Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

descriptionRegionals Report, February 18th, 2012 EmptyRegionals Report, February 18th, 2012

more_horiz
Greetings. My name is Jin, I'm a Judge in Duel Academy and I'm going to tell you about the wonderful experience I had judging a Yugioh Regionals event.

My day started at 6 AM, when I woke up and got ready to go to Regionals. I knew I was judging that day and thus I had offered to one of my teammates to play my Inzektors. He gladly accepted. I knew that in my case three of my teammates were playing: Tom, JT, and Jonah.

I brought along lots of liquids so I would stay hydrated and made sure that I had plenty to eat throughout the day. So we ended up going from my city, Fredericton, to Moncton. It's about a 2-hour drive. Highlights from the drive:

-Showing Tom how to play Inzektors
-Driver getting a speeding ticket for going 131 on a 110 highway
-Us showing late to the event (not a big deal, fortunately)

Anyhow. Moving on. We arrive at the event, I'm not playing. I also don't see the man who flipped out at me at last Regionals. I truly believe this is a good thing (not that I'd be biased anyway, but if you don't know your stuff you really shouldn't be playing at a Regionals). I met with Craig, who is the Event Organizer, we shook hands and my day started right as I got there.

I was soon going to realize that an indoor voice wasn't acceptable to judge with, since there were 70 players, and my first task was to make sure they weren't hoarding the parking spots for customers and that they put their jackets in the small area for them.

Then, the three of us (Craig, Jordan - the other judge, and I) counted out 70 groups of 5 packs... which, for those of you who can't figure it out, is an absolutely insane number. We took up an entire counter space with those packs. Pairings went up at around 10:30 and with 70 people, there were -seven- rounds. This was the first seven round Regionals ever in Moncton.

Jordan and I rock-paper-scissor for who gets what room. I lost, so I got the lower tables. However, this was a good thing: I had a coffee maker, I had the air-conditioned room, and all in all it was great.

I helped hand out packs in the first round and had three ruling questions. One appeal... Scott told him I was right. I passed out match slips... this isn't so bad. No one went to time in Round 1 on my tables.

In between rounds, I've decided to use the brewer to make hot chocolate. Round two comes along, there are some deck checks but everyone is on time... except for this one person without an opponent. Ten minutes pass... he doesn't show. I give the opponent a match loss. Collect papers, answer rulings, call time. Really what I did all day.

Big news: At round 2 I am given my stipend for the day as well as a box of Order of Chaos and asked to fill out my form for how the event was at some point later in the day. Also, my teammates at the end of round 3 are all 3-0.

We go to lunch. Because I'm a Judge I get free pizza, but I decide to use the money to go elsewhere since too much pizza is hard on my stomach.

I get back at 2:20. Round 4 starts at 2:30. Good enough. I get back in time, buy some stuff from the shop, and get back to my tables. It's actually quite uneventful - more signing slips, more judging calls, more passing out slips. A lot of 'being on one's feet'. Lots of walking around the tables checking for errors. Especially in the matter of swearing.

At the end of round 6 people are told there will be a win-a-mat and some drop to play, but only 8 spots are available and unfortunately people didn't think to drop from the tournament (thus I had to give more match losses). In addition, my teammates are 6-0, 4-2, and 4-2.

Since the Win-A-Mat was in the room I was in, I proceeded to supervise both the Win-A-Mat and Regionals. The Win-A-Mat finishes about 15 minutes after Round 7 but everyone was ensuring that the match slips and everything was right (which they were).

After the win-a-mat concludes, the Top 8 starts. Two of my teammates are in the Top 8 and four from my city are in the top 8. What is interesting about this figure is that there were only seven duelists from my city competing. Thus we had an over 50% success rate in the Regionals. In addition, the Top 4 consisted of 3 of 4 people from Fredericton.

The top 8 decks were (in order of place):
1st: Inzektors (7-0, 21 points)
2nd: Inzektors (6-1, 18 points)
3rd: Dragunity Agents (6-1, 18 points)
4th: Rabbit (6-1, 18 points)
5th: Wind-Ups (5-1-1, 16 points)
6th: Heroes (5-2, 15 points)
7th: Dragons (5-2, 15 points)
8th: TG Stun (5-2, 15 points)

T4 was 2 Inzektors, Wind-Ups and Heroes. 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th were the top 4.

JT finally topped his first Regionals and went T4 playing Heroes, and Tom went 8-0 for the day playing my Inzektors. JT and I both got a deck profile for our decks and it was very interesting to see how my Inzektors differed from other builds. I will post a decklist of the Inzektors that was 1st at the Regionals down at the bottom.

After the top 4 was determined, no one wanted to play on and thus I opened my packs. Ulti Giga Mantis, Ultra Zenmaity and Ulti Zenmaity, along with 2 other ultras and 5 supers. Really good pulls - would rather those than a Secret out of the box.

The day was an absolute blast, I asked Scott if he'd like to have me on again and he said he would gladly put my name down. I fully intend on not playing any other Regionals as it allows my team access to decks that they wouldn't necessarily have access to because I'm playing them.

Who knows. Maybe I'll go on to Judge YCS Toronto.

-Jin Kazama

Judge, Moncton Regionals, February 2012

My Inzektor build (8-0, T4, Moncton Regionals, played by Tom):

3 Thunder King Rai-Oh
1 Armageddon Knight
1 Black Luster Soldier
2 Effect Veiler
1 Dark Armed Dragon
3 Inzektor Dragonfly
3 Inzektor Centipede
3 Inzektor Hornet
1 Inzektor Giga-Mantis
1 Inzektor Hopper
2 Card Trooper
1 Sangan

1 Heavy Storm
1 Allure of Darkness
1 Pot of Avarice
1 Mind Control
1 Dark Hole
1 Book of Moon
1 Foolish Burial
1 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 Monster Reborn

2 Call of the Haunted
2 Solemn Warning
1 Solemn Judgment
2 Dimensional Prison
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Mirror Force
1 Trap Dustshoot

Extra
1 Chimeratech Fortress Dragon
1 Wind-Up Zenmaines
1 Leviair
1 Leviathan
1 Utopia
1 Trishula
1 Stardust
1 Thought Ruler
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 Ancient Fairy Dragon
1 Brionac
1 Orient Dragon
1 Android
1 Hyper Librarian
1 Catastor

Side
2 Vanity's Emptiness
1 Reaper
2 Cyber Dragon
2 D.D. Crow
2 Smashing Ground
2 Bottomless Trap Hole
2 Dimensional Fissure
2 Royal Decree

Last edited by Jin Kazama on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixing decklist. Missed Monster Reborn.)

descriptionRegionals Report, February 18th, 2012 EmptyRe: Regionals Report, February 18th, 2012

more_horiz
lol that was pretty inspirational xD and glad heroes was in the top 8

descriptionRegionals Report, February 18th, 2012 EmptyRe: Regionals Report, February 18th, 2012

more_horiz
Jin Kazama wrote:

Dude i was there! i was the guy that beat that dude with divine neos(maybe the guy in fourth was the one i beat?) xD I was 3-0 for a while then lost to dino rabbit cause he top decked a saber saurus =/ It was my first regionals and my deck wasn't even done i was missing like 10 cards XP i think i did pretty good with 4-3 =/ ... And it was a blast! pulled an ulti hanzo so it was a decent day. Do you plan on coming back this august?

more_horiz
Jaden_yuki-- wrote:
Jin Kazama wrote:

Dude i was there! i was the guy that beat that dude with divine neos(maybe the guy in fourth was the one i beat?) xD I was 3-0 for a while then lost to dino rabbit cause he top decked a saber saurus =/ It was my first regionals and my deck wasn't even done i was missing like 10 cards XP i think i did pretty good with 4-3 =/ ... And it was a blast! pulled an ulti hanzo so it was a decent day. Do you plan on coming back this august?

What was your name? (PM it to me if you like). Also I intend on coming back in August and Judging again.

I was the guy in black with the red Dante jacket.

more_horiz
Haha that was an awesome jacket. i was only in that room for the first round tho =/

more_horiz
wow jin that was really a blast Regionals Report, February 18th, 2012 3974120512

more_horiz
YUNOUSEWINDUPS Regionals Report, February 18th, 2012 1211185477

more_horiz
The guy on our team who played Heroes, I thought was going to play Wind-Ups. He liked the deck but felt more comfortable playing Heroes. Guy who played Inzektors was going to play BWs until I convinced him to play my Inzektors. Also, true story: Inzektors vs Heroes in the 4th round. They played one another, and Inzektors won... and then he goes on 7-0 and carries the Heroes up at 5-2.

more_horiz
long article also whats the deck list of the agent draugnity deck? as i have never heard of that and it intrests me ._. but i dont plan on netdecking it i just want a decklist to see how it works :/

more_horiz
wow glad to hear heroes made T4. sounds like a success to my side. anyways to shadow, wind-ups is boring. they are not that amazing anymore cuz they do the same combo over and over again which is boring. well same goes for inzektors, and probable all other top tier decks. except for chaos. they are interesting.

more_horiz
Stopped reading when I hit the decklist

Inzektor Hopper:

No.

more_horiz
Harbinger wrote:
Stopped reading when I hit the decklist

Inzektor Hopper:

No.

Victor on DGz wrote:
I really think people should give Hopper another look. It's a themed Armaggedon Knight that really adds another dimension to the deck.

AK's biggest weakness is that it after you dump Hornet, it's useless. It
does nothing but dump Hornet and sit there with 1400 ATK as a sitting
duck, waiting to get run over. You can't XYZ with it. You don't want to
see it after early game.

In contrast, Hopper + Centipede = Hornet/Dragonfly to hand. Hopper
+ Dragonfly = Hornet on field to be XYZed, and sent to grave, getting
the engine rolling and setting up future plays (this is exactly the role
the 3rd mained MST also fills).

Would you rather end with sitting duck Armaggedon Knight and Hornet in
grave or Zenmaines/Leviathan/ Acid Golem of Destuction/Brilli-Ant
(enabling Chaos), and Hornet in grave?

And once Hopper is in grave, it sits there until a 1600 direct ATK wins the game. It's a gamewinning card, literally.

-----------

And last but not least, what does 1700 ATK get you, that 1400 ATK does not?

It runs over Banisher of the Radiance and crashes with King Tiger Wanghu, both cards that shut down Inzektors. Armageddon Knight can't do anything vs King Tiger Wanghu....

And not to mention, this is an Insect for Lair Wire, that AK is not.

Something to think about.

more_horiz
1 Pot of Avarice

Figured out this was bad on Sunday at traders village when I lost to a turbo dark magician deck...

Might replace it with another arma knight or maybe a safe zone?

more_horiz
Hopper is a 7th out for getting a Hornet since I can equip to it and it also can be equipped to a monster. Plus the fact of the matter is I can push for game in a format where low lifepoints are expected. Ability to attack your opponent directly is winning.

Avarice lets me continue to loop cards. It's a great topdeck, doesn't play well early - and I've got enough cards to keep early games from getting out of hand.

Am having a minor problem with Agents. Not sure if I should change the side to counter it or what.

more_horiz
6th: Heroes (5-2, 15 points)

<--- Happy.

Nothing is as cool as hearing the Eheroes made it to top 8
x3

more_horiz
Jin Kazama wrote:

Am having a minor problem with Agents. Not sure if I should change the side to counter it or what.

Agents are about to get hit, but if you check shriek, you can see that even there people are having problems with agents.

There is no way to not have problems with them, agents are just better than inzekts.

more_horiz
Depends who has the better hand really, an Agents player can never win vs Inzects with a bad hand. And now you can't protect yourself with Dustshoot, so we have a small edge, not counting the limitation of Earth which is not big of a deal.

more_horiz
ill try asking again is it possible for you to give me decklist of the agent dragunity deck that got 3rd place as its gotten me curious as i never thought of dragunities and agents working together and i want to see how it works ._.

more_horiz
mimgrim wrote:
ill try asking again is it possible for you to give me decklist of the agent dragunity deck that got 3rd place as its gotten me curious as i never thought of dragunities and agents working together and i want to see how it works ._.

I don't know the guy personally and he did not want to share a deck profile. Sorry.

more_horiz
mesh well that stinks -.- but thanks for finally replying at least XD

more_horiz
mimgrim wrote:
mesh well that stinks -.- but thanks for finally replying at least XD

I was working on trying to get it so I couldn't confirm nor deny it.

more_horiz
ah well thats makes sense well thanks for trying

more_horiz
For those of you interested, here is me and a deck profile of Tour Guide-less Inzektors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCs1xV5iY2w&list=UUlTE3uT75guamBF_INHPYuA&index=1&feature=plcp

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply