Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

A Curriculum?

power_settings_newLogin to reply
+5
Anzo
Galaksii
Kandy.JPEG
DeathStalker
HighPriestSeto
9 posters

descriptionA Curriculum? EmptyA Curriculum?

more_horiz
When i think about an "Academy," i think of a place of learning, after all an Academy is a form of schooling, normally one with an advanced curriculum that might or might not prove more advanced than normal public schooling.

That being said Duel Academy should have 3 functions in mind
1: Socializing with other players, fans, so on so forth 

2:Setting up duels so that way its gathered members can duel each other in a fun,stress free, interactive and entertaining environment rather it be on Dueling Network or in real life 
(who knows maybe some of you people live down the street from each other and ya just don't know it XD)  

3:Helping its students shape their craft into a gem that they are happy with and that it makes them at a level of playing that they can say "Yeah, i had the best teachers ever" after all, the only way one person can get ANYWHERE is together with others. 
Even if you are a prodigy you had to learn how everything works first. so someone had to show you how to do it

i present a curriculum plan for DuelAcademy.net in hopes that IF accepted and intergraded into Dueling Academy. everyone who comes too and from Duel Academy, can go on to enjoy this game to the max of their abilities. 

if they wish to go "Professional" which at one point we've all wanted too. i mean this game was a golden egg not too long ago. and i still think it is. just a less shiny gold. they will have all the tools to do so and would of got it from DuelAcademy

even if they DON'T want to go professional, with it. at least if they decide to take the classes, its A: something that is making you think and use your head B: Something to have fun with. and C: A chance to become better at something you enjoy. 

In the long run, i think IF this idea is accepted, and integrated into the core functions of Duel Academy it should be up to the Admins, and a handful of top ranked cream of the crop Duelists to decide the Curriculum, however. i am offering mine. for "Food For thought"

Class 1: introduction to duel monsters: 

Class 2: Deck Construction and Deck Formula. 

Class 3: Ruling & Timing

Class 4: Deck comboing

Class 5: Exploiting Meta 

Now, to explain what i mean by each of these 

Class 1: Introduction to Duel Monsters. 

This class would be to learn the very basic of duel monsters pretty much covering everything that is in the player's handbook when you buy a starter/structure deck.  

Class 2: Deck Construction and Deck Formula: 

this would be both an advanced and rookie level class. explaining how to build the deck type that a player wants to play as well as a build type, X Monsters X Spell X Trap. 

Likely the most IMPORTANT Class DA could offer. Either for self use in duels, or becoming a judge for DuelingNetwork or at an Official Konami Duel Monsters Tournament.this class would be a must.  

A great class for people who want to see what their deck can DO in its current or later state. this class would be a Mirror match duel between Student and Teacher.. showing the Teacher where the student stands, and offering help in chaining cards the PROPER WAY in order to get the result the student is looking for 

Again, i think this is another class where i personally feel i can't stress importance Meta Decks are something everyone is bound to run into. Dueling Network, Real Life, Underground or Official Duel Monster Tournaments. They're everywhere.
and Knowing is half the battle, and thats what this class would be about. showing the Current and future Meta decks. and saying 

"Okay class, this Deck wants to do this, and this, and they play this card. then its game over..but the weakness in these cards are This,This aaannnddd This"  

pretty much taking the edge off dueling them and helping players play smarter when dueling Meta decks. at the end of the day, no Deck is perfect and no duelist is without flaw. 

so, there you have it. a 5 course Curriculum, DA could make any changes to the classes they feel they would need, but i feel that this would be an amazing direction for DuelAcademy and would help it further more live up to its name.

descriptionA Curriculum? EmptyDefault Title

more_horiz

First of all, They already had something like this, in which @Irate was head teacher. I guess they lost interest in the whole "class" thing.

Second of all, Don't copy ideas from other Academies, Originality is the key.

I don't disagree with your idea, i mean it'll be cool if it can be resurrected, but.... you catch my drift

descriptionA Curriculum? EmptyRe: A Curriculum?

more_horiz
Crimzon there's no need to be rude either. 

Dont exploit other's ideas like that. 

@Seto we did have something like that before I'll see and talk about it with the staff if we can somehow resurrect it. The problem with those classes is the participation we receive is little to none. But I will see what I can do.

more_horiz
Mr.Kandy wrote:
Crimzon there's no need to be rude either. 

Dont exploit other's ideas like that. 

@Seto we did have something like that before I'll see and talk about it with the staff if we can somehow resurrect it. The problem with those classes is the participation we receive is little to none. But I will see what I can do.

I never did such, i edited my comments lots of times to make it sound nicer, but to no avail.

Guess i'll just shut up now

Last edited by CrimzonSlayeRx on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
CrimzonSlayeRx wrote:

First of all, don't copy ideas from other Academies, Originality is the key.

Second of all, they already had something like this, in which @Irate was head teacher. I guess they lost interest. 

Do your research before suggesting something, it's like telling Obama, to have an Intelligence Agency.

I don't disagree with your idea, i mean it'll be cool if it can be resurrected, but.... you catch my drift

For your information, we had almost the same thing until September 2014.
We didn't lost interest, this academy became the place where you will learn everything in the fastest possible way, dueling and discussions.
And speaking of originality, we are the first academy ever so he basicly suggested something we have invented and used before.
Anzo's word will be final here since he's Head Admin

more_horiz
I think it would be a great idea, and if there is ANYTHING i can do to help. please let me know. thats my goal is to help ^_^

more_horiz
Galaksii wrote:
CrimzonSlayeRx wrote:

Second of all, they already had something like this, in which @Irate was head teacher. I guess they lost interest. 

Do your research before suggesting something, it's like telling Obama, to have an Intelligence Agency.

We didn't lost interest, this academy became the place where you will learn everything in the fastest possible way, dueling and discussions.
And speaking of originality, we are the first academy ever so he basicly suggested something we have invented and used before.

I do like the idea, and i would appreciate it if Anzo approves it and makes Irate teacher.  

more_horiz
HighPriestSeto wrote:
When i think about an "Academy," i think of a place of learning, after all an Academy is a form of schooling, normally one with an advanced curriculum that might or might not prove more advanced than normal public schooling.

2:Setting up duels so that way its gathered members can duel each other in a fun,stress free, interactive and entertaining environment rather it be on Dueling Network or in real life 
(who knows maybe some of you people live down the street from each other and ya just don't know it XD)  

3:Helping its students shape their craft into a gem that they are happy with and that it makes them at a level of playing that they can say "Yeah, i had the best teachers ever" after all, the only way one person can get ANYWHERE is together with others. 
Even if you are a prodigy you had to learn how everything works first. so someone had to show you how to do it

i present a curriculum plan for DuelAcademy.net in hopes that IF accepted and intergraded into Dueling Academy. everyone who comes too and from Duel Academy, can go on to enjoy this game to the max of their abilities. 

if they wish to go "Professional" which at one point we've all wanted too. i mean this game was a golden egg not too long ago. and i still think it is. just a less shiny gold. they will have all the tools to do so and would of got it from DuelAcademy

even if they DON'T want to go professional, with it. at least if they decide to take the classes, its A: something that is making you think and use your head B: Something to have fun with. and C: A chance to become better at something you enjoy. 

In the long run, i think IF this idea is accepted, and integrated into the core functions of Duel Academy it should be up to the Admins, and a handful of top ranked cream of the crop Duelists to decide the Curriculum, however. i am offering mine. for "Food For thought"

This class would be to learn the very basic of duel monsters pretty much covering everything that is in the player's handbook when you buy a starter/structure deck.  

this would be both an advanced and rookie level class. explaining how to build the deck type that a player wants to play as well as a build type, X Monsters X Spell X Trap. 

Likely the most IMPORTANT Class DA could offer. Either for self use in duels, or becoming a judge for DuelingNetwork or at an Official Konami Duel Monsters Tournament.this class would be a must.  

A great class for people who want to see what their deck can DO in its current or later state. this class would be a Mirror match duel between Student and Teacher.. showing the Teacher where the student stands, and offering help in chaining cards the PROPER WAY in order to get the result the student is looking for 

Again, i think this is another class where i personally feel i can't stress importance Meta Decks are something everyone is bound to run into. Dueling Network, Real Life, Underground or Official Duel Monster Tournaments. They're everywhere.
and Knowing is half the battle, and thats what this class would be about. showing the Current and future Meta decks. and saying 

"Okay class, this Deck wants to do this, and this, and they play this card. then its game over..but the weakness in these cards are This,This aaannnddd This"  

pretty much taking the edge off dueling them and helping players play smarter when dueling Meta decks. at the end of the day, no Deck is perfect and no duelist is without flaw. 

so, there you have it. a 5 course Curriculum, DA could make any changes to the classes they feel they would need, but i feel that this would be an amazing direction for DuelAcademy and would help it further more live up to its name.

It's 12:47am atm.

I'll make a decent reply tomorrow Wink

more_horiz
Anzo ò_ó wrote:
HighPriestSeto wrote:

It's 12:47am atm.

I'll make a decent reply tomorrow Wink

I only ask that you think about it. nothing more nothing less, i might bring the idea back to you in a later time. to see if maybe in the future if you may or may not change your mind..

more_horiz
CrimzonSlayeRx wrote:
Galaksii wrote:
CrimzonSlayeRx wrote:

I do like the idea, and i would appreciate it if Anzo approves it and makes Irate teacher.  

Irate is a judge but he haven't played in a while, only teachers we could offer are DDS and Roach with a little help of myself but we're already doing it, sort of...

more_horiz
Galaksii wrote:
CrimzonSlayeRx wrote:
Galaksii wrote:
CrimzonSlayeRx wrote:

Irate is a judge but he haven't played in a while, only teacher we could offer are DDS and Roach with little help of myself but we're already doing it, sort of...

Kandy is pretty good, as long as he doesn't troll his students

more_horiz
Are you insane, it's to dangerous to leave Kandy with lil kidz

more_horiz
Galaksii wrote:
Are you insane, it's to dangerous to leave Kandy with lil kidz

lol,  A Curriculum? 2311628747 A Curriculum? 3974120512,   OOH shit, damn kandy

Last edited by CrimzonSlayeRx on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
Galaksii wrote:

Basically that. The whole "Teaching" thing is dead every where to be honest. The best way to learn is to just play.

more_horiz
Roach wrote:
Galaksii wrote:

Basically that. The whole "Teaching" thing is dead every where to be honest. The best way to learn is to just play.

Nothing is "dead", it can be resurrected. Just use "monster Reborn"

more_horiz
Roach wrote:
Galaksii wrote:

i'm not sure if i agree with that. let me show it in another light if i am able, i tried saying this but it never showed up on screen less its glitching or whatever. 

first of all, you say its dead, but you have one person saying "Hey, i'm willing to learn" and even Crimzon was like "hey yeah, its a good idea but i have my issues with it" so depending on which side you want to lead with that. thats 2 people saying "well, we want to learn" and here is another thought. people, over all, do no learn the same way. some can learn by reading, others can learn by hearing, some, learn by just being thrown into it. but others like myself. you have to take it apart in front of them. brick by brick, stitch by stitch, and show them ALL the inner workings. before they understand it perfectly.

more_horiz
Monster Reborn is banned A Curriculum? 4204681869

The "Teaching" system requires alot of interested active low skilled players for it to be beneficial and time worthy. To be honest just by reading the official YGO rulebook/guide (Available online and inside every starter deck) will provide you with ruling knowledge and familiarize you with game mechanics. Exploiting Meta can be done by visiting are deck discussion forum, Deck comboing is learnt from playing a deck (Also discussed in Deck Discussion) and Deck Construction comes from experience from playing and learning a variety of different decks / cards.

more_horiz
HighPriestSeto wrote:
Roach wrote:
Galaksii wrote:

i'm not sure if i agree with that. let me show it in another light if i am able, i tried saying this but it never showed up on screen less its glitching or whatever. 

first of all, you say its dead, but you have one person saying "Hey, i'm willing to learn" and even Crimzon was like "hey yeah, its a good idea but i have my issues with it" so depending on which side you want to lead with that. thats 2 people saying "well, we want to learn" and here is another thought. people, over all, do no learn the same way. some can learn by reading, others can learn by hearing, some, learn by just being thrown into it. but others like myself. you have to take it apart in front of them. brick by brick, stitch by stitch, and show them ALL the inner workings. before they understand it perfectly.

You tell 'em SETO Smile

more_horiz
Did someone say me and kids alone?

WHERE THE FUCK DO I SIGNUP

more_horiz
Mr.Kandy wrote:
Did someone say me and kids alone?

WHERE THE FUCK DO I SIGNUP

dood, u follow up a joke, sooo fckign well, rofl  A Curriculum? 3974120512 A Curriculum? 2311628747 A Curriculum? 2311628747

more_horiz
Kandy, have I ever told you that I love you? A Curriculum? 3974120512

more_horiz
Help will always be given at Duel Academy to those who ask for it.

more_horiz
Okay, so I've went through your post.

Basically, there is two reasons why the whole teaching thing wouldn't work in forums anymore. First reason being that there isn't much to talk about: if you want to learn how to use a certain deck you need like, 2 or 3 games and you'll already get your ways around it. Second reason being is we're not equipped to try and make teaching and classes a thing in DA. For instance, we could make a Professors teaching group, assign a couple of teachers to it and tell them to start making lessons; however, no one is into reading to be honest.

If someone is considering to take his skills to a professional level then reading wouldn't be the answer to his/her question. It basically requires that individual to practice day and night and come up with your own play-style, see how others use their decks, and come up with your own strategies. Reading how someone else plays X deck doesn't mean you can play it on the same level if you read about it.

When academies was first founded back in 2009, we were the first. Back then the concept of teaching members through lessons and articles was a thing because the entirety of online dueling concept was a new to a lot of us. We didn't know where to go or what to do. We also lacked a lot of in-depth analysis and articles that would teach us how a certain deck works. That is, however, was solely due to KCVDS being a system where you couldn't spam games. You could only play a coupe of games per day since there wasn't much people online at the same time.

That concept is no longer valid now that Dueling Network and YGO/DevPro are the two major dueling systems used by nearly everybody who still has passion for this game. You could easily play 50 game a day and you'll learn everything there is to learn about whatever you're seeking to learn. You could build a 100 deck in a week, test each deck 50 time, and you'll still find time to watch your daily favorite show at the same time - that's a bit of exaggerated numbers of course.

In your post, two classes intrigued my attention: Deck Construction and Deck Formula & Ruling & Timing. As for Deck Combs nd Exploring meta these are already discussed in our Deck Discussions made by @Roach.

Deck Construction and Deck Formula: As i said earlier, you figure these out by practicing your own build and also seeing how others run a specific deck. Rulings and Timing is rather argumentative subject, you can't read about this anywhere on the internet. Each card has it's own rulings and timing, you will have to explore each card by simple playing tons of games. No rush Wink

The point is: reading is not a thing nowadays. Yes, back in 2009 and until the early of 2013 Lessons and Articles were still something viable and many appreciated it. However, nowadays we tend to prefer and make Deck Discussions about the meta decks, and how these decks works, their combos, key cards, and whatnot. @Roach takes care of writing a deck discussion each time a worthy deck show up on the field. Check the Deck Dicussions section and you'll learn all there is to it to learn about the current most-used decks on the internet, and in real life tournaments. We also cover real life events such as YCS which you can find in Events Coverage forum, @Dark Duelist Soul takes care of keeping us updated with whatever that is posted on the internet regarding these events. So as you can see, nowadays learning is different. If you need to be a better duelist, then compete in tournaments, play random people, and lastly check discussions topics and real life events to know what people prefer to use, and things like that.

Of course, that doesn't mean we threw the 'teaching' concept behind our backs, absolutely not. We still teach our members everything they need to learn about the game, but it's simply not within lessons and articles anymore, that just doesn't cut it. It's through Deck Discussions and direct conversations with our expert staffers which can pretty much answer any question you have about this game if you'd simply ask them.

more_horiz
Problem with teaching is that most of the guys who registered at this site are already intermediate or higher level duelists that can build decks by their own and have years of dueling experience. Deckbuilding section / pimp my deck is better than a lesson that teaches you how to build a random deck since banlists change every 4 months and new cards get released as we speak.

Instead of lessons maybe the dorm mentors could do exams once in a while which test the knowledge of the players and if the student fails the exam he would be punished to write a topic on the things he failed to get right.

more_horiz
While I agree that there are users who would definitely profit from the lessons, the demand is simply not low enough to make our supply worthwhile.
Yes, we can make high-quality lessons, yes, we can teach you about the game, but in most of the cases, the intermediate to advanced skills our users already have do not necessitate such a program.

I indeed was the one who managed the teaching system from 2012 throughout 2013, but I can't see it happening anymore. Besides, my interest in this game is long gone, and I stay here because -- have a look at my rank -- I am managing the way this site works (at least in a technical way).

Anzo explained this with more detail than I have, but I just wanted to let you have part of my opinion on this matter.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply