Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

Tokyo Ghoul

power_settings_newLogin to reply
+8
Linda-Senpai
BlackWarGreymon
A Spooky Ghostie
Skitoritto
Anzo
UniqueHope
Galaksii
Train Heartnet
12 posters

descriptionTokyo Ghoul EmptyTokyo Ghoul

more_horiz
Bringing you yet another anime that is going to be fucking amazing.

Episode 1

descriptionTokyo Ghoul EmptyDefault Title

more_horiz
Heard some people say it's good... :3

more_horiz
Let me know how it goes 5 episodes in, could do with more anime

descriptionTokyo Ghoul EmptyRe: Tokyo Ghoul

more_horiz
More animes, less life. Good.

more_horiz
What's the story-line here?

People turning into some monsters and killing other people?

more_horiz
22:12:30
Galaksii wrote:
What's the story-line here?

People turning into some monsters and killing other people?

There is a hidden society of monsters named Ghouls who divided the country into their hunting territory with their own set of rules. Our protagonist happens to be a half Ghoul also each Ghoul has different abilities.

more_horiz
Ok you've sold it, im watching it.

more_horiz
Bleach with cohones,me gusta.

more_horiz
The first episode was meh

They should have taken more time to develop the characters, instead they threw everything at us in their first episode.

more_horiz
More development next episode, its like that every time a new anime starts.

more_horiz
Is the next one out yet? Didn't quite find it

more_horiz
Yes, Episode 2 is up. It's slightly better than the first one, at least we got to have few seconds of supernatural fighting.

more_horiz
Are you kidding me? Amazing? After the first episode it's just seemed like your standard "OH NO, I'M A MONSTER INSIDE THAT SUFFERS FROM HETEROCHROMIA" edgy bullshit.

more_horiz
I don't think It's bad. Animes of such type doesn't stand out until there is a real fight scenario and shit like that.

more_horiz
A Spooky Ghostie wrote:
Are you kidding me? Amazing? After the first episode it's just seemed like your standard "OH NO, I'M A MONSTER INSIDE THAT SUFFERS FROM HETEROCHROMIA" edgy bullshit.

Let me guess you are an AoT fan cuz you hate everything that does not resemble that piece of garbage.

more_horiz
Well I watched the episodes and I think it's a neat concept, ghouls haven't been used as much and it leaves some room for actual entertainment.
The takeover scenes seemed a bit generic, but it's a bit difficult to generate that situation irl..

more_horiz
Train Heartnet wrote:
A Spooky Ghostie wrote:

Let me guess you are an AoT fan cuz you hate everything that does not resemble that piece of garbage.

Hah, really? Straight to ad hominem as opposed to addressing the quality of the show we're discussing? Actually, I agree entirely that SnK was completely overrated, in the same way that SaO, the big three and, what hopefully not as much so, Tokyo Ghoul. 

It has the potential to be interesting (Something like Saya no Uta), but it's going to turn out just like any anime with a heterchromatic special snowflake MC does. Just a wash of pretty colors, overplayed action scenes and absolute garbage tier characterization. 

It's just another sad attempt at doing a horror anime, which really pisses me off because it misses the whole point. It's horror in the same way that something like Elfen Lied is, or something like Blood + would be. It's shock. That's it. 

They seem like they try and try to show horror through anime, but they always fuck it up because they completely miss the point of horror. Manga can get it right but, and you'd think that being able to build atmosphere better than a less visual medium would give it an advantage, I've yet to see a good 'horror' anime. The closest I've seen to passable was Another, and some parts of that were laughable.

At this rate, Tokyo Ghoul seems like it's going to turn out more like 11 Eyes. Just playing out like a poorly written fanfic with underdeveloped characters to make way for more shock scenes. Oh no! He's a guy who is being driven mad by his own bloodlust that he didn't feel before! Want to know something? I actually like to CARE about my characters before I'm told I need to care about them.

more_horiz
If you want to watch horror anime watch Monster. How the hell is this classified as horror? It makes no sense whatsoever. For a horror anime to be horror it should actually scare you, this is action filled with a lot of gore. Nowhere near horror.

more_horiz
Train Heartnet wrote:
If you want to watch horror anime watch Monster. How the hell is this classified as horror? It makes no sense whatsoever. For a horror anime to be horror it should actually scare you, this is action filled with a lot of gore. Nowhere near horror.

Which was partially my point. They're trying to in the same way Pupa tried to last season, as well as any other "horror" anime. The fact that you don't even associate it as such kind of gives way to that fact. Just look at the atmosphere they're trying and failing to set. 

I will, however, be fair and say that the "Lack of characterization" thing is only an assumption of things to come, as it's following a pretty cut and paste template. Right down to the "Main character looks down at his hand, being able to 'feel' the stuff inside him as he begins to regard himself as a monster." 

I've seen it more than my fair share of times, and at this point it makes me cringe every time. Honestly I think my face was imploding halfway through all the way to the end. I guess we'll see how it pans out. Like I said, I hope it's just more Saya no Uta and less 11 Eyes.

Oh, and just as an ending note, go on any anime list and check out the tags for it. Here are just a few examples. 

http://myanimelist.net/anime/22319/Tokyo_Ghoul

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Ghoul

http://tokyoghoul.wikia.com/wiki/Tokyo_Ghoul_Wiki

I'm seeing a distinct "Horror" tag, even in the Tokyo Ghoul Wiki itself.

more_horiz
Please m8, I honestly enjoyed Snk, don't bash animes just cause you don't agree with how it turned out.
Also horror or not, this is the atmosphere the creators went for, it's all up to taste. If you want to say that they are terrible at what they do then so be it, that's your taste. Otherwise you're just being an ass.

more_horiz
    First off, I'll start by saying that I never said that SnK was bad. I said it was overrated. It was Train that said it was bad, but I'm somehow catching the flack for it. Moving on.

I'm not bashing anime because I didn't like how they turned out, I'm giving a content based opinion. Things can be objectively bad, but, that said, I'm not saying that means people shouldn't like them. Hell, one of my favorite anime is School Days and it's a fucking train wreck. By all means, if you want to bash it create a separate thread and go right ahead. I'll join right in, as well as talk about its few merits. 

My point is that you shouldn't dickride something. Then your 'discussion' is entirely "Oh, this was good, oh, I loved that" and completely avoiding the bad aspects, and that's just boring. Then it isn't discussing, it's a circlejerk.

Can you actually truly be a fan while blindly enjoying something? I mean really? Actual discussion being held consists of a back and fourth of "This was good, but this was lacking". Now we're completely off the topic of the anime itself though, and on to something completely different. 

Anyway, Tl:Dr, to sum it up, I really don't think having a negative opinion of something and wanting to discuss it is really being an asshole any more than someone having a positive opinion about it and wanting to discuss it. This thread is for discussion of Tokyo Ghoul, and I jumped in in attempt to discuss Tokyo Ghoul. I was discussing some severely negative points that I caught while watching it and pointing out that it's not going to be by any means 'amazing'.

And now to actually be "That guy" that I'm being accused of. The plural of anime is anime. No "s". 

more_horiz
Don't mind bringing out what could be better, just that you haven't said a single good thing about any of the animes you've mentioned >.>

more_horiz
tl;dr

more_horiz
Bump this, the badassery is about to begin and will not stop.

more_horiz
I like his mask

more_horiz
Finally, he got his mask, time to eat some people :>

more_horiz
They made Kaneki look so damn weak when he is not, in the manga he was running circles around Amon.

Spoiler :

more_horiz
Why would they do something different that how it exists in the manga.

more_horiz
they skipped sooooooooooo much, here is the chapters of the fight with Amon http://mangafox.me/manga/tokyo_ghoul/v03/c024/2.html

http://mangafox.me/manga/tokyo_ghoul/v03/c025/10.html

http://mangafox.me/manga/tokyo_ghoul/v03/c026/4.html

more_horiz
Perhaps they're planning for Amon to clash with Kaneki later ?

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply