Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

Confidence (Approved by RS)

power_settings_newLogin to reply
+7
Enigma_m7
Anzo
Amy Kool
Diamond
BlackLeg-Sanji
brandy263
Jin Kazama
11 posters

descriptionConfidence (Approved by RS) EmptyConfidence (Approved by RS)

more_horiz
Hello, folks. My name is Jin Kazama and I am going to tell you all a little story about something that you don't experience in a computer duel: confidence.

When duelists are at their best, they feel like they can take on anyone, with any deck, no matter the circumstances. When duelists are at their worst, it doesn't matter what deck they use, they will still lose.

Perhaps the most important thing is that in this game, we are always learning. For the past two months, I've learned by trial and error. Mostly errors, I try one trial and fail.

For the past two months I have been spiralling downwards in my play. It's the worst I've played since prior to 2008 when I topped a Regionals. Let me set up the scene.

Using Gemini Stun I ended up 4-2 (10th) at a 6-round Regionals (58 players) that, had they made it to 65, would have had 7 rounds. I had opened the day at table 29 and at round 3 was sitting at table 1. I lost rounds 3 and 5 to close out just short on tiebreaks.

Coming into this format, I made the switch to Miracle Fusion Heroes. This change was since Miracle Fusion was at 3, Heroes seemed to be a reasonable choice and with the Heroes getting their fusions such as Great Tornado and a reprint on nearly everything else, they were inexpensive and didn't require Tour Guides. Taking my knowledge of the game from then, I made my own Hero Deck. At first, it was rather good.

In September, there was YCS Toronto. I had a new job and sadly could not take the time off from work. A surprising amount of people from our area made the time to attend the YCS (which was a flight of about three hours). I missed out on an opportunity to play against the 'pros'.

I was also back in school that September, so I wasn't studying the large tournaments as much as I could. After that YCS, my play became much worse to the point where it was obvious from an opening hand whether I was going to win or lose.

Unfortunately, I was also giving my opponents cues as to my hand, which gave them the knowledge to counter whatever I had going for me. I wasn't aware of this for a while, until one of my teammates told me I was literally giving away the strength of my hand.

Alongside this, I was struggling with the Hero consistency. I was finding it entirely inconsistent even though statistically speaking it was supposed to be quite consistent. The end result were a lot of difficult plays and relying heavily on luck, something I dislike doing.

I moved to Absolute Zero for two weeks, determining that was even less consistent. I moved to Agents... a splash the first week in winning a local tournament, and the second week everyone shut me down because I kept giving away what was in my hand.

I also found myself discussing aloud what my opponent could have, which is a BAD idea during a tournament because they will no doubt surprise you. Also, by discussing your opponent's outs, they can formulate what you might have in your hand.

Three weeks ago, I was told this information, and three weeks ago I built a deck for locals that I had looked at online but made a chaos variant of. I'm not showing the deck in the effort to save it for my next DA Article. Armed with a poker face, I T4ed with it two weeks in a row before winning a box event and got my groove back. This week, while I went 3-1, I placed 5th due to terrible tiebreakers.

Perhaps, during a match, you should think about what you're doing. If you get that Monster Reborn, don't automatically look at graveyards. Or if you don't get that Monster Reborn, look at graveyards to throw your opponent off. The less they know the better chance you have of winning, and being deceptive is good in the game of Yugioh. Even if you think you can win that turn, be deceptive as possible. Who knows if they have a card like Maxx "C" in their hand?

Thanks for taking the time to read this article. I'm going to have another one around here sometime this or next week about side-decking, an important part of Yugioh that sometimes gets overlooked by the online duelist.

-Jin
2009, 2011 Nationals Invite

Author's note: I apologize if this looks dry. It's difficult to effectively explain the topic with pictures.

Last edited by Jin Kazama on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

descriptionConfidence (Approved by RS) EmptyRe: Confidence (Approved by RS)

more_horiz
i have the exact same problems especially trying to find a deck that suits me

more_horiz
Good tips u have here Jin, nice article :3

more_horiz
Nice article, probably why I like the online arenas better :/ I get excited over my good cards so quickly Razz

more_horiz
Good points Jin. Very different article from standard ones and that's why I like it. We all get to graveyard when we get reborn at some points of weakness. Reminding on those hand revealing things is always good thing :D

more_horiz
Last time you wrote something that big was about some turny and how your plants were awesome xD

more_horiz
Lol i just realize that i do the same sh!t from the beginning of this format.When i'm already bored in the middle of the duel and just trying to finish as faster i can, using stupid conversations.And also this "I also found myself discussing aloud what my opponent could have, which is a BAD idea" , so damn true.Not just bad idea, i remember how annoying it was when i played tcg, someone asked me do i have this, do i have that.It's just stupid, no one gonna tell ya what he has anyway.There are some little mind tricks in this game which in fact are really important and can win/lose ya game.Nice article, Jin. Wink

more_horiz
I always fake my opponent out by telling him what I do have. I say things like don't ATK with Stardust I have d.fissure f/d and they don't believe me, then they ATK and I flip it and they rage.

then in the 2nd duel. all I do is lie lie lie. and they don't know if im telling the truth or lying. and they end up playing conservatively.

more_horiz
Staxx wrote:
I always fake my opponent out by telling him what I do have. I say things like don't ATK with Stardust I have d.fissure f/d and they don't believe me, then they ATK and I flip it and they rage.

then in the 2nd duel. all I do is lie lie lie. and they don't know if im telling the truth or lying. and they end up playing conservatively.

D-Prison?

@Anzo: Never played plants, ever. :/

more_horiz
Whenever I duel, although I don't duel IRL often, I just try to plan my moves each turn at a time.
ex(online)-I get a Future Fusion, Bladedge, and Miracle Fusion,
use FF, summon bladedge (sending Necro to grave with FF), then hold Miracle just in case they retaliate with a trap, if they do I fuse in MP2, if not I might hold Miracle, depending on circumstances.

more_horiz
Finally an article about smthn else that matter in this game
This is what separates the good players from the pro players
you can be a really good and know what your doing but be really easy to read and not able to read your opponent you may have Game with your hand and not be able to read your opponent and get shut down with a gorz and lose the next turn get punished by your opponent from over extending also now with all the hand traps( effect velier, maxx c, d.d crow, gorz .....etc) you need to be able to read all that before playing if you cant learn that you will never be on the Pro level no matter how good you are at the moment

I have problems with this from time to time and sometimes i read my opponent perfectly and still run into his trap fully knowing i will fail any ideas on how to work on that??

more_horiz
Darkness: If you think you've got a dead read on something, say Mirror Force, wait until you find an out to it or play conservatively. Don't all-out attack into it, or try making a stardust to bait it out. If you don't overextend, you normally win games.

more_horiz
well ya but if you think about it waiting to get an out opens more option for my opponent so ill have to switch my playing style to counter what he gets while waiting for an out for Mirror force is to much stress Razz

more_horiz
Take a massage while you duel, so you get invincible to stress Wink

more_horiz
yup i agree with everyone else sorry for interrupting this conversation but it is easy to read your opponent because the face-downs are mostly traps and spells like solemn,mirror forces,bottomless,and others but usually u would get a good draw like breaker or heavy but royal decree that's a good card and also jinzo like me i have a jinzo return deck so i stop my opponent from activating traps and mostly spells too and its awesome :D i know its hard to predict it but u have to try your best at times and at the worst you can let it go or do something about it its like a grab and let go kind of thing

more_horiz
Darkness: Just because you're playing as though he has mirror force doesn't mean sit on it for too long. Don't be afraid to attack with two monsters. Don't put 5 on the field and attack with them is what I'm saying. Keep something there just in case.

more_horiz
i see so ill have to bait it out if i have no outs for it at the time or wait till i have smthn to bait it out or draw into an out makes sense thanks Wink

more_horiz
im going to add u as a friend because your story was awesome

more_horiz
Cool story bro. I like the advise you give for all inexperience duelist, like myself who just started going local tourny. anyways thanks!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply