Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

descriptionDeck and Tournament Summary: November 1st EmptyDeck and Tournament Summary: November 1st

more_horiz
Yesterday I attended our locals. I was running Monarchs featuring Debris Dragon (in other words, Quickdraw without the Quickdraws.)

I made a fair amount of fixes to this deck including:
-Siding Battle Faders
-Maindecking Debris Dragon
-Taking out Destiny Draw and 2 Malicious (tested with these and it was terrible)
-Changed the side deck to appropriately match 95% of my meta
-Putting in a Necro Gardna, Foolish Burial and Burial from a Different Dimension
-Taking out Royal Decree

Decklist:

Monsters (25)
1 Dark Armed Dragon
2 Chaos Sorcerer
3 Caius the Shadow Monarch
2 Raiza the Storm Monarch
2 Cyber Dragon
1 Card Trooper
2 Debris Dragon
2 Dandylion
3 Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter
1 Plaguespreader Zombie
1 Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind
2 Krebons
1 Treeborn Frog
1 Sangan
1 Necro Gardna

Spells (13)
2 Pot of Avarice
1 Emergency Teleport
2 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 Monster Reborn
1 Dark Hole
1 Mind Control
1 Foolish Burial
1 Allure of Darkness
1 Charge of the Light Brigade
1 Burial from a Different Dimension
1 Book of Moon

Traps (3)
1 Mirror Force
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Solemn Judgment

Extra:
2 Chimeratech Fortress Dragon
2 Black Rose Dragon
1 Black-Winged Dragon
1 Dark End Dragon
1 Stardust Dragon
1 Blackwing Armed Wing
1 Blackwing Armor Master
1 Goyo Guardian
1 Red Dragon Archfiend
1 Thought Ruler Archfiend
1 Magical Android
1 Ally of Justice Catastor
1 Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier

Side Deck:
2 Pulling the Rug
2 Jinzo
3 Battle Fader
1 Divine Wrath
2 Nobleman of Extermination
2 Prohibition
1 Royal Oppression
2 D.D. Crow

I like having excess monsters in a milling deck. Lightsworns are played the same way, but the two Pot of Avarices and Burial are what really make this deck. RFG would put a huge damper on the game, but only one person plays RFG at locals. I forgot to take out Black-Winged Dragon for Iron Chain Dragon, but it didn't cost me in any match, fortunately.

This deck has 6 major 'problem decks', outlined below:

Quickdraw: 70-30
Because it runs like Quickdraw (except for the lack of Quickdraws) a common Monster Reborn target is my opponent's Tytannial. Quickdraw is not that difficult to win against if you go first. If you go second and they get the Drill Warrior loop going, it becomes somewhat of a problem, particularly when dealing with Dandylions in their graveyard and they start winning card advantage.

Gladiator Beasts: 70-30
Gladiator Beasts want to hit something that doesn't destroy their monsters and can prove pesky in the form of War Chariot. However, even when a tag is made, so many of my cards can combine off one another to provide the Gladiator Beast player with a lot of doubt. In addition, the Nobleman of Exterminations can easily get rid of 3 War Chariots swiftly, Prohibition can cause them to be unable to play their power cards, and Royal Oppression ultimately stops them in their tracks.

X-Sabers: 60-40
X-Sabers are a problem because of Darksoul, Faultroll and Hyunlei. However, this deck has a lot of outs for a swarming OTK, particularly in the form of Battle Faders and Royal Oppression in the Side Deck. A well-timed Cyber Dragon with a Plaguespreader Zombie in the graveyard (or a Debris Dragon with Dandylion) can turn a game upside down in a matter of seconds, and with people normally swarming mid to late game, the counter can often prove to be overwhelming. Siding in Royal Oppression can cause this to slow down, particularly in late game when a Hyunlei is summoned, however be aware that Royal Oppression can hinder this deck too.

Machinas: 50-50
Machinas provide a lot of trouble because of their nature to build and build card advantage. Gearframe is a +1, Gadgets are all a +1, Fortress can't be D.D. Crowed unless already in the Graveyard. Pulling the Rugs stop those pesky Gadgets as well as Gearframe, and the two Maindecked Cyber Dragons can provide a breath of relief to a swarming. Plus, the Battle Faders can save you for a turn to Dark Hole. Royal Oppression is a lifesaver against Machinas, but there's not a great chance of drawing it.

Blackwings: 50-50
Again even odds, mainly because of all the +1s Blackwings have, and they are likely to be impervious to a Black Rose attempt. In addition, Veyu in the Graveyard provides them with even more advantage. Royal Oppression Stops Blackwings in their tracks and Prohibition can stop Whirlwind from ever hitting the field. In a late game situation, Battle Fader can prove to be very powerful.

Stun: 30-70
Stun is excellent in this format, and with it working so hard against Quickdraw and this deck using the Quickdraw-style engine, it is incredibly difficult to make a win out of it. Your best bet is to side in Nobleman of Extermination, hope to draw one, and get an early Jinzo on the field. Prohibition also helps, however with the significant amount of control STUN currently has, it is the worst matchup.

1st round
versus Nick (Lightsworns)

Nick is on my team, and I know his deck inside and out.

Game 1: He swarms with a JD, I have dandy in my hand and blow his field, two tokens on mine. I topdeck a monarch and proceed to spin then remove his Ryko for the win.
Game 2: Again he swarms with JD/Lumina/Wulf/2 tokens, I Cyber Dragon with Plague, knowing very well I sent monster reborn to the top of my deck. He topdecks nothing useful, I get Stardust and beat him down.

1-0

Round 2: Against Branden (Quickdraw)

Game 1: I proceed with a third turn OTK after using Charge of the Light Brigade, special summoning Chaos Sorcerer (with removal effect), Dark Armed Dragon, Krebons into Dark End Dragon via Emergency Teleport, Special Summoning *another* Chaos Sorcerer and finally getting Red Dragon Archfiend. (2800+3000+2600)
Game 2: I draw no spells or traps, stall for a few turns, mill all my spells and traps. Scoop quickly.
Game 3: I draw 2 Cyber Dragons, 2 Monarchs, Ryko and Mind Control. First turn I take his Ryko, use it on his back row, then set mine. He destroys it, I summon Cyber Dragon (he used Bottomless Trap Hole on the first), Special Summon a second, remove his face-down Sangan via Caius, and beat him down with minimal effort.

2-0

Round 3: Against Rob (Counter Fairies)
Game 1: I summon Thought Ruler Archfiend and Stardust Dragon, first turn and destroy his Nova Summoner, which he uses to Special Summon The Fool. I am forced to Dark Hole my field afer a few turns, he beats me down and I topdeck Debris Dragon, blowing his field for a +7 (!!!) I then topdeck a Raiza, spin his face-down card, summon Caius, remove it, and attack for the win.
Game 2: He absolutely destroys me. I draw Dandylions, Monarchs, and Necro Gardna and can't mill anything.
Game 3: I open Cyber Dragon, 3 Ryko, Dark Armed Dragon, and Mind Control. We start getting low on cards, I drop Dark Armed Dragon and he scoops.

3-0

Round 4: Against Jeremy Thibeau (Quickdraw)
He and I are also on the same team, so it's for first and second, doesn't matter the outcome.
Game 1: I destroy him with a Dark Armed Dragon , but he gets a Black Rose Dragon for a topdeck battle, which I win.
Game 2: Tough game. I get him to 1300 Life Points, but he topdecks Lonefire for Tytannial and beats me down.
Game 3: We get into a late game situation in which time is called. I have his Tytannial, he flops Debris Dragon down and clears the field with Black Rose Dragon. Next turn, he topdecks Monster Reborn for the win.

3-1

2nd place

I pull a Chivalry out of my 4 packs, which is good for my STUN deck.

Props:

-Our team went 1-2-3-4, for the 4 of us. Wow. Overall record for the night: 13-3, with all three losses between team members.
-Members of the team pulled a Scrap Dragon too.
-Deck is working just fine.

Slops:
-Losing out and placing second, but his tiebreakers were much worse than mine.

If you have deck suggestions (apart from putting in Quickdraws, as I refuse to play that deck specifically) let me know.

-Jin

descriptionDeck and Tournament Summary: November 1st EmptyRe: Deck and Tournament Summary: November 1st

more_horiz
i just wants to say .. Really amazing duelz .. i read your duelz twice cuz its kinda fun and helps to "live the action" xD. About the deck ... i was trying for 5 minutes to find something wrong with it but i couldn't .. generaly you can't make it better than this with the current ban list imo .. So just keep it like that (just an opinion).
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply