online Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics! Screen14

However, if you are moving a Pawn for the first time in a game, you can move it 1 or 2 squares forward. For example: If you wanted to move the Pawn on the H file for the first time:
Online Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics! Screen10

This Pawn could move either 1 square forward, or 2 squares forward, like so:
Online Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics! Screen11

The way that Pawns capture pieces (kill pieces) is diagonally, by 1 square, like this:
Online Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics! Screen12

The Bishop:
The way that a Bishop moves is diagonally. Like this:
Online Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics! Screen15

The Knight:
The way a Knight moves is very special compared to other pieces, they move similar to an L, they move either 2 up and 1 across, 2 down and 1 across, or 2 sidewards and 1 up or down. Like this:
Online Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics! Screen13

They can also jump over pieces like this:
Online Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics! Screen14

The Rook:
The Rook can move vertically or horizontally like this:
Online Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics! Screen16

The Queen:
The Queen can move diagonally, vertically and horizontally. Like this:
Online Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics! Screen17

The King:
The best until last! The King! It can only move 1 square in any direction!
Online Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics! Screen15

The Next Lesson will be on basic strategies that every player should know, that is if this lesson was OK or good enough, I'd be very appreciative of your feedback !
Online Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics! 515816762

descriptionOnline Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics! EmptyRe: Online Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics!

more_horiz
Great leasson, I enjoyed it a lot. Only thing i would suggest is you leave one row after every paragraph, mostly for esthetic purposes.

Keep it going tho! Let's hop on the road to the chess community Razz 

descriptionOnline Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics! EmptyRe: Online Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics!

more_horiz
Keep it going man. I was learning chess then I got interrupted. Now I forgot everything.

more_horiz
You don't forget the basics tho Online Chess Lessons - 1: The Basics! 3974120512 

@Debi I would love if you show some of the more complicated tricks like rocado, etc. since while they are widely known, are not explained very well and many people do them wrong or don't do them anyways.

more_horiz
Pepchoninga I'll be doing that in my next lesson
Things such as the fianchetto, the zugzwang, castling, controlling the center, and things similar to them.

more_horiz
That will be great ^^

more_horiz
Really like this lesson. Really want to get into chess.

Ty

more_horiz
You forgot one important detail: Chess is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more skill-oriented than most games Razz. Hence why more often than not, you'll see players of equal skill draw. good stuff anyways: I played chess a damn while ago haha

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply