Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

descriptionDA YCS 3rd/4th Place Feature Match EmptyDA YCS 3rd/4th Place Feature Match

more_horiz
Feature Match

Vem123 (Quickdraw DandyWarrior) vs MUFC (Sabers)

Hello everyone! Today I've got a very special surprise for you all! This is a Feature Match from YCS Duel Academy featuring vem123 and MUFC in their Final Round match to determine 3rd and 4th place for the tournament. Vem123 was kind enough to make a video of their match and it can be found at the link I will provide at the end of this post. This will be a Feature Match article similar to Feature Matches given by Konami, but I'll also be occassionally interjecting with my own comments to give insight into what the duelists may have been thinking, when they were making excellent moves, and when they could've potentially made better moves. These 2 guys are both right at the top of the ladder as far as dueling expertise is concerned, so I hope you can all gain some really nice understanding through this article into how a duelist thinks during a match.

In this match, vem123 is running a deck commonly referred to as Quickdraw DandyWarrior. The main purpose of the deck is to slow down the opponent by constantly producing Fluff token from Dandylion, while Drill Warrior attacks for consistent damage every turn. MUFC, on the other hand, is using a Saber deck. Saber decks work by doing 2 things very well. The 1st is their ability to quickly summon a lot of monsters to the field. The 2nd is that they can manipulate how fast the opponent plays his/her cards. If the opponent is too timid and tries to play very cautiously, then XX-Saber Gottoms can burst onto the field and start dumping cards out of the opponent's hand. If the opponent plays too aggressively, then a Cold Wave or Trap Stun followed by a quick summon of XX-Saber Hyunlei can cost that duelist quite dearly. So, with all that being said, let's get this match-up underway!

MUFC started off the 1st duel of the match with a Pot of Duality that allowed him to pick up XX-Saber Faultroll, Cold Wave, and Gottoms Emergency Call. He chose to keep Cold Wave and shuffled the other 2 cards back into his deck. He summoned XX-Saber Fulhelmknight and set a card to end his turn.

*Now, this should've set off alarms in vem123's head that 1 of 3 things was most probable. Since MUFC gave up a chance to get an early Faultroll, he either had a really poor hand with very few monsters, or he chose Cold Wave because he had a way to summon Hyunlei already and was waiting for vem123 to overcommit. The final option is that he already had 1 copy of Faultroll in his hand and was planning to use Cold Wave to assure he could easily be summoned and could attack with it.*

vem123 started his turn drawing into a hand of 2x Pot of Avarice, Quickdraw Synchron, 2x Trap Stun, and Lonefire Blossom. Not the best way to start considering those Pots of Avarice are completely useless that early on and his monster count was incredibly low. vem123 set a Trap Stun and ended his turn.

*I think I would slightly disagree with this play by vem123. He doesn't have a good hand, but he could still be able to set something really nice up. Had he summoned Lonefire Blossom and used him to dump a 2nd Lonefire followed by a summon of Dandylion, he would've had his grave prepped with 2 monsters and 1 on the field. As long as MUFC only summons 1 more monster, he'll have 1 Fluff Token left over and if he draws a monster next turn he could've special summoned Quickdraw Synchron, synchro summoned for Drill Warrior, and had 5 monsters in his graveyard to use up 1 of those currently worthless Pots of Avarice. The play he did was maybe a bit too cautious and could really hurt him if MUFC pulls off a big Gottoms play or just summons enough monsters to do some serious early damage.*

MUFC attacked with Fulhelmknight on his turn to deal 1300 damage. He then set a monster and another spell or trap and ended his turn.

vem123 drew Giant Trunade and played it right away to clear both backrows. That allowed him to summon Lonefire Blossom, use its effect to dump a 2nd Lonefire, and then summon Tytannial, Princess of Camelias to the field. Tytannial attempted to attack but her attack was stopped by the effect of Fulhelmknight. vem123 re-set Trap Stun and ended his turn

*I'm not sure that I liked that Giant Trunade play this turn. It may have been better to hold onto Trunade. He already had Trap Stun ready to go, so it was already pretty safe to summon Tytannial without (in my opinion) wasting a Giant Trunade. Still, it was definitely the correct the decision at this point to bring out Tytannial since the only thing MUFC can really produce to attack over her is Gottoms, although with 2 monsters already on MUFC's field, the possibility for a Gottoms play is still a bit scary.*

MUFC chose to set 3 cards to his back row and end his turn.

*This could be dangerous for MUFC at this point considering that those early Trap Stuns that vem123 got could really start paying off.*

vem123 drew Monster Reborn and then attempted to attack Fulhelmknight with Tytannial, but was denied by MUFC's Book of Moon, which flipped Tytannial face-down. In Main Phase 2, vem123 activated his Trap Stun, then activated Monster Reborn to bring back a Lonefire Blossom, which tributed itself to bring out a Dandylion. He then tributed Tytannial to summon Quickdraw Synchron and Synchro Summoned Junk Destroyer and used his effect to destroy Fulhelmknight. He received 2 Fluff tokens from Dandylion as well. He then used Pot of Avarice to send 2 copies of Lonefire Blossom, Tytannial, Quickdraw Synchron, and Dandylion back to his deck and drew Book of Moon and Scapegoat. He set Book of Moon and Trap Stun before ending his turn.

*While I think that vem123's chosen move was nice for getting rid of MUFC's tuner and getting some much needed field control while using up 1 of the Pots of Avarice, I think it might have been better to play a bit more cautiously. That Trap Stun could've had better uses. At the very least he could've waited for MUFC to actually play a trap and then he could've chained Trap Stun to that effect and gotten rid of an extra card on MUFC's field. I think he was perhaps too worried about getting a chance to use up 1 of the Avarices and didn't realize that he could've saved the Monster Reborn for another turn to bring back Tytannial if MUFC was even able to destroy her. So, not a bad move, but I'm not certain it was the best move.*

MUFC drew to 4 cards in-hand, then summoned XX-Saber Boggart Knight who special summoned another Fulhelmknight. He then attempted to flip summon his XX-Saber Darksoul, and vem123 responded by using Book of Moon to turn down Fulhelmknight before he could sync it with Darksoul. Darksoul and Boggart both attacked and destroyed vem123's Fluff tokens before MUFC ended his turn.

vem123 drew Card Trooper for his next turn and immediately summoned it and used its effect with priority to dump his top 3 cards (Lonefire Blossom and 2 copies of Super-Nimble Mega Hamster) into his grave. Nice dumps for that 2nd Avarice he was still holding. Card Trooper attacked and destroyed MUFC's face-down Fulhelmknight and Junk Destroyer took out Darksoul dealing 2500 damage in the process and vem123 ended his turn with the score 6700 to 5500 in his favor. In the End Phase, MUFC used Darksoul's effect to add a Faultroll to his hand, then tried to activate Gottom's Emergency Call, but was denied when vem123 chained Trap Stun.

*I think I would've rather seen vem123 destroy Boggart Knight than Darksoul. He would've done less LP damage, but delaying Darksoul's effect an extra turn might have been worth it.*

MUFC drew to 4 cards, then set a card to his back row, and attacked Card Trooper with Boggart Knight scoring 1500 damage and vem123 drew Debris Dragon through Card Trooper's effect. MUFC ended his turn.

vem123 drew into Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter. He attacked Boggart Knight with Junk Destroyer and MUFC chained his 2nd Gottom's Emergency Call to revive Fulhelmknight and Darksoul. In the resulting replay for the battle, vem123 continued to attack and destroy Boggart Knight inflicting 700 damage. In his 2nd Main Phase, vem123 summoned Debris Dragon and used its effect to special summon Lonefire Blossom. He synchro summoned Black Rose Dragon and cleared the field, then activated Pot of Avarice to send Lonefire Blossom, Junk Destroyer, Debris Dragon, Mega Hamster, and Card Trooper back to his deck and extra deck to draw Dark Hole and Ryko. He set Scapegoat and ended his turn. MUFC used Darksoul's effect to search for XX-Saber Emmersblade during the End Phase.

*I'm gonna say both sides could've potentially played this turn better. When given the replay after MUFC used E-Call, vem
should've probably chosen to attack Fulhelmknight, and regardless of what was chosen, MUFC should've negated the attack with Fulhelmknight's effect, since he was probably planning on using him to synchro summon something on hsi next turn. I'm also uncertain about vem giving up a good beatstick for a Black Rose Dragon that he could've just as easily summoned the next turn if things had gone downhill. It might have been better to simply set a Ryko, and then still have the Black Rose Dragon available on the next turn if the field needed to be cleared. The other thing this did, was make the card advantage situation better for MUFC. He had a 1 card advantage before Black Rose Dragon and ended up with a 1 card advantage afterwards as well, but the difference is the total number of cards on the field and in the hand. A 1 card advantage is much more devastating the more a duel is simplied. If you are behind in the card count, it is typically better to keep the duel as complex as possible to make up for being at a disadvantage.*

MUFC drew to 5 cards and set a monster before ending his turn with the duel standing at 4800 to 5200 in vem123's favor.

*I think MUFC had enough LP that he could've just summoned Emmersblade and attacked. Worst situation is that he further extends his card advantage by forcing vem to use up his face-down card.*

vem123 drew Charge of the Light Brigade, and activated it immediately, sending Dandylion, Mega Hamster, and Spore to his graveyard to add Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress to his hand. He brought out 2 Fluff tokens from Dandylion as well. He then summoned Lyla and activated Spore's effect to remove Dandylion from his grave and special summon Spore (4-stars). He used Spore and the 2 Fluff tokens to Synchro summon Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier and discard a Ryko to return MUFC's face-down monster to his hand. Lyla and Brionac attacked for 4000 damage bringing MUFC down to just 800 LP remaining. In his End Phase, vem123 discarded Ryko, Solemn Judgment, and Lonefire from the top of his deck for Lyla's effect.

*A better move may have been to play Dark Hole before Charge, since he didn't know Charge was going to set him up quite so well, and it could've potentially made those Fluff tokens gear him toward a Goyo Guardian, or maybe he could've summoned a Ryko and then used Spore, Ryko, and the 2 tokens to bring out an 8-star monster like Red Dragon Archfiend or Stardust Dragon or Thought Ruler Archfiend, or even Colossal Fighter. His play still ended up being great, but only because he lucked out a bit on the discards from Charge.*

MUFC drew to 6 cards. He used Mind Control on Brionac, then discarded Faultroll to send Lyla back to vem's hand. He discarded Fulhelmknight to send Brionac back to the extra deck, then set a monster and ended his turn.

*I think better would've been to take Lyla, then summon Fulhelmknight and bring out Arcanite Magician in defense mode. He then could've destroyed both Brionac and vem's backrow card (not knowing that it was Scapegoat, but still...) and ended up at least potentially in a slightly better position without having to discard all those cards for Brionac's effect.*

Of course, it doesn't matter much anyway, since vem123 was able to play Dark Hole next turn which would've caused MUFC to offer the handshake no matter which way he played it, but the point here is simply to try to think and learn. So the 1st duel went to vem123 after a long, back and forth battle.

-------------------------------------------

MUFC chose to go 1st in duel #2 and opened with 2 face-down cards in his back row before passing.

*Note that a play like this can mean 1 of 3 things. Either he has nothing and is just putting stuff down as a bluff (sort of unlikely this early in the duel) or he simply has no monsters in his hand, or lastly he has a really good monster play, but wants to lure you into committing to the field before he makes it, while also waiting to make the play on a turn when he can actually attack so that the monsters stay safe in his hand. Also, the probability for 1 of those cards to be Bottomless Trap Hole, Dimensional Fissure, or Book of Moon will be pretty high in this kind of situation.*

vem123 opened with a hand of Trap Stun, Book of Moon, Bottomless Trap Hole, Pot of Avarice, Dark Hole, and Monster Reborn. He set Trap Stun and ended his turn.

*Personally, I probably would've either set just Bottomless Trap Hole, or set Trap Stun with Book of Moon. That way if the opponent actually is just waiting a turn so he can summon a bunch of monsters and attack, then you will at least have some form of protection. You can't assume that just because your opponent didn't open with a monster play that he actually has no monsters.*

MUFC drew and activated Pot of Duality. He picked up Gottoms Emergency Call, Nobleman of Crossout, and Boggart Knight, choosing to keep Gottoms Emergency Call. He then promptly ended his turn.

*Seeing that E-Call get chosen should be setting off big red flares in vem's head that all is not right in the world. If MUFC actually didn't have any monsters to work with, he would've quickly taken Boggart Knight.*

vem123 drew Ryko and set him before ending his turn.

*Again, the fact that he took Gottoms means that he definitely has monsters and vem perhaps should've protected himself a bit better by setting either Book of Moon or Bottomless Trap Hole.*

MUFC drew to 6 cards, then activated Mind Control to take vem's Ryko. He flipped it up to target vem123's face-down, and vem123 chained his Trap Stun to the effect. MUFC discarded 2 copies of Emmersblade and a Faultroll from the top of his deck for Ryko's effect, and then summoned Darksoul and attacked with Darksoul for 100 damage. In Main Phase 2 he set another card to his back row and ended.

*Wanna take bets that it's the E-Call he got earlier now that he has a Saber on the field?*

vem123 drew and summoned Lyla, but MUFC paid 2000 LP to negate the summon with Solemn Warning. vem123 activated Book of Moon and targeted Darksoul, hoping that MUFC would take the bait and chain his Gottoms Emergency Call so that he could wipe the field with Dark Hole. However, MUFC chose not to chain anything to it and allowed Darksoul to be flipped face-down. Vem123 used Monster Reborn to summon Lyla again, then attacked Darksoul with Ryko. Lyla made a direct attack for 1700 damage and in Main Phase 2 vem123 turned Lyla to defense position and targeted the trap that was not Gottoms Emergency Call. He instead hit Solemn Judgment. He set his Bottomless Trap Hole, and then in his End Phase discarded Mystical Space Typhoon, Quickdraw Synchron, and Mirror Force for Lyla's effect. MUFC took Fulhelmknight for Darksoul's effect and the duel stood at 7900 to 4300 in vem123's favor.

*I think I definitely would've targeted the trap that was almost certainly Gottoms Emergency Call over an unknown trap. Especially with enough material in his grave to make good use of the card. Hitting Solemn Judgment was nice though.*

MUFC drew to 5 cards with 1 face-down in his back row against his opponent's Lyla and Ryko, with vem123 having 1 face-down and 2 cards in-hand. MUFC summoned Fulhelmknight and used it to attack and destroy Lyla. Fulhelmknight's effect kicked in and he special summoned Emmersblade who then attacked Ryko dealing 1100 damage to vem123's LP. While still in the Battle Phase, MUFC activated Gottoms Emergency Call and went to bring back 2 copies of Darksoul in defense position. In Main Phase 2 he used both copies of Darksoul along with Fulhelmknight to synchro summon Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier! vem123 chained Bottomless Trap Hole, but lost Dark Hole from his hand along with the Quickdraw Synchron in his graveyard. MUFC set a card to his back row, and in his End Phase searched out XX-Saber Pashuul and Faultroll from the effects of his 2 Darksouls. He was sitting very high with a 5-card advantage.

*My only gripe is that if he was going to use the Darksouls for Trishula anyway, why not summon them in attack mode for the extra 200 damage?*

vem123 drew Debris Dragon to go along with his Pot of Avarice. He summoned it and brought back Ryko from his graveyard, then synchro summoned Iron Chain Dragon. The Dragon attacked and destroyed MUFC's Emmersblade dealing 1200 damage, and MUFC summoned Fulhelmknight in its place, then discarded Torrential Tribute, Boggart Knight, and Pot of Duality for Iron Chain Dragon's effect. vem123 ended his turn and on MUFC's next turn MUFC flipped over his face-down Gottoms Emergency Call and vem123 conceded the loss.

-------------------------------------------

Vem123 decided to go 1st in the final game of the match and opened with a hand of Debris Dragon, Lonefire Blossom, Ryko, Mega Hamster, Dandylion, and Solemn Warning - quite the wonderful hand. He set Mega Hamster and Solemn Warning before ending his turn.

*That's 1 good way to play it. Another is to use Lonefire to dump another Lonefire to bring out Dandylion to quickly prep very good plays with Debris Dragon on the next turn, and to fill up the grave and thin the deck so that the next draw is more likely to be a good spell or trap with 2 less monsters in the deck. My way is a bit more aggressive while vem's way is a bit more cautious. Both are good, it's just 2 different play-styles.*

MUFC drew and immediately set 4 cards to his back row before ending his turn.

*If your opponent ever does this to you, unless the person is using something like Counter Fairies or a Dark Simorgh/Anti-Spell lockdown deck, typically the best thing to do is just play slowly but suredly and have him use up his traps 1 by 1. It may look scary, but playing too tightly in this position is just as bad as playing too loosely, which you obviously won't want to do.*

vem123 drew into another copy of Lonefire Blossom (haha, he wouldn't have done that if he'd gone about things my way xD). He summoned a Lonefire but chose not to use priority for its effect and MUFC chained Torrential Tribute. vem123 ended his turn.

*Always, always, always, flip summon the Mega Hamster before making other plays. If anything, if MUFC hadn't chained Torrential when Mega Hamster summoned a monster, then vem would've gotten a free attack in, and could always choose to play safely by not summoning another monster at that time. I would consider what vem did to be a very aggressive play that was probably not good considering his opponent had 4 potential traps on the field.*

MUFC drew to 3 cards and summoned Boggart Knight without special summoning any other monster. Boggart Knight attacked for 1900 damage and MUFC ended his turn.

*It may have been better for MUFC to use up some more of his traps before summoning Boggart since it would've given him time to wait for a monster to special summon alongside Boggart.*

vem123 drew Torrential Tribute. He set both it and Ryko before ending his turn.

*Probably the safest play in the situation. He could've also summoned Lonefire and tributed it for a Dandylion which also would've been safe and may have set up a Black Rose Dragon play with Debris Dragon for the next turn.*

MUFC drew and then summoned Pashuul. He attempted to synchro summon Hyunlei, but vem123 responded to the summon with Solemn Warning, paying 2000 LP to negate Hyunlei's summon and MUFC ended his turn.

*I might've tried simply attacking with Boggart and then waiting for Main Phase 2 to attempt summoning Hyunlei. Still, would've been a tough choice.*

vem123 drew into a 2nd copy of Debris Dragon. He flip summoned Ryko and targeted 1 of MUFC's traps that turned out to be Trap Stun, and vem123 discarded Effect Veiler, Charge of the Light Brigade, and Caius the Shadow Monarch from the top of his deck for Ryko's effect. He then attempted to summon Debris Dragon, but MUFC responded with his own copy of Solemn Warning. Ryko attacked for 200 damage and the duel stood at 5800 to 4100 in MUFC's favor.

MUFC drew to 3 cards, then set a card for a total of 3 set cards in his back row before ending his turn.

vem123 drew Solemn Judgment, then summoned his other copy of Debris Dragon and brought Lonefire Blossom back from his graveyard. He used all the monsters on his field to synchro summon Trishula who removed a Gottoms Emergency Call from MUFC's hand, a Pashuul from his graveyard, and 1 of his face-down traps (sorry, I couldn't see what it was in the video and apparently vem didn't care enough to check). Trishula attacked for 2700 damage and vem123 set his Solemn Judgment before ending his turn with a huge lead.

MUFC drew to 2 cards in-hand with 1 face-down still in his back row. He set another face-down and ended.

vem123 summoned Lonefire Blossom who attacked together with Trishula to take the final duel in the match, along with the 3rd Place prize for YCS Duel Academy!

I hope all of you enjoyed reading this Feature Match from YCS Duel Academy and perhaps some of you even managed to learn something about how duelists should be thinking in tournament level play.

youtube video if you want to follow along with the analysis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCr1FG6O2GU&feature=player_embedded

Last edited by nekofjung on Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

descriptionDA YCS 3rd/4th Place Feature Match EmptyRe: DA YCS 3rd/4th Place Feature Match

more_horiz
this is probably one of your Best Article EVER!! since it shows you how easily and effectively you can read ur opponent, not to mention the other dozens of tips and techniques concealed in this wonderful master piece

very well done :D

P.S. sorry if i spam in ur threads too much Razz

descriptionDA YCS 3rd/4th Place Feature Match EmptyRe: DA YCS 3rd/4th Place Feature Match

more_horiz
Yep, he's a sacker you gotta admit it ! 8D
But I played pretty badly in r1, r3 Couldn't do anything with his uber-awesome hand, while I drew S/T only.
You are the best neko, thanks very much Smile

more_horiz
Your post rocks :D

more_horiz
Nice article keep them coming

more_horiz
Wow. This is honestly a lot better than normal feature matches, you gave a lot of really good insight into plays and what was advantageous and what could have been done better. Very well done, you never cease tom impress, Neko.

more_horiz
Too awesome. Really nice job. I see that you think a lot in the way i think most of the times, aggresively. But if i chose to go aggresive with such a bad hand in duel 1 and vs sabers i would have lost. That's why i played more defensively than i usually do and i did more missplays than i usually do Razz (i do around 952 missplays match in average :D )
I was lucky that mufc missplayed too Razz

more_horiz
Wasn't particularly trying to say that your way was wrong or bad vem. Was only giving suggestions into other good possibilities as a way to show other players different ways of thinking through a duel. Was seriously not attempting to say that you were particularly "misplaying". It was simply an analysis that was meant to give people more to think about.

more_horiz
Really good article, way better than most I've read from the YCS coverages to be honest.
Also your adds about other possible ways to play were all quite nice.
Once again, great job, neko.

more_horiz
Amazing, just amazing +1 rep

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply