Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

descriptionMy first report - Battle Pack Epic Dawn EmptyMy first report - Battle Pack Epic Dawn

more_horiz
Battle Pack: Epic Dawn.

Hey everyone!
So after YCS Philadelphia, the hype at the moment with the Yu-Gi-Oh scene is the new set that's due to be released tomorrow..

Battle Pack: Epic Dawn.

The new set provides a somewhat new style to the game. It seems really interesting, focusing principally on this sort of play, but it's also providing loads of new things, including reprints of old cards, and a new type of rarity!

Introduction to the pack:

So here's how the pack works.
It contains FIVE cards, THREE of which are common, ONE Rare, and ONE Starfoil Rare.

The three common cards will be a random mixture, but will follow the have the following traits.

One will be a high-ATK monster, to bust some heads.
Another will be a low-ATK monster that’s in there for its powerful effects.
Finally, you’ll get a third common (usually a Spell or Trap) that will either take out an opponent’s card, or change the pace of battle.

This is to do with the new gaming style the pack is trying to endorse, a style caled Sealed pack play, which I will go over shortly.

The pack also introduces two new types of rarity. The first is a RARE card from the pack, which instead of having the typical silver embossed name for a rare card, has either a black or white name with a matte-like feel. These correspond to being a white rare, and a black rare.

The second is a new type of rarity, known as a STARFOIL rare. Every card in the set has a starfoil print, meaning there are 220 Starfoils in total. In this rarity, the whole card is covered in a shiny star-like pattern, giving the card an outer-space sort of feel.

You can vaguely see the effect on this pot of duality:-

My first report - Battle Pack Epic Dawn PotofDuality-BP01-EN-SFR-1E

So that's how the structure of the packs work. In total, there are 55 Rares, and 165 commons, with every card being available as a Starfoil (220).
Here is a link to the card list:-

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_Pack:_Epic_Dawn

New style - Sealed Pack Play

Sealed pack play is a style of play that Konami are trying to promote with this new battle pack. Sealed pack play has been going on for quite some time now with normal booster packs, however it is this Battle Pack that has been specially tiered to this style of play.
This has been taken from the official Yu-Gi-Oh website:

Each Battle Pack contains 5 carefully selected cards:
One Rare Card, with a special glossy black or glossy white card name (similar to Duelist League colored card names). These Rare Cards are your game-changers, the cards that can turn a Duel around the moment they hit the table. Your most powerful Spells, Traps, and Monsters (including Xyz Monsters) will be from these cards.

Three commons, each designed to do something different:

One will be a high-ATK monster, to bust some heads.
Another will be a low-ATK monster that’s in there for its powerful effects.
Finally, you’ll get a third common (usually a Spell or Trap) that will either take out an opponent’s card, or change the course of battle.
The fifth card in your pack is the real wild card, because it could be any of the 220 cards in the set! It’s also guaranteed to be a shiny, sparkly card like you’ve never seen before: a Starfoil Card!

So as you can see, these packs have been designed especially to work with Sealed Pack Play. Maybe it'll take off even further into the next YCS!

Card Reprints

Another big hype about this new set is actually the fact that several cards are being reprinted.

The most notorious at the moment is Tour Guide. For those of you who don't know, Tour Guide is a hugely expensive card to buy at the moment, typically going for anywhere between $100-$140. Crazy stuff. However, in this new set it is being reprinted and will be available as a Starfoil. Does this mean the price will drop for Tour Guide? Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. Nobody knows yet if the chance of pulling a Tour Guide from this set is a normal ratio, or infact specially dubbed to make it harder to obtain. Either way, the card will be out in Starfoil form. This may alter prices as there will be another method of obtaining the card, however it may not affect the prices of the secret rare that is currently so expensive, as Tour Guide is still a hugely sought after card for many meta decks in the YGO scene. Other examples of good reprints are Obelisk The Tormentor, Buster Blader and Phantom of Chaos.

The set contains several cards that could help many Meta decks, such as Lightsworns, Wind-Ups and Chaos decks.

Card Tiers

As mentioned earlier, the battle pack follows a tiering system, which consists of 4 Slots.

The Rare Cards - These are the big game changers, and here is a list.
WARNING DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO BE SURPRISED WHEN YOU OPEN YOUR PACKS.

Spoiler :

The Spells and Magics and Effects- These are tailored to destroying your opponents cards, consisting of Spell Cards, Trap Cards and Monster Effects.

Spoiler :

The Effect Monsters- These are the cards with effects that are supposed to help your deck in sticky situations.

Spoiler :

And finally, the starfoil, which can be a card from ANY of the above tiers.

Round off Information

Product Title: Battle Pack: Epic Dawn
Product Type: Battle Pack
Set Size: 220
Launch Date: 05/28/12
Konami Tournament Legal Date: 05/28/12
MSRP: $1.99 per pack

This battle pack seems fun and exciting. However with over 200 cards, people trying to make back money spent might not have as much luck with this set. If you're looking for a fun new way to play the game, this seems like the perfect pack for you. And with extra perks such as a chance of getting reprints of useful cards such as Tour Guide, and Gorz Emissary of Darkness, well it certainly seems like a set I'll be investing in.

The set can be bought online at several retailers, and in your local stores that sell YGO cards, but I'll provide you with a few online links.

Spoiler :

Enjoy! And let me know some of your best pulls!

- Stardust

descriptionMy first report - Battle Pack Epic Dawn EmptyRe: My first report - Battle Pack Epic Dawn

more_horiz
Looks good

descriptionMy first report - Battle Pack Epic Dawn EmptyRe: My first report - Battle Pack Epic Dawn

more_horiz
yea it is good Smile

Since these articles are not 100% important learning material I think we don't have to look into details with approvals so much. Here the quantity matters more :D

more_horiz
Thanks guys AND AMY :D

Last edited by Stardust on Sun May 27, 2012 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
You will have to learn new thing while you are staff now: its guys and amy.

::Monkey63::

more_horiz
Sorry Amy! I corrected myself x) FORGIVE MEEE :'(

more_horiz
I dont mind this time. usually when I do mind, those ppl get demoted :D

more_horiz
Well it's a good thing I learn from my mistakes!

more_horiz
it's guys and anzo, not guys and amy. nuffsaid.

more_horiz
Why does every freaking topic in the staff section end in a totally off-topic argueing of Anzo & Amie trying to out-boss eachother? My first report - Battle Pack Epic Dawn 3642635474

Anzo just face it...

Amie has said this to me millions of times and she is right!
She has the tits! So she has the power!! My first report - Battle Pack Epic Dawn 2896007000

'Nuff said

more_horiz
dafuq o_O i can grow up tits as well if i made my mind to it.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum