Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

descriptionProblem Solved due to Card Text EmptyProblem Solved due to Card Text

more_horiz

Problem Solved due to Card Text

This is going to be my first article, so spare me and don't burn me with hellfire...

Here, see, I even have my Flame Shield on.

Problem Solved due to Card Text LgBct
Okay, jokes aside, let's start the wall-o'-text.

New card effect template

As you may know, every card since the first Structure Deck of Yuma, YS11, all cards follow a new scheme of card text.
Let's look a simple card like Dimensional Prison. You all know it. If not, here's a link for you: Click here.
Its PSCT is as follows:
When an opponent's monster declares an attack: Target that monster; banish that target.

Now, however, if we look at the old card text, which says...

Dimensional Prison wrote:
Activate only when your opponent declares an attack. Remove from play the attacking monster.

What changed?

Everything BEFORE the first colon [ : ] in a sentence are activation requirements. These cannot be ignored.
For example, you cannot use the effect of Card Trooper during your opponent's turn. Same goes for Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon or Dimensional Alchemist.

Furthermore, all parts AFTER the colon [ : ] but BEFORE the FIRST semi-colon [ ; ] are activation costs or things that happen at activation. You must pay these costs or most perform all necessary actions at activation before the actual card effect happens and they do not count as part of the card effect.

As you can already guess, continuing from above paragraph, everything AFTER the FIRST semi-colon [ ; ] happens at resolution of an effect; this can never be chained to. The only possible thing that could here would be continuous effects applying.

If we now take the card I used as an example, we can see that the card (Dimensional Prison) exactly shows that.

When an opponent's monster declares an attack:

This part is the activation requirement(s). As we see, an opponent's monster has to declare an attack for us to use D. Prison.

Target that monster;
This part is the cost, or, in this case, things that happen at activation. You select the attacking monster, you directly declare it as your target. Now is the time for you or your opponent to activate card effects or cards. After this point, after you targeted the monster and after no other cards or effects were activated in the chain, the chain resolves.

banish that target.

This is the resolution if the card effect. Here, the monster will be banished. As I already mentioned, these effects cannot be chained to.

Old card text phrases changes

Next, a short look at old card text that has been changed to something exciting and super exciting.

Examples

Remove from play -> Banish

During a battle between this Attack Position card and a monster in Defense Position, if the ATK of this card is higher than the DEF of the attacked monster, inflict the difference to your opponent as Battle Damage -> Piercing Damage (thanks God for this necessary change)

If there are any questions regarding this article, feel free to post or drop a PM.

Last edited by Irate on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

descriptionProblem Solved due to Card Text EmptyRe: Problem Solved due to Card Text

more_horiz
I was wondering if anybody else even remembered Flame Champion (one of my favorite old school cards).

Anyway, nice job on addressing this. I'm going to assume that it's more in-depth than the wiki article, and that's it's going to help people moreso than the wiki article.

descriptionProblem Solved due to Card Text EmptyRe: Problem Solved due to Card Text

more_horiz
It's generally just the BRA article; overworked.

Thanks for feedback :3

more_horiz
GirlChan wrote:
I was wondering if anybody else even remembered Flame Champion (one of my favorite old school cards).

Flame Champion has nothing to my beloved Mister Volcano.

more_horiz
Potus Mat wrote:
GirlChan wrote:

Flame Champion has nothing to my beloved Mister Volcano.
Neither of which have anything on Twin-Headed Fire Dragon.

more_horiz
Or on my Celtic Guardian because its the most rarest and strongest card, Yugi! The Legendary Celtic Guardian!

more_horiz
Nice one Smile Good job!

more_horiz
So for short, everything after the semi-colon is the resolution of everything that is after the colon?

Can't chain so, about D. Prison again, for example, Prison targets, monster to Graveyard so can't chain with Iron Wall?

Gotta catch dem Rulings all :I

more_horiz
Conditions are now always followed by a colon ( : ).
Activation text is separated from the card effects by a semicolon ( ; ).
The basic structure is CONDITIONS : ACTIVATION ; RESOLUTION.

more_horiz
Thanks. Don't know why I missed that. Much easier now.

more_horiz
Yillion wrote:
So for short, everything after the semi-colon is the resolution of everything that is after the colon?

Can't chain so, about D. Prison again, for example, Prison targets, monster to Graveyard so can't chain with Iron Wall?

Gotta catch dem Rulings all :I

What L said. Also, you can chain Iron Wall when D. Prison activates Oh Shit lolol not when it resolves Oh Shit

You can get more things about that in here: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Rulings:Dimensional_Prison

Have fun.

more_horiz
Nice article ^^

more_horiz
You slowpoke shjt ._.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply