Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

Deck Building Crash Course

power_settings_newLogin to reply
+4
BlackLeg-Sanji
Galaksii
Jv
Etwizzy
8 posters

descriptionDeck Building Crash Course EmptyDeck Building Crash Course

more_horiz

Introduction

A good deck is always balanced & Consistent. A good ratio is usually around 20 monsters, 10 spell and 10 traps (but all decks vary slightly) because having a heavy count of one type of card will lead to bricked hands that you cant
do anything with. Often neglected is the importance of keeping your deck at 40 cards. Imagine you're playing a card game where one golden card can guarantee you victory. Wouldn't you want to draw that "Golden Card" every time to achieve that instant victory and satisfaction? Unfortunately for you, 39 cards must stand between you and that golden card. Now, taking into account this scenario, why would you want to decrease your chances of drawing that golden card by adding more obstacles? Each card you add beyond the 40 minimum takes you one card away from drawing that boss card you need to emerge triumphant.
Also a deck should always have good draw power / deck thinning abilities and be able to search out key cards when needed.

How many copies of 'X' card do I need?

It's no secret that playing multiple of a single card helps you accessing it faster and earlier in the game. Using many copies of a single card allows for more uses and re-uses

Run 3 of cards what you need to see regularly and rely on.
Run 2 of cards you need but don't need to see as often.
Run 1 of cards which help you improve your gamestate but only need on a rare occasions.

[blur]Synergy[/color]

It is very important for a deck to work together and have synergy with one another . Archetype decks have synergy since the cards were designed to work together.
you don't want too much going on at once in a single deck because it isn't going to work well together.

[blur]Eliminate What Doesn't Work[/color]

I don't care how much you love a certain card or how cool you think it is if it doesn't work in the deck its a dead draw and will potentially lose you the game.
You wouldn't Run BLS in a deck with no Light or Dark monsters would you?

Avoid Situational Cards

Situational cards refer to those cards who only have a limited use. While they may have great effects, they're useless most of the time or only works with a select few cards or in some cases outclassed by superior cards.
Remember, the fewer restrictions to activate powerful effects, the better.

Extra deck

Extra deck monsters add more power and versatility to the deck due to their strength and abilities. Since the extra deck size is limited to 15, you must make wise choices to include the ones you can summon easily and help the deck.

Side deck

All of your side deck cards should counter a deck or more. For example, if you're facing Shaddolls, it'd be wise to side in Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror and Vanity's Emptiness.  Side decks are there to help you against a variety of match ups by replacing useless cards in your deck for better ones.

Research

You may be interesting in making a deck but have no idea to how to make it properly. In this case, you have to do some research work. It's not a sin to read on articles, guides or look at decklists to get the gist of how the deck works.
In order to get better at anything, in order to develop your talents, you must fill yourself with knowledge that works. You must research decks similar to yours, talk to people running similar decks, and ask advice of skilled players in the game.
Your goal isn't to copy/net deck, but to take aspects from other strategies to improve your own. A good place to start would be at the Deck Discussion section CLICK HERE!

For a more in depth (but slightly outdated) guide check outs nekojfungs guide here

Last edited by Roach on Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:49 pm; edited 3 times in total

descriptionDeck Building Crash Course EmptyRe: Deck Building Crash Course

more_horiz
@seanmaguir17

more_horiz
Deck Building Crash Course U8fYkK1

Why ?!

more_horiz
To show how to keep things balanced.

more_horiz
That still depends on what Archetype you're playing...
HEROes for example play small number of monsters, like only 10, to make things stable along with backrow and stuff

descriptionDeck Building Crash Course EmptyDefault Title

more_horiz
I did state ''All decks slightly very from each other but try to keep it as even as possible.''

This article is more aimed at slifers etc to help them build a deck on there own.

more_horiz
Gotcha

more_horiz
Why not follow this: http://www.duelacademy.net/t3393-an-in-depth-deck-builder-s-guide-v2-0 ?

more_horiz
Mkaiii™ wrote:
Why not follow this: http://www.duelacademy.net/t3393-an-in-depth-deck-builder-s-guide-v2-0 ?

Neco best at it...

more_horiz
Too long. someone must do  the V3: and cut half useless words. A Summary.

more_horiz
Mkaiii™ wrote:

Funny enough I was trying to find this to link in the OP (will do when I go home) this is just a quick crash course, I could go full in depth but people lose interest so I try to keep it short and sweet.

more_horiz
Jv1391 wrote:
Too long. someone must do  the V3: and cut half useless words. A Summary.

Roach wrote:
Mkaiii™ wrote:

Funny enough I was trying to find this to link in the OP (will do when I go home)  this is just a quick crash course, I could go full in depth but people lose interest so I try to keep it short and sweet.

Just do  a review and short that

more_horiz
I'll put it on my to do list Wink

more_horiz
Well maybe I'll do it myself, but since my english sometimes is so bad I'd prefer you to do it :3

more_horiz
Yeah please dont Deck Building Crash Course 3974120512 I may not be perfect but mine would be alot more understandable lol

more_horiz
well boya you are england-born so if yours is worst than mine, I can die in piece .-.

more_horiz
Mine is even better mate :>

more_horiz
Really?
Deck Building Crash Course 3f4a5578d9f990a676f4bff03c9050e2

more_horiz
Stay on topic ._.

Both Deck Building guides are pretty much cool. However, I'd take a modern guide over a 5-year-old guide anytime, anywhere.

more_horiz
R.I.P neko's guide

Thank you roach, for giving us a modern deck guide, after years of relying on pre-xyz guides.  cheers

more_horiz
No worries glad you like it Wink

more_horiz
Neko's deck building is immortal though.

more_horiz
BlackWarGreymon wrote:
Neko's deck building is immortal though.

Yup, Nothing wrong with Neko's guide its just a bit long winded.

more_horiz
It has a lot of math lolz

Though this topic needs more info about side and strategy.

more_horiz
This is just a crash course to help newer players and not to overwhelm them with to much and make there minds explode lol a more in-depth guide is in the making but its not a priority at the moment as im focusing on other things.

more_horiz
Do the V3 of the above V2 croack! you know you wanna do.

more_horiz
I am but it still takes time and I've got other more important things to do first. Its not the sort of thing I can do in a hour lol I will come in good time.

more_horiz
okay give the job to galaksii, technically he is an assistant too. technically :3

more_horiz
Galawho? O you mean the one who turns up occasionally to spam lol Deck Building Crash Course 3974120512

more_horiz
Galaksii-eyes Non-assistant dragon!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply