Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

Luck Versus Cheaters: How to protect yourself against Cheating

power_settings_newLogin to reply
+7
Mai Femme Fatale
DefinitelyNotXrai
Skitoritto
Train Heartnet
Amy Kool
BlackWarGreymon
Jin Kazama
11 posters

descriptionLuck Versus Cheaters: How to protect yourself against Cheating EmptyLuck Versus Cheaters: How to protect yourself against Cheating

more_horiz
Effective immediately, Claudio Kirchmair, Vice-President, Players for United Gosus has terminated Simon He. Simon may still appeal this decision to our Board of Directors to have himself reinstated.

A very clear pattern of behavior was revealed after reviewing the events that lead to He's disqualification at this weekend's WCQ: European Championship, in consultation with then-seemingly disconnected bits of information gathered over the past year and a half. The specifics of this pattern align with conduct unbecoming of a UG member and thus Kirchmair's decision. 

Claudio would also like to take this time to remind all players to thoroughly review their sleeves for subtle marking between games. We have no further comments at this time. 

As some of you may not have known, Simon He was kicked off of United Gosus. Read on; he's not the only player to be disqualified and banned from events:

Head Judge Jerome Mchale supposedly saw Adam Corn stacking a malicious and a mirror force together between games during his top 4 match. He was DQ'd on those grounds, and his opponent auto-moved to finals. And while he hasn't been put on the suspended players list yet, DQ'd players usually get banned within the month.

Adam Corn was a prominent duelist in real life events; most importantly he topped many events during the Perfect Circle format with something called "Cornarchs". Of course, it was always rumored that he could have been cheating, and eventually this was found out to be true.

Jason Holloway was a prominent duelist up until around Light of Destruction and a little past that; rumor has it he had Des Koala in his side. Why would you have a card like that in the side? For time battles, and an alarming amount of his matches went into time, which he would proceed to win by his opponent attacking a Des Koala and taking life point damage. Whether he cheated? We'll never really know.

Currently, on Konami's website, there are 112 players listed as having cheated on the suspended players' list. There are varying reasons that you can get banned from tournaments, but keep in mind that this figure is only a fraction: Remember, lots of cheaters never get caught.

As a Head Judge for tournaments, I know that a huge majority of individuals in my area don't cheat. The reason I know this is because of the way people act. There are a few signs that people give off, a nervous tic, and no one around here really has the chance to practice cheating on a regular basis.

PRACTICE is what makes these cheaters good. In order to be good at something, you have to practice doing it. What Simon He and Adam Corn are capable of doing is extraordinary, but they only got there because they did it for so long. Sometimes you get too much confidence, and you fall. It happens. You think you won't get caught, but eventually you do. I am going to tell you right now that everyone makes a mistake. The difference is when your mistake happens. If you are noticed, it's over for you.

The point of this article isn't on how to cheat, or encouraging people to cheat. It is an opinion on luck versus cheating. This game, right now, is considered to be very lucky. However, it's not uncommon for a few individuals to know the format and do well in it. Even though Adam Corn cheated at an event, there are countless times where he did well at other events, and a majority of them could easily have been legitimate. Billy Brake was so good in plant format you saw him top twice in a row. Some people in this game have to be lucky to win. Some people are simply very talented players who understand the meta and can win no matter the luck of the draw.

I am of the opinion that this format still requires a certain amount of skill. Recently at a box event an individual went 1-4 with Spellbooks. That really is unprecedented given the deck's ability.

Cheating, rather obviously, takes away from the game's integrity and your reputation as a duelist. If you are cheating to win matches, you probably shouldn't be playing this game. The prize structure is nothing that it used to be and the rewards for cheating aren't worth the benefit of doing so. Only at a Regionals event or higher would you ever want to cheat, and even then cheating to go to Nationals is not worth it. Nationals is a thousand-dollar trip, easily, depending on where you live.

Konami Rules wrote:
Maliciously harassing or disparaging of your opponent.
Spending an excessive amount of time on a turn. Players accused of or caught doing this may be penalized.
Spending an excessive amount of time shuffling and/or swapping in/out cards between decks.
Changing the contents of your deck(s) such that they differ from the submitted Deck List.
Willful misinterpretation of card effects.
Unless part of a card effect, playing any cards that have been removed from play earlier in the duel.
Talking and/or exchanging advice/information other duelists, spectators, or other third parties during a duel.
Having any "Forbidden" cards, and/or more than the maximum number of limited/semi-limited cards in your deck.

This is only half of the rules that Konami lists as inappropriate behavior. The ones I have taken out are more for real life dueling.

There are many ways to stop cheating, but the primary one is to pay attention. Watch what your opponent does. If they are glancing over your deck and trying to peek at the cards on the bottom, odds are they're trying to stack you. Watch what your opponent does with their deck. Pay attention to the match, keep your eyes on your opponent's actions. If you suspect them of stacking, you may ask a judge if they would shuffle your deck. The point is, there are lots of ways you can prevent cheating.

Make sure your opponent makes moves in a timely manner, and if you suspect them of changing their deck in the middle of a tournament you should report them to a staffer. In the case of DA Regionals I will have decklists; you can't change your decklist in the middle of a Regionals.

You can't ask for help on how to play your cards unless you are just learning the game, and never in a tournament match. Make sure your opponent side decks within a couple of minutes, and shuffles for just one more so you're not having to wait for a long period of time, which is considered stalling.

Lots of these things don't really happen in DN matches, because the match can take as long as necessary. In real life you're only given 40 minutes so you have to make it count!

Keep in mind: LOTS OF PEOPLE YOU ARE PLAYING AGAINST ARE JUST LIKE YOU - HONEST. Don't immediately brand someone a cheater in your mind, let their actions do the talking.

Have fun, and DON'T CHEAT.

Jin Kazama

descriptionLuck Versus Cheaters: How to protect yourself against Cheating EmptyRe: Luck Versus Cheaters: How to protect yourself against Cheating

more_horiz
I like articles Like these ;D

I'm a honest cheater Luck Versus Cheaters: How to protect yourself against Cheating 2896007000

descriptionLuck Versus Cheaters: How to protect yourself against Cheating EmptyRe: Luck Versus Cheaters: How to protect yourself against Cheating

more_horiz
Of course, Jin's articles are always an exclusive in DA Smile

I don't play for a long time already, but it was nice to get updated with these things from real life Smile

more_horiz
As I mentioned. DN prevents a majority of this stuff from happening, but RL duelists should pay close attention!

more_horiz
I guess the modern ways to cheat is to brand 1 of your card and/or use a damaged card, use a card that has extra thickness (like some special edition cards) or try to look at your opponent's cards while shuffling.

Another rules Jin forgot to mention is that you cannot look at the cards of your opponent
s deck while shuffling (this includes staring at them even if you cannot actually see what they are).

And of course as Jin said you can simply ask a Judge to shuffle both of your decks, so you can be sure you are not stacked and/or your opponent.

An important thing that is not considerate cheating and you can do is if you see some cards in your deck that are stacked together while you are searching your deck via a card effect, you can simply mix them up before you add the card to your hand and then shuffle. So basically you are allowed to move around cards in your deck while searching.

more_horiz
Question about DA tournaments , are we allowed to change cards from side to main before duels ?

more_horiz
@ "C" 
You're not allowed to change your deck at all in modern day tournaments.  So no, you're not allowed to switch your main deck cards with side deck cards.

more_horiz
Train. I actually kept that out because it wasn't relevant to the audience. Of course you can't look at your opponent's deck. But DN doesn't let you do that, period.

more_horiz
wow. I can't believe i read all of that lol. Plus I can't believe people would cheat Surprised and needless to say i learned a lot from this in a very strange way :/

more_horiz
I don't play yugioh, but I toke this into account for other games that I do play and it really helped me think about some things. I know this is kind of late, but very great article Jin and very worth the read.

more_horiz
Jake Wesker wrote:
As I mentioned. DN prevents a majority of this stuff from happening, but RL duelists should pay close attention!

i dont rlly understand ur post , isnt DN way easyer to cheat than other systems like ygopro or devpro , where card effects are integrated in the system ?

more_horiz
DN allows for soft cheating all the time. If you don't pay attention or know specific rulings, people can and will get away with it.

A lot of people complain that "ygopro sucks" that it's not for "real duelists" but apparently their definition of a real duelist is being able to soft cheat whenever they need to.

Whoever says that DN doesn't allow cheating is either just messing with you or extremely deluded. It gets worse in person, since they can't cry to an admin.

more_horiz
^ that`s my point :D

more_horiz
And this is why I prefer automatic dueling... you don't have to put up with the opponent's silly business and you either win, lose, or draw without questions asked. Not to mention it's extremely efficient for lazy people like me. Playing in real life is such a hassle 'cos you have to actually move around.

more_horiz
Well broly, to answer your question. He said DN prevents a majority of cheating (which it does), he wasn't comparing it to ygopro in anyway. So I'm not sure where you got the incentive that he was saying DN is better than ygopro.

more_horiz
ok , thing is i`m nab...nothing i can do about it
but i wonder myself how is dn preventing cheating ?
like alikaey i also preffer automatic duel systems , downside is , from what i see, events and tournaments u guys hold here on DA are being conducted trough DN Sad

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply